The entire duration of pregnancy is marked by a lot of physical and physiological changes that your body undergoes. As a result, there would be some reaction to these changes on the part of your body. Of these reactions, the most common is morning sickness or nausea.
Morning sickness or nausea and vomiting can be really troublesome as it occurs at unexpected occasions and also makes it difficult for the expecting mother to keep down her food. Most pregnant women prefer zofran as a remedy for morning sickness. But, is Zofran safe for pregnancy? Read to know:
Zofran For Nausea During Pregnancy:
Zofran is known as a medication that is used to treat nausea. It is also quite effective in treating morning sickness in pregnant women.
- Morning sickness usually marks the first trimester of your pregnancy. In some women it may continue on till the very end of their pregnancy while in some others this problem terminates after a while. So let us know a little more about Zofran.
- Zofran is marketed by GlaxoSmithKline, a leading pharmacy company in the world.
- It was first formulated in the year 1984 as a medication to treat nausea and vomiting that was experienced after a session of chemotherapy.
- It is commonly used to treat cases of nausea very effectively.
- Zofran enters the blood stream through the liver where it is assimilated. It then goes on to curb nausea.
- The effects of Zofran usually last for up to six to seven hours.
- Presently, Zofran is being prescribed by doctors all over the world as an effective treatment for the nausea or morning sickness that pregnant women experience during the months of gestation.
[ Read: Vomiting During Pregnancy ]
Benefits Of Using Zofran:
Zofran works like a miracle drug for pregnant women who need to control their bouts of nausea. It is highly effective and is an easy remedy.
- Morning sickness is essentially a cause for the loss of vital nutrition as the expecting mother is unable to retain the food that she consumes. Using Zofran helps prevent this.
- Since your baby’s healthy is largely dependent on your well-being, it is not a good idea to suffer silently through nausea pangs. Zofran can easily resolve this problem.
- One of the major ways in which the mother and the baby’s health are maintained is physical activity during pregnancy. Morning sickness can curb this. Zofran use helps you to stay active and healthy.
- Excessive nausea and vomiting can lead to dehydration and a condition called hyperemesis gravidarum wherein it becomes difficult for the pregnant woman to eat anything and keep it down. Taking Zofran prevents this from occurring.
- Taking pre-natal vitamins and other drugs throughout your pregnancy months is vital for the baby’s health. Since you cannot afford to lose all those nutrients by vomiting constantly, it is best to use Zofran and treat your morning sickness.
[ Read: Accutane And Pregnancy ]
Zofran During Pregnancy – Is It Safe?
The use of Zofran as an anti-morning sickness drug during pregnancy is not medically approved by the FDA. There is a lot of speculation regarding the safety of its use.
- Studies have not been able to establish the safety of this drug’s use with firm assurance.
- It is speculated that Zofran may cause developmental problems in the fetus as it is used at a very early stage of pregnancy.
- There have studies that reveal that certain conditions in the baby’s physical appearance may be directly linked to the use of Zofran.
[ Read: Ibuprofen During Pregnancy ]
All these speculations and studies, however, do not have a strong basis. There has been no certainty in these reports and Zofran continues to be used widely to deal with morning sickness by pregnant women all over.
We hope that this article on usage of Zofran during pregnancy clears all your doubts. We would like to hear your views. Do tell us at.
- Is It Safe To Take Ibuprofen During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Take/Consume Antibiotics During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Antacid During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Take Migraine Medication During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by needhi gandhi (see all)
- 10 Best John Deere Coloring Pages Your Toddler Will Love To Color - November 19, 2014
- 4 Stages of Intellectual Development In Children - November 5, 2014
- Top 25 Cowboy Coloring Pages For Your Little Ones - October 13, 2014