Blood clots are mass of lumps formed upon change in blood from liquid to a solid state. Clotting is your body’s natural way of stopping further bleeding.
If you have blood clot in placenta during pregnancy, you might be suffering from some health problems. If you are obese, you are at a greater risk of developing clots.
Placenta plays a very important role by supplying oxygen and nutrition to the fetus developing inside you. Apart from this your placenta also carries waste from your baby to your body to be excreted out. What will happen if there is a blood clot that occurs in placenta during pregnancy? Let’s find out.
Causes Behind Blood Clots In Placenta During Pregnancy:
Any problems in the placenta can become a cause of concern for your baby. Even your life may be in danger in some cases. Here we shall look into the factors resulting in blood clot in placenta during pregnancy:
1. Blood clots restrict flow of oxygen and proper nutrients to your baby.
2. Blood clots in the placenta may also prevent flow of waste from your baby to you.
3. Development of small blood clots may disappear on their own and may not affect your fetus in any way.
4. Placental abruption may result in placental blood clots. This abruption may be complete separation or partial separation of your placenta from your uterus before your baby is born.
5. In case of a placental abruption, you may suffer from abdominal pain or vaginal bleeding.
6. If the abruption is small you may not experience any symptom.
7. In case of large abruption, the baby developing inside may die due to loss of blood.
8. Thrombophilias or clotting disorder can result in blood clots in pregnancy. This form of blood clot is generally inherited. Chances of miscarriage are very high in this case.
9. If you have been diagnosed with blood clotting disorder before, you need to take thinner blood like Heparin or Lovenox for your future pregnancies.
10. Diabetes and high blood pressure also result in blood clots in placenta. Either these conditions arise in pregnancy or are pre-existing.
11. If the size of your uterus is smaller than the standard size, it can be one of the causes behind blood clots in placenta. In this case diagnosis is possible only once you get pregnant. Depending on severity of restriction in growth, your baby may be born before the due date.
[ Read: Causes Of Retained Placenta ]
Treatment Procedures For Blood Clots In Placenta During Pregnancy:
Your healthcare provider shall probably opt for an ultrasound or a physical examination in case there is blood clot in your placenta. Here is what the doctors suggest:
- In case of placental abruption, your doctor may suggest a C-section
- Mothers in severe abruption suffer from huge blood loss and the babies face complications for oxygen deprivation or premature delivery.
- Whereas there is no immediate risk posed for the mother or baby when placental abruption is not very severe. Mothers are generally hospitalized and kept under observation in this case.
- Bleeding generally stops after some time and the baby gets delivered from 24 to 34 week.
- The baby may be prescribed steroids to help lung development and improve his or her chances of survival.
[ Read: Placenta Previa During Pregnancy ]
Monitoring your health is thus an important part of prenatal care. You need to make sure you follow healthy living practices and quit smoking completely while pregnant to avoid such complications.
Stay happy and put to rest all your concerns and stress. Leave it on your doctor to suggest the right course of treatment if you have blood clots in placenta.
Mothers, share with other readers, if you experienced any blood clot complications during pregnancy in the comment section below.
Reference : 1
- Listeriosis During Pregnancy – Diagnosis, Treatments & Prevention
- What Is Endometriosis & How Does It Effect Pregnancy?
- 5 Symptoms Of E-Coli Infection & 3 Simple Tips To Cure It During Pregnancy
- Lupus And Pregnancy – 7 Serious Risks And Complications
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015