You’re pregnant! This is the time when you need to add the additional dose of nutrients to make your diet healthy. A diet packed with nutrients is what you need for healthy growth of your unborn child. The crunchy juicy sweet corn on the cob may be the simplest pleasures that you crave for in pregnancy.
Is it safe to eat sweet corn during pregnancy? Good news is – sweet corn is absolutely safe to have during pregnancy. You can munch on your favorite sweet corn by boiling, steaming or grilling. So, the next time you have a snack craving, you have the healthy corns by your side.
10 Health Benefits Of Sweet Corn During Pregnancy:
Sweet corn apart from being nutritious is extremely delicious as well. Here we shall take a closer look at the benefits of taking corn in pregnancy:
- This grain is rich in protein and fiber that you need in pregnancy. One ounce of sweet corn has nearly 5 gm protein and 2.9 gm of fiber.
- The nutrient dense sweet corn is a rich source of minerals and vitamins. One single large serving of sweet corn contains 386 mg potassium and folate of 60 gm.
- Folic acid is particularly necessary to reduce chances of birth defects in the unborn child.
[ Read: Folic Acid During Pregnancy ]
- Sweet corn is rich in beta carotene and antioxidants like xanthins, lutein that improves eyesight of your unborn child.
- According to studies conducted by the Cornell University, sweet corn contains anti oxidants that help fighting against cancers.
- The grain contains phenolic compound known as ferulic acid that helps fighting against tumors and reduces your risks of breast cancers.
- You can find volumes of phytochemicals in sweet corn.
- Vitamin B12 contained in corn helps prevent anemia which is absolutely undesirable in pregnancy. This essential mineral also helps in formation of new blood cells.
- Sweet corn is a major source of beta-carotene which supplies vitamin A to the body upon conversion. Vitamin A in pregnancy ensures healthy mucus membrane and skin in your unborn child. It also helps boosting the immune system.
- Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry states that consumption of corn husk oil helps lowering plasma LDL by reducing absorption of cholesterol in the body. Presence of the “Good Cholesterol” offers plenty of benefits to your body in pregnancy.
[ Read: Anemia In Pregnancy ]
How To Enjoy Sweet Corn?
You have so many reasons to dream of sweet corn and forget about the junks you ate in snacks. Here are some ways to enjoy them!
- You can add them in your toast, soup, sandwiches and enjoy them in whichever form you like.
- Add them in rice dishes and pastas. Make them an integral part of salads!
[ Read: Pasta During Pregnancy ]
- The smell of the corn on cob along with the barbecued steak is surely going to bring water to your mouth, the moment you think about it.
- Even though it is a vegetable, it has become a star main course today.
Important Considerations To Keep In Mind:
There is no doubt in the fact that sweet corn is a storehouse of all nutrients you need in pregnancy. However you need to be careful before eating sweet corn during pregnancy:
- Make sure you are not consuming it in excess, as too much of nothing is good.
- Corn contains high amount of fatty acids, so if you are at risk of heart problems, reduce your daily intake.
- If you suffer from indigestion, inform your doctor. She shall suggest if you should continue taking corn in any form at this stage.
[ Read: Indigestion During Pregnancy ]
- Avoid artificial syrups or sweetening in corn to get the most of the grained stuff.
- It is always better to look for fresh corn rather than the frozen or the canned ones.
- To enjoy the best taste, consume them within few days.
- To keep the corn fresh, keep the husk intact and store away in a tight container in the refrigerator.
Enjoy your pregnancy with wide range of foods and delicacies. Remember to be safe and stay away from foods causing discomforts of any type. Leave it on your healthcare provider to take decisions; do not make the mistake of deciding what is right and what is wrong for you at this stage.
Moms, do share the different ways you consumed sweet corn in pregnancy.
Reference : 1
- Is It Safe To Eat Potato During Pregnancy?
- 5 Health Benefits Of Sweet Potato During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Tomatoes During Pregnancy?
- 3 Nutritional Benefits Of Okra During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Mushroom During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015