It is rightly said that too much of anything is bad. Heat is very much needed for our survival, but if absorbed in excess, can cause array of problems. Heat stroke is one such problem.
Heat stroke is one of the consequences of an overheated body. It can be dangerous and life threatening for adults too, let alone babies. This largely happens when our body’s mechanism to cool itself down stops working.
Heat Stroke And Babies:
Heat strokes are, surprisingly, found to be common in babies.
- Babies who can walk and crawl are even more prone to it because they like to spend long hours out in the sun while playing without proper hydration.
- Heat stroke happens when your baby is over exposed to high temperature heat for a long time.
- A dehydrated body is the usual reason for a heat stroke, as it leads to it.
[ Read: Dehydration In Infants ]
Symptoms Of Heat Stroke In Babies:
Knowing the symptoms of heat stroke will help you treat your baby at the earliest. Here are the most common symptoms of heat stroke in babies:
2. High temperature (103 degrees Fahrenheit) or even higher without any sign of sweating
3. Severe headache
4. Restless feeling
5. Rapid pulse
6. Dry, hot and red skin
8. Breathing gets rapid and shallow
A milder version of heat stroke is heat exhaustion which has symptoms like:
11. Moist skin
12. Cramps in legs or stomach
14. Tired and lethargic attitude
[ Read: Heat Rash In Babies ]
Time means everything because a baby suffering from heat stroke can slip into unconsciousness within a matter of minutes. Here is what you should do first:
1. Call for emergency help, either your country’s national emergency number or your family doctor’s number.
2. Focus on bringing down your baby’s internal temperature as soon as possible. Undress your baby immediately and make him lie down in a cool area.
3. Try and find a shaded area if you are somewhere out in the sun. Use a sponge cloth or any other cloth to wash him with cool water.
4. Put on the fan or use a magazine or newspaper to fan him. In the meantime, if your baby is conscious, give him something to drink.
5. Refrain from giving your baby any kind of chemical or herbal medicine to reduce the temperature.
6. Heat stroke must be treated immediately to avoid any sort of complications. So the sooner you take him to the hospital, the better.
[ Read: Viral Fever In Infants ]
If not treated on time, heat stroke can turn out to be very dangerous. It is best to prevent it as much as possible. Here’s how:
- Prevent your baby from staying out in the sun for too long. Especially during the hottest time of the day.
- Try and avoid extremities when it comes to physical strain. Always find shade and walk under it with your baby.
- Keep your baby well hydrated by making him drink water and other liquids and fluids. This holds more importance during hotter days. Feed more fruits and other naturally cooling foods to your baby.
- Always allow proper ventilation at home. Make sure your baby’s room also is well-ventilated.
- Do not let your baby wear tight clothes. Make him wear light ones that allow proper ventilation.
- Never leave your baby alone in a locked room or car, even if it is only for a few minutes.
Once your baby recovers from heat stroke, he would still be vulnerable to it. So it is best advised to keep him from going out in the sun. Make him rest in a cool temperature room for about a week and presume normal activities only after your doctor advises so.
We hope this post helped you clear your queries regarding heat stroke in babies. Do write in to us if you have more queries on this topic!
Reference : 1
- Flu In Babies – 10 Symptoms & 7 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 7 Effective Treatments To Cure Cold Sores In Babies
- Thrush In Infants – 2 Causes, 2 Symptoms & 2 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 11 Signs And Symptoms Of Viral Fever In Infants
Latest posts by Akruti (see all)
- Bacterial And Fungal Infections In Children - March 2, 2017
- 8 Effective Natural Remedies To Cure Mosquito Bites In Babies - July 23, 2015
- 4 Unexpected Symptoms Of Colon Cancer In Teens - July 20, 2015