Do you find playing with your toddler a great way to beat the stress after a long day at work? Are you clueless about the fact that there can be stress in toddlers too? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea.
Stress is an inseparable part of our lives today. Excessive stress can lead to diabetes, asthma, depression, anxiety, arthritis, high blood pressure, and even heart problems in adults. (1)
Are you suddenly noticing behavioral issues in your toddler? Crankiness, learning difficulties and bedwetting habits can all be signs of stress in toddlers! Want to know how to help your precious toddler stress at bay? Read on!
Causes Of Toddler Stress:
Stress is a human response to a situation that challenges the capability of the individual. These challenges may be through sources such as family, friends, school, and job, etc.
Toddlers and school going children too, can be prone to stress due to many reasons including the following:
1. Separation from parents: Toddlers can get anxious and stressed as they enter preschool due to the fear of separation from parents and caretakers. The idea of exploring a social setting without their ultimate support system can be a source of fear and stress for them.
[ Read: Parenting Tips For Preschoolers ]
2. Social pressure: It usually affects older children, but some toddlers too, may have a difficult time fitting in with the new surroundings at preschool. They may become shy and withdrawn.
3. Home life: The environment at home has a huge impact on a child’s behaviour and habits. Toddlers who have a traumatic and stressful atmosphere at home due to reasons such as divorce of parents, loss of a family member or abuse, may suffer from stress.
4. Other factors: Several factors such as disturbing images and ideas on news channels and newspapers, illness, financial matters and lack of support from parents can also stress toddlers.
[ Read: Understanding Toddler Behaviour ]
A study reveals that parental stress levels, particularly that of the mother can adversely affect a toddler.
Symptoms Of Stress In Toddlers:
Here are a few signs that indicate your toddler is suffering from stress:
- Poor verbal skill
- Learning disability
- Difficulty in focusing or learning at school
- Memory problems
- Aggressive behaviour
- Verbally abusive
- Inability to trust people
- Difficulty in making friends
- Regressive behaviour
- Demand attention
- Excessive crying and screaming
- Temper tantrums
- Lack of self-confidence
- Anxiety and fear
- Withdrawn behavior
- Exhibit fear of separation from a close one
- Poor sleep habits
- Low weight and poor appetite
- Digestive issues
Tips To Fight Stress:
Following some simple tips could help you alleviate your toddler’s stress. It will also help you establish a healthy mother-child bond.
- Reassure your child by staying close to him and helping him feel safe. If your toddler is anxious about preschool, you could say that you’ll be away for just a short while.
- Talk in a soothing tone to prevent your toddler from getting irritable and cranky.
- Pay attention to your toddler’s behaviour. If he’s whining and throwing tantrums, it may be a reaction to stress. He may also be trying to tell you something.
- Help him express his feelings in words, and set limits at the same time.
[ Read: Fun Activities For Toddlers ]
Remember that stress is a part of life, and you can help your child cope with it by reassuring him of your love and affection. (2) It is a good idea to seek professional help if your toddler continues to suffer from stress despite all your attempts to help him.
If your toddler has suffered from stress, tell us how you helped him tackle it. Please share your tips, experience and advice with us.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder In Kids – What Is It And How To Handle It?
- 4 Effective Treatments To Cure Auditory Processing Disorder In Kids
- Conduct Disorder In Children – 5 Symptoms & 10 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 14 Important Tips To Help You Handle Your Autistic Toddler
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- 8 Helpful Language Development Tips For Children - July 30, 2015