Are you pregnant and ready to screen everything that you eat and drink for the next few months? Do you want to be sure about what you eat? Do you love sauerkraut, but aren’t sure about its safety during your special time? Or maybe you have only recently discovered sauerkraut, and you want to know if you can go ahead and have it?
Whatever your reasons, scroll down and learn whether or not you should have sauerkraut during pregnancy.
What Is Sauerkraut?
The exact translation of the word ‘sauerkraut’ means sour cabbage. It is originally a German dish in which the cabbage is chopped and pickled. The cabbage is chopped up into fine pieces and then fermented using different lactic acid bacteria.
Is Sauerkraut Safe During Pregnancy?Sponsored
As with anything you eat or drink when you are pregnant, it is important first to take a go-ahead from your doctor. Each pregnancy is unique, and your pregnancy health and your overall health will determine whether or not you can eat sauerkraut while you are pregnant. In most cases, eating sauerkraut when pregnant is considered safe and even healthy, with various health benefits. There are no known side effects of eating the sauerkraut while pregnant but do check with your doctor first, to be sure.
[ Read: Eating Hummus During Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Eating Sauerkraut During Pregnancy?
Sauerkraut is full of various health benefits and can provide you with some very important nutrients that are important for both you and your unborn baby (1).
- One cup of sauerkraut contains about 2 mg of iron. While you are pregnant, you need about 27 mg of iron each day. Eating a cup of sauerkraut daily will take care of 7% of your daily iron needs.
- Iron is an important nutrient while you are pregnant, because it helps prevent or reduce the occurrence of premature delivery. Having the required amount of iron also ensures that your baby does not have a low birth weight.
- One cup of sauerkraut is also rich in its folate content. Folate prevents various birth defects in the unborn baby and is recommended to pregnant women by their doctors.
- The vitamin C found in a cup of sauerkraut will help your body absorb the iron it also gets from the same food source. Not just that, it will also help to promote the healthy development of tissues for both you and your little angel.
- Eating one cup of sauerkraut daily will also provide you with 4.1 gm of fiber. Constipation is a common problem that you may face while you are pregnant, and eating a cup of sauerkraut will ensure you do not have any constipation troubles. The fiber present in sauerkraut will keep your digestion healthy and ensure you have regular and smooth bowel movements.
- A cup of sauerkraut also contains about 939 mg of sodium, which may seem a lot when you are not pregnant. However, during pregnancy, your body will need the additional sodium, so eating one cup a day is fine.
Make Sauerkraut At Home:
You Will Need:
- 2 shredded cabbage heads
- 2 tbsp. sea salt
- In a large bowl, mix the cabbage and the salt. Keep squeezing the cabbage and knead it with your hands.
- Once the cabbage releases its juice, place it in a vegetable fermenter. Pack it tightly till the cabbage is submerged in the liquid. Cover it and place in room temperature without disturbing it for one to six months. Once done, you can keep it in the fridge and use it within a year.
Do you love sauerkraut too? Did you have it when you were pregnant? Did your doctor recommend it or ask you to avoid it? Tell us below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Pate During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Imitation Crab During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Parsley During Your Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Greek Yogurt During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017