Welcome to the best phase of your life when you will get the best possible attention from yourself as well as those around you.
Diet becomes the crucial part once you have conceived. You will now have to center your diet plans on the real concept – eating right, not more!
Consuming Oils During Pregnancy:
As much as it is important to focus on the food groups that you will be eating during pregnancy, it is also equally vital to understand the kind of oils that form a part of your meals.
- Olive oil is considered to be the best option among the rest, not only for pregnant women, but for everyone.
- Adding olive oil to your diet has great benefits while you are pregnant.
- Let us understand more about olive oil, its benefits and the amount to be consumed during pregnancy.
Origin Of Olive Oil:
Olive tree, which yields olive fruits, is a native of the Mediterranean region. Olive oil is obtained by crushing olives with a process known as maceration.
- Known by the botanical name of Olea Europaea, olive oil is a common ingredient used in the cuisine of countries such as Spain, Greece, Portugal and Italy.
- Apart from cooking, olive oil is used extensively in cosmetics and medicine industry.
- The oil, which adds a distinct flavor to food, has proven to have health benefits, making it popular around the globe.
5 Benefits Of Olive Oil During Pregnancy:
Is olive oil safe during pregnancy? It is perfectly safe to consume olive oil when pregnant. In fact, this oil contains many vitamins and useful forms of fatty acids which are important for both you and your baby growing in the womb. Below are some of the major benefits of olive oil:
1. Fights Infections:
The vitamin A content in olive protects your immune system while expecting and keeps you safe from infections. Vitamin A is also linked with healthy eyes and helps forming enhanced vision in the growing baby.
[ Read: Clove Oil During Pregnancy ]
2. Improves Reflexes In Babies:
According to a recent research, babies born to women who consumed olive oil during pregnancy had developmental advantages, as compared to those born to mothers who did not. The psycho-motor reflex of these babies was particularly better evidenced.
3. Healthy Fetal Development:
Olive oil has a high content of omega-3 fatty acids which are considered good for heart. When consumed by pregnant women, the oil can have a positive role in the fetal development.
- Some studies have shown that olive oil improves the functioning of brain as well as learning skills of young children post birth.
- There is also a link between consumption of olive oil by mother and its influence on child’s weight, height and cognitive development.
[ Read: Primrose Oil In Pregnancy ]
4. Vitamin E:
Olives are not high in Vitamin E but due to their resistance to oxidation, this quantity is enough for pregnant women.
- Vitamin E aids in the growth of the baby preparing him to enter the oxygen filled atmosphere.
- It enters the baby through breast milk and is especially good in case of premature babies helping their kidneys and pancreas function properly.
5. Reduces Stretch Marks:
Use of olive oil for stretch marks during pregnancy really helps. The stretching of the pelvic muscles and expanding abdomen results in the formation of stretch marks when you are in your last trimester.
- Regular application of olive oil in pregnancy lightens these marks and in some cases even makes them disappear.
- Remember that it is not a magic potion that works overnight. The application has to be continued for a couple of weeks for best results.
The health benefits of olive oil for pregnant women cannot be over emphasized. External use on skin can be continued even after childbirth. However, excess consumption might not be recommended. Ensure the intake of olive oil in optimal levels, as it is like any other oil.
If you plan to incorporate olive oil for the very first time into your diet, make sure you discuss the same with your doctor before doing so.
Moms, share your favorite olive oil recipes with us in the section below!
References : 1
- Is It Safe To Use Almond Oil During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Fish Oil During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Evening Primrose Oil During Pregnancy?
- 18 Vitamin E Rich Foods You Should Take During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Deepa Balasubramanian (see all)
- 6 Useful Tips To Store Formula Milk For Your Baby - June 30, 2017
- Cervical Mucus And Ovulation - Everything You Need To Know - January 9, 2015
- Can You Ovulate More Than Once Per Month Or Cycle? - December 31, 2014