That harsh whistling sound, indicative of wheezing, makes it difficult for some babies to breathe and causes a high-pitched sound while exhaling. Here we have compiled an exhaustive article for you to know more about this respiratory-related health issue.
Types of Wheezing:
If your child has wheezing symptom and that causes you to panic, relax; just because your baby wheezes does not mean she is suffering from any serious condition. There are two types of baby wheezing, which include:
- Transient Wheezing: Occurs when a child is suffering from any inflammatory disorder and discontinues once the child gets better.
- Persistent Wheezing: Continues for a long time when a child has allergic conditions or genetic factors.
Causes of Wheezing:
Firstly, it is very important to diagnose the exact cause of wheezing by undergoing few essential tests. Here are some probably causes:
- Bronchiolitis: Bronchiolitis is a chest infection, blocking the flow of oxygen, causing wheezing in children. It is of two types viral and bronchiolitis obliternas, among which viral is the most common in babies. Mild bronchiolitis gets cleared on its own, whereas severe conditions may require hospitalization . Intake of fluids and a moist air humidifier will be beneficial of your child.
- Anatomic Factors: Babies are prone to wheezing due to anatomic factors related to lung and chest wall, such as a weak cartilage in the windpipe or larynx. After a proper test the exact anatomic factor can be identified and as per it your doctor can prescribe medication.
- Allergy: In most cases, allergies are associated with wheezing, such as milk allergy which is quite common in babies. A baby who cries very often and finds difficulty in breathing is for sure suffering from persistent wheezing. It is best to seek medical advice as it can affect your baby’s cognitive development.
Apart from above reasons, genetic factors, pneumonia, nasal obstruction and asthma also cause baby coughing and wheezing.
Treatment for Wheezing:
If wheezing is associated with Brochiolitis, asthma or genetic factors, immediate medical supervision is advised. Your doctor will prescribe antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs and nasal sprays, which can bring instant relief to your baby.
Another option is to go for natural treatments, done at home in mild cases of wheezing. Listed below are some baby wheezing remedies :
- Steam Inhalation work as wonder for wheezing. Take your baby to a steam bathroom or you can modify your ordinary bathroom by keeping a large tumbler of hot water and shut the door(and if windows) tight. Sit beside him for couple of minutes. The heat from the hot water will help to subdue your child’s wheeze that causes obstruction in airways and helps to calm his chest.
- Breast-Feeding your child can avoid wheezing. New studies show, that mothers who breastfed their child for few months were at higher risk of developing wheezing than those who breastfed for a longer time.
[ Read: Breastfeeding And Working ]
- Fluids helps to keep your baby hydrated and get rid of germs and infection that causes wheezing. Fluids such as water, cow’s milk, breast milk, helps to thin mucus secretion thereby helping to make your child breathe without any difficulty. Give your child increased fluids, including filtered warm water.
- Inhalers are a god-send if your baby is regularly wheezing. Inhalers helps to soothe the muscles surrounding your child’s obstructed air passages. These relievers are much better than antibiotics as they are absolutely safe and free from any kind of side effect. Quick reliever inhaler makes your baby feel more comfortable and helps him breathe more easily.
We hope that the above treatment suggestions will help you; but if still your baby is wheezing significantly, it is best to contact your doctor. Wish you good luck!
- Baby Health – Everything You Need To Know
- 3 Useful Instructions To Do CPR On A Baby
- 9 Essential Steps To Follow When Your Baby Is Choking
- How To Burp A Baby?
Latest posts by Saara Fatema Doctor (see all)
- 5 Simple Ways To Talk To Your Kids About Drugs - July 14, 2014
- 10 Tips To Help Your Child Effectively Manage Stress - July 9, 2014
- Is It Safe To Drink Green Tea During Pregnancy? - July 4, 2014