Is my baby allergic to dogs?’ This might be the question lingering in your mind if your baby begins to sneeze, rubs his or her nose or eyes, soon after playing with your four legged friend at home. But does it mean you must not have dogs at home?
Babies love dogs and there are chances that some of them might get allergies while bonding with your pet. Though you cannot break the bond your baby has with your dog, you can make a note of few early symptoms associated with dog allergy to seek medical attention immediately.
Signs And Symptoms Of Dog Allergies In Babies:
Your baby might be allergic to dogs. This could be owing to an immune reaction in your baby’s body to few dogs related substances, such as its dander, hair, saliva or urine. 
Once your baby comes in contact with any one of these factors, he would experience one or more of the following symptoms:
1. Runny Nose:
If your baby is allergic to dog dander, then it would transit histamines in the bloodstream of your baby.
- This would cause the fluid to get accumulated in the nasal passages leading to mucus production.
- Excess mucus produced would drain from the nose of your baby in the form of a clear liquid.
- If your baby has a runny nose without fever, then it indicates that he is allergic to dog dander.
2. Stuffed Nose:
The inflammatory action triggered by histamine and too much mucus accumulation would lead to congestion in the nasal cavities.
- If your baby has stuffy nose symptom without any cold or flu conditions, then it can indicate an allergic reaction towards dogs.
- Sometimes, this symptom might surface, even if your baby has not touched your pet at home.
[ Read: Sinus Infection In Babies ]
When the histamines mix in the bloodstream of your baby, it can cause sneezing reflux.
- Sometimes, your baby would have sneezing associated with stuffy nose symptom.
- If your baby sneezes soon after playing with your dog, then it indicates that he is allergic to the pet.
- However, there is no point in removing the dog from your home as the dog dander causes the allergy and would lurk indoors for many months.
[ Read: Peanut Allergy In Infants ]
4. Wiping The Nose:
This symptom occurs when the mucous membranes of your baby get an itching sensation.
- This symptom of wiping the nose usually occurs before other symptoms associated with dog allergy in babies.
- If you spot your baby rubbing his nose in an upwards direction, then it might be a dog allergy.
[ Read: Nasal Congestion In Infants ]
5. Rubbing The Eyes:
When your baby bonds with the dog, your pet would lick his hands or face, causing the saliva to enter his eyes when he rubs his hands on his eyes.
- Your baby’s eyes would be irritated if the dog’s saliva enters his eyes.
- This will lead to constant eye rubbing.
[ Read: Eye Problems In Infants ]
6. Skin Rash:
The skin of your baby is soft and sensitive, which makes it allergic to dogs when playing with the pet.
- The baby might have reddish bumps on the skin.
- The rashes would be itchy in nature.
- Might have hives or raised bumps on the skin.
- These allergic symptoms can last for few minutes to a few days. If the symptoms are much severe in your baby, then seek immediate medical attention as it would require few tests to diagnose the issue.
[ Read: Skin Allergies In Infants ]
How To Prevent Dog Allergies In Infants?
If you have found that your baby is allergic towards dogs, you need not panic, as you can easily prevent your baby from developing an allergy.
- Give your pet a regular bath as it would eliminate the allergens from their body.
- Keep your dog away from your baby’s bed to lower his exposure to dog dander.
- Vacuum clean your home every day to maintain it free from dander.
- Minimize the amount of furnishing which can trap the pet dander like carpets, upholstery and drapes in your home.
- Keep your baby away from kit cleaning scene while you are brushing your dog’s fur or bathing him.
- Let your baby mingle freely with your dog as it will help lower the allergic reactions in his body. 
[ Read: Soy Allergy In Babies ]
These effective solutions would help your baby bond with his favorite doggy friend while you stay out of fears for allergy!
Did you have a similar experience? Please share your stories with us!
- 7 Effective Tips To Treat Sticky Eyes In Infants
- Nasal Congestion In Infants – 4 Causes, 5 Symptoms & 4 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 13 Serious Symptoms Of Soy Allergy In Your Baby
- 16 Unexpected Signs And Symptoms Of Egg Allergy In Babies
Latest posts by Dhivya (see all)
- 10 Must Know Internet Safety Tips For Kids And Teens - March 21, 2017
- How To Choose The Best Baby Formula For Your Little Ones? - December 26, 2014
- 4 Effective Tips To Deal With Your Whiny Child - November 12, 2014