Bananas are the first food that you give your baby while introducing her to solid foods. They are packed with vitamins and nutrients which makes it a nutritious food for your baby.
However, not all babies can consume bananas as it can cause an allergic reaction. Is your baby allergic to bananas as well? Then should rightly know the causes, symptoms and the ways to deal with the allergy.
What Causes Banana Allergy In Babies?
If you find your baby vomiting, having a rash on her face or reddish look in and around the mouth soon after you feed her a banana, then it means she is allergic to bananas. It might occur owing to various reasons.
1. Intolerance To Protein:
If your baby has a hypersensitive immune system, she might be allergic to bananas as her body would react in a different way. This is mainly because your baby’s immune system would have an intolerance to the protein found in banana known as chitinase.
2. Presence Of Vaso Active Amines:
Sometimes, Vaso active amines also trigger the allergic reaction. These are substances similar to histamines that occur in bananas naturally. When this substance enters your baby’s body, it would cause an allergy if your baby’s metabolizing system lacks in enzyme oxidizing ability.
[ Read : Egg Allergies In Babies ]
Signs That Indicate That Your Baby Is Allergic To Bananas:
If you are feeding bananas to your baby for the first time, make sure you keep an eye for the following symptoms or signs associated with an allergy. These signs can surface in your baby within few minutes to a few hours of eating the fruit.
1. Symptoms On The Skin:
Skin symptoms are a common sign of a banana allergy in babies. Look out for the following signs on the skin of your baby soon after you feed her mashed bananas.
- Reddish bumps
- Itching sensation
- Inflammation of the tongue
- Face swelling
- Mouth inflammation
2. Gastrointestinal Tract Issues:
Few symptoms are associated with the gastrointestinal tract of your baby. Hence, your baby might experience one or more symptoms within few hours of eating bananas.
- Stomach pain
- Loose bowels
[ Read : Formula Allergy In Infants ]
3. Respiratory Tract Symptoms:
If your baby is allergic to bananas, she might experience a few issues related to breathing.
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
- Stuffy nose
- Runny nose
If you notice any one or two of the above said baby banana allergy symptoms while feeding a banana, stop the feeding immediately and seek assistance of your doctor at once.
Follow The Wait Rule:
As soon as you introduce a new food like banana to your baby, wait for 3 days to check whether your baby is exhibiting any signs of an allergy. This would help you understand whether this food is safe for your baby or not.
In addition, it would be useful to inform your doctor to help him diagnose the allergic reaction easily with fewer tests.
[ Read : Peanut Allergy In Babies ]
Dealing With Banana Allergy In Babies:
As soon as your baby is diagnosed with a banana allergy, make sure that you take extra care about what food you feed your baby every time.
- If your baby is facing slight allergic reactions to bananas, your doctor would advise you to feed your baby with small pieces of banana.
- You can offer a cooked banana in small portions to your baby, as it is much safer than the raw ones.
- You can give foods like steamed carrots, as it is a safe first food for babies instead of banana.
Make sure that the food items you purchase in the grocery store does not contain traces of banana, if your baby has had a severe reaction like swelling in the face, tongue or suffered from cardiovascular issue, which is a serious one.
[ Read : Soy Allergy In Babies ]
We hope that the information on banana allergy in babies was useful for you. Did your child have an allergy towards banana as a baby and outgrow it successfully? Do share your success stories with us.
- 16 Unexpected Signs And Symptoms Of Egg Allergy In Babies
- Food Allergy In Children – Causes, Symptoms And Treatments
- 5 Types Of Soy Allergy In Children You Should Be Aware Of
- 6 Effective Measures To Tackle Food Allergies In Babies
Latest posts by Dhivya (see all)
- 10 Must Know Internet Safety Tips For Kids And Teens - March 21, 2017
- How To Choose The Best Baby Formula For Your Little Ones? - December 26, 2014
- 4 Effective Tips To Deal With Your Whiny Child - November 12, 2014