Did you always wish to have a pregnancy which is safe and devoid of complications? You can definitely experience one, if you ensure complete a healthy way of moving through your pregnancy months.
Make it your priority to remember that any form of diseases transmitted to your newborn at birth, an at times prove to be fatal.
One such disease or infection is genital herpes. Although it is a very rare scenario, but if your baby gets infected by this disease, it may lead to a lot of problems. So it is always advised to remain careful and cautious.
What Is Genital Herpes?
Genital Herpes is a sexually transmitted disease.
- It is caused by infection with the herpes simplex virus. Also called as HSV.
- There are two types of this virus- HSV1 and HSV2.
- HSV1 is associated with severe abrasions around the mouth which are also known as cold sores.
- HSV2 is concerned with blistering lesions or cuts in genital areas.
- After its initial outbreak, the virus can affect the nervous system by residing in the nerve tissue.
- There are chances of re-occurrence of this virus anytime throughout the lifetime of an individual.
[ Read: Infection During Pregnancy ]
What Are Its Symptoms?
If you are suffering from genital herpes, you may suffer all or few of the below mentioned symptoms:
- Symptoms of flu and fever
- Itching, burning and discomfort in genital areas
- Pressure in the abdomen
- Vaginal discharge
- Swollen lymph joints
After suffering from these initial symptoms, you may notice the appearance of lesions in your genital areas which can be painful. Many people may not suffer the initial symptoms and directly witness the lesions.
These symptoms will subside within few weeks after medication, but the virus will be present in your nerve cells throughout your life. However, it is seen that eruption of these virus reduces over a period of time.
[ Read: Syphilis During Pregnancy ]
Tips To Remember For Herpes During Pregnancy:
It is essential to remain careful if you catch the herpes virus during pregnancy.
1. Contracting Herpes Before Pregnancy:
If you had genital herpes before you become pregnant, there are less chances of your transmitting this virus to your baby.
- Extra care is to be taken.
- Doctors should examine very carefully if they find any symptoms of herpes at the time of giving birth.
- In such a scenario, they might deliver the baby through a C-section (caesarean operation).
- If the doctor finds you have a tendency to contract herpes during pregnancy, he can provide you with medication which can prevent its occurrence.
2. Contracting Herpes During Pregnancy:
When you develop the symptoms of herpes during the third trimester, there are high chances of your transmitting the virus to your baby.
- Your body may not have produced enough antibodies to develop immunity towards it.
- In such cases normal delivery is not possible.
- If you realize the symptoms of this virus during pregnancy, make sure to inform your doctor immediately.
[ Read: Torch Infection In Pregnancy ]
How To Avoid Contracting Herpes In Pregnancy?
You should take all precautionary steps to prevent herpes infection during pregnancy.
- As it is a sexually transmitted disease you should always check whether your partner is free from herpes. If possible avoid sexual intercourse during third trimester of pregnancy.
- Some doctors proactively suggest each and every woman to be tested for herpes before conceiving, so as to avoid last minute complications.
- Lastly, if you are already taking some therapy for herpes before pregnancy, then please inform your doctor regarding it. As your doctor may suggest you to continue it after delivery and not during the nine months.
[ Read: Trichomoniasis During Pregnancy ]
We hope this information will help you to keep you and your baby safe and healthy. Keep a lookout for any symptoms and make sure you immediately speak to your doctor in case of any concern.
Do share with us if you have other preventive options for herpes.
- 7 Serious Causes Of Bladder Infections During Pregnancy
- 8 Infections You Should Be Aware Of During Pregnancy
- Torch Infection During Pregnancy – 2 Causes, 5 Symptoms & 5 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Trichomoniasis During Pregnancy – Everthing You Need To Know
- How To Detect & Treat Syphilis During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Palak Shah (see all)
- Is It Safe To Eat Rambutan During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Gonorrhea During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - January 2, 2015
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding? - December 31, 2014