Did you know that using the mobile phone for too long can have adverse effects on your unborn baby? If you are wondering whether it is safe to use your mobile phone during pregnancy, fret not! Read our post here and learn all about it.
While there are many studies about the effects of radiations from electronic devices, Yale school of Medicine researchers recently studied the effects of mobile phones on fetuses. The shocking study finds out that pregnant women using mobile phones are more likely to give birth to children with behavioral problems. The radiations impact the fetal brain development and also cause hyperactivity.
During pregnancy, you talk over the phone, text, make appointments with your Gynecologist, research baby needs and more. So, how does all the usage over the phone affect your growing baby? Read on to know what the science says to ease your concerns over mobile usage during pregnancy.
Why To Worry Over Wireless:
In today’s world, you don’t just rely on mobile phones to stay in touch with your near and dear ones, and get any sort of work done. The laptops, tablets, and all other wireless internet connections are pervasive, no matter when and where. All these electronic devices emit and receive electromagnetic radio waves to communicate with one another and the outside world. These waves, however, a tiny fraction of them, ends up inside the bodies. When your body exposes to a higher extent to these waves, they can cause DNA damage and change the conformation of molecules of the living cells. The after effects whether they remain for long term or not depends on the frequency and strength of the waves.
Wireless devices are the only sources where you will expose yourself to the radio waves. And did you know that the sun, X-ray machines, radio, microwave, granite countertop and airplanes all emit radio waves but of varying levels? Therefore, it is advisable to stay away from them. And it is the reason your doctor may advise you to avoid exposure to any unnecessary waves during pregnancy.
What Does The Research Say About Mobile Phone During Pregnancy?
Since the energy of the waves from the mobile phone lie somewhere in between the X-rays and granite countertop, researchers raise doubts on whether the waves can affect the fetuses. In a growing baby, the cells are fast replicating and vulnerable to outside disturbances. But, studies have so far been unable to find anything that cause a concern with mobile usage.
A team of scientists led by Dr. Hugh S. Taylor at Yale exposed pregnant mice to mobile phones by keeping the phones active. They placed the muted phones in active phone call above the cage for a duration of two weeks. There was another control group also with the same conditions, but with a deactivated phone.
The baby mice were then tested for their behavior and memory capacity. Mice born to mothers exposed to the mobile phone activity found to have behavioral problems that are characteristic of ADHD in humans. However, research in mice may not always hold true in human beings. And in this case, there is a high possibility since humans may not spend all 24 hours in 7 days over the mobile phone during pregnancy (1).
Here is another study by scientists in Denmark. They examined the prenatal and postnatal exposure to mobile phones and behavioral problem in children. Mother’s of seven-year olds were given a questionnaire regarding the health and behavior of their children, and the history of past exposure to the phone. After the survey, they found that exposure to mobile phone prenatally and postnatally, to a lesser extent was associated with hyperactivity and other behavioral problems in children (2).
The researchers interpreted that these associations may be due to unmeasured confounding and non-causal. Also, in response, the UK National Health Service wrote, “this study cannot prove a proper association between pregnant’s exposure to mobile and behavioral problems.”
It is, therefore, important to note that research studies of the kind cannot exactly prove a link between mobile usage during pregnancy and developmental disorders in children.
[ Read: Electric Blanket During Pregnancy ]
Impacts Of Overuse Of Mobile Phone During Pregnancy:
The usage of cell phones has increased more than a call in the past decade. As the phones now-a-days are mini – computer, music system, and a gaming system. A single portable gadget obviously increases its general usage as well as the radiation.
- Although researchers have not yet fully understood the effects of low level radiation on the DNA and cells.
- But a co-relation exists between the radiation and physiological and/or neurological disorders in a child.
- This may not be the definition of a cause and effect relationship; it might be something you want to take care of.
- The WHO (World Health Organization) defines such risks as ‘possibly carcinogenic’ and states “overall the studies on residential ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) magnetic field exposure have provided some limited evidence for increased miscarriage risk associated with magnetic field exposure.” (2)
[ Read: Heating Pads During Pregnancy ]
The above kind of research is inconclusive, and you cannot recommend pregnant women to reduce their exposure to mobile phone usage. The WHO (World Health Organization) also states that “Pregnant women have not raised any health concerns about using the mobile phone.”
You need to take extra precautions to ease the worries. Here are a few tips that will keep you and your baby safe:
- Keep your mobile phone a few feet away if you are not using it
- You can consider using a hands-free device like speaker phone or headset
- Instead of talking, opt for texting, and while sending the text, keep the phone as far away as possible before pressing the send button.
- In case the call is urgent, keep it as short as possible.
- Whenever possible, use a corded phone.
- Make calls in areas with high coverage of network and avoid the ones with the low reception since the phone emits more radiation because it tries harder to connect.
- Reducing your screen time is advisable during all stages of life, particularly during pregnancy, where everything that you experience has a direct impact on your baby’s health.
- Do not carry mobile in your pocket since it can be close to your belly
- Do not keep the mobile under your pillow when sleeping
[ Read: Heating Pads During Pregnancy ]
We would recommend sticking to healthier and natural modes of entertainment and staying healthy. Reducing unwanted stress is more important than anything to keep you and your baby healthy.
So, what is your opinion on using the mobile phone during pregnancy? Do share your views with us.
- Is It Safe To Use A Heating Pad During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Use Electric Blanket During Pregnancy?
- 4 Useful Tips Of Using Doppler Fetal Monitor At Home
Latest posts by Shahida (see all)
- Top 10 Hanukkah Crafts And Activities For Kids - August 2, 2014
- 6 Best Precautions To Take During The First Trimester Of Pregnancy - July 14, 2014
- Is It Safe To Use A Mobile Phone During Pregnancy? - July 9, 2014