Is your baby girl growing slower than normal? Did the doctor diagnose your little angel with Turner syndrome? If you said yes, read our post to get detailed information about the chromosomal defects in female babies.
More About Turner Syndrome In Babies:
Turner syndrome is a kind of genetic disorder that affects baby girls. It affects their height, as babies with Turner syndrome are shorter than their healthy contemporaries.
The severity of the disease varies amongst individuals. Some babies may also suffer from heart or liver problems. You can determine the extent of Turner’s syndrome with a proper medical diagnosis. (1)
[ Read: Asperger’s Syndrome In Babies ]
Causes Of Turner Syndrome In Babies:Sponsored
Most of the babies are born with two sex chromosomes. A baby boy inherits Y chromosome from his father and X chromosome from his mother. On the other hand, a baby girl inherits X chromosome from both the parents. But, if one copy of the X chromosome is missing, the girl develops Turner syndrome.
The chromosomal alteration of Turner syndrome may occur due to the following reasons:
The father’s X chromosome may be missing, due to the dysfunction of the father’s sperm or the mother’s egg. Thus, the baby’s body consists of a single X chromosome, and she suffers from Turner syndrome.
During the process of cell division, some error may develop within the growing fetus. Thus, the body loses one copy of the X chromosome.
The missing or altered X chromosome in the female baby develops certain health complexities. Some of the observable health complications of the chromosomal error include shorter height and ovarian failure (2).
Symptoms Of Turner Syndrome In Babies:
Some of the noticeable symptoms of Turner Syndrome in babies include:
- Smaller height at birth
- Fingernails and toenails are narrow and point upwards
- Delayed body growth
- Wide and webbed neck
- Drooping eyelids
- Widely spaced nipples
- Small lower jaw
- Shorter hands
- Swollen hands and feet
- Dry eyes (3)
Diagnosing Turner Syndrome In Babies:
Doctors can conduct the diagnosis of Turner syndrome at any stage of life. A pregnant mother can undergo prenatal chromosome analysis. It can diagnose any chromosomal defects in the unborn baby.
If the baby suffers from Turner syndrome after her birth, the doctor may conduct a physical examination initially. The swollen hands and feet, smaller height, and lower body weight indicates the possibility of Turner syndrome in babies.
Some of the other tests the doctor prescribes for turner syndrome baby include:
- Blood hormone levels (FSH and LH)
- MRI of the chest
- Pelvic test
- Ultrasound (reproductive organs)
- Karyotype (To check the chromosomal error) (4)
[ Read: Brittle Bone Disease In Infants ]
Treating Babies With Turner Syndrome:
Turner syndrome is a genetic error, and it is not possible to treat the problem completely. However, certain treatments and therapies help overcome the short stature, learning difficulties or sexual disabilities your little one will experience.
- Early Preventative Care: Take your baby girl for regular medical checkups. Monitoring the blood pressure levels helps the body function smoothly. In case of any problem, you need to treat it immediately.
- Growth Hormone Therapy: If your baby suffers from TS, the doctor may recommend the following hormonal therapy. The hormonal injection can prevent the problem of short stature.
- Treatment With Medical Specialists: A baby with Turner syndrome has a higher risk of developing otitis media or inner ear infections. If she develops such complications, take her to an ENT specialist immediately. (5)
Does your baby suffer from Turner Syndrome? Did your doctor suggest growth hormone therapy? Share your story with other mommies here!
- Sandifer’s Syndrome In Babies – Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatments
- Down Syndrome In Babies – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCID) In Infants – 4 Causes, 8 Symptoms & 8 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Encephalitis In Babies – 9 Causes & 14 Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017