Congratulations on your pregnancy. This is the time when you need to stay in good health and keep at bay complications.
In case you have a high blood pressure in pregnancy, you may be prescribed labetalol to decrease heart rate and improve blood flow to keep down the blood pressures. But, is labetalol safe during pregnancy? Read on to know more:
Why Labetalol Is Used?
Use of labetalol is common during pregnancy for those who require it. The reasons are:
- Labetalol helps treating chronic high blood pressure that requires medicine. Your doctor may also prescribe other medicines to you at this time if necessary.
- If you have asthma, diabetes or bronchitis in pregnancy, you must carefully use the medicine.
- You must also consult with the doctor about its use if you are suffering from overactive thyroid gland, liver or kidney disease or slow rate of heart.
Effects Of Labetalol During Pregnancy:Sponsored
While labetalol during pregnancy is considered effective for lowering high blood pressure, you must be careful about probable side effects as well. Here are lists of side effects of labetalol in pregnancy you must be watchful at:
- Generally the benefits of the medicine outweigh the side effects. The side effects may wither away after some time when you start taking the medicine.
- If you are bothered about the side effects, have a word with your doctor. He might change the dosage.
- Call emergency if you suffer from swelling of throat, tongue, lip, face and have breathing troubles.
You must report the doctor in case of the following:
1. Stuffy nose
2. Itchiness in the scalp
4. Lack of energy
5. Weakness, sleepiness or dizziness
In some rare cases the medicine is known to increase heart rate of the fetus. It is thus important to monitor your blood pressure on a regular basis and the prescribed medicines may be reduced if required.
[ Read: Dizziness During Pregnancy ]
What You Need To Be Careful About?
While taking labetalon in pregnancy has its own benefits and side effects. Here are some things you must know:
- Labetalol helps lowering high blood pressure and thus your fetus as well as you is monitored closely while taking the medicine.
- Medicines for blood pressure are generally not given to treat mild high blood pressures since any mild pressure problem causes no significant harm to you or your baby.
- If you are required to take any medicine, it must be prescribed by the medical practitioner only. This will ensure you and your baby do not suffer from any complications in the future.
- You must show up for the regular checkups. This will ensure safety for you as well as your child.
- You must be well aware of your test results and know the medicines that you are supposed to take.
[ Read: Zoloft During Pregnancy ]
US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) marks labetalol as a C category medicine, because of the unknown risk factors linked with its consumption. A doctor shall prescribe you this C category medicine only if he measures the benefits far outweigh the risks to your unborn child.
- Pregnancy Category C is tagged to medicines that have not been studied on humans, but shows side effects when experimented on animals. Temporary side effects like slow heart rate of the unborn child and permanent birth defects were noticed in some cases.
- As the use of labetalol on pregnant animals showed adverse effects. Your doctor may prescribe you alternate treatment solutions if he thinks the medicine may risk your pregnancy.
[ Read: Nifedipine In Pregnancy ]
So, do not panic! Leave your worries at the hands of your healthcare provider, who shall offer you the best possible treatment to ensure a healthy and relaxed pregnancy.
Moms, tell us if you had high pressure in pregnancy and what you did to deal with it in the comment section below.
Reference : 1
- Is It Safe To Take Nifedipine During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Take Metformin During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Take Zofran During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Zoloft (Antidepressants) During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015