Have you entered the second month of pregnancy? Are you eating right? Eating healthy food ensures that your baby gets all the essential nutrients for proper growth and development. A healthy diet also helps you stay fit and active during this crucial phase.
And for that, it is important to know what you should and should not eat at this time to keep your baby and yourself safe. Keep reading this MomJunction post about the second-month pregnancy diet to know more.
Foods To Include In The Second Month Of Pregnancy
Here are the essential foods that you must include in your diet during the second month of pregnancy:
1. Calcium is an important nutrient for developing strong bones, teeth, and muscles in the fetus. It is also essential for the proper functioning of the fetal heart and nerves. Foods to include:
2. Folic acid is essential to prevent neural tube defects in the baby and also helps in blood formation. Foods include (1):
- Green leafy vegetables
- Orange juice
- Fortified bread
3. Iron is essential for improving the hemoglobin levels to meet the blood required by the placenta and the fetus. Foods include:
- Leafy green vegetables
- Lean meat
- Dried fruits
4. Fiber-rich foods help alleviate constipation and promote smooth bowel movement during pregnancy. Foods include:
- Whole grain bread
5. Iodine is necessary for the fetal brain and nerve development. Foods include:
- Fortified bread and cereal
- Iodized salt
6. Protein is essential for fetal tissue development and also helps in repairing the breast and uterine muscles. The foods include:
- Lean meat
[ Read: First Month Of Pregnancy ]
- Milk and milk products
8. Vitamin D is essential for the skeletal development of the fetus. Foods include:
- Vitamin D fortified milk
9. Vitamin C is essential for the teeth and bone development in the baby and is present in fruits and vegetables. Include foods like:
- Yellow and red color bell peppers
- Brussels sprouts
Recommended daily intake of nutrients during pregnancy
|Nutrients||RDA (Recommended daily allowance)|
|Calcium||1300mg (age 14-18 years)|
1000mg (age 19-50 years)
|Vitamin C||80mg (age 14-18 years)|
85mg (age 19-50 years)
|Vitamin D||600 IU|
|Iodine||150µg (through iodine supplements that are taken in the form of potassium iodide) (6)|
While having healthy food, you should also abstain from eating certain foods that could harm you and your baby.
Foods To Avoid In The Second Month Of Pregnancy
Here are some foods that you must avoid during the second month:
- Avoid undercooked meat and poultry.
- Do not eat raw eggs as they may contain salmonella.
- Avoid soft cheeses like brie, ricotta, Camembert, blue cheese, and feta (7).
- Raw bean sprouts, pre-prepared pâté, sandwich meats, and salads must be avoided as they may contain listeria bacteria.
- Avoid unpasteurized juice, cider, and milk as they may contain E.coli or listeria bacteria (1).
- Avoid swordfish, shark, tilefish, and king mackerel as they contain a high level of mercury. Also avoid fish like freshwater salmon, bass, bluefish, trout, pike, and walleye that contain high levels of PCB
- (polychlorinated biphenyls) (8).
- Avoid luncheon meat and cold hotdogs as they may contain listeria.
- Do not eat raw fish like sushi and sashimi.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may affect fetal growth.
- Avoid too much caffeine as it can lead to miscarriage (9).
- Avoid fruits like pineapple and raw papaya, which are known to induce contractions (10).
- Limit the intake of foods like pastries, cakes, pies, processed meats, pizza, commercial burgers, and fried foods that contain high saturated fats.
- Limit the intake of sweets, energy drinks, and carbonated drinks that contain added sugar.
- Limit the consumption of caffeine to not more than 200-300m or 2-3 cups of coffee a day (11), as it can cause miscarriage.
Read on for some more useful tips to follow in the second month of pregnancy.
Second-Month Pregnancy Diet Tips
Here are some diet tips to follow during the second month of pregnancy:
- Do not skip a meal or starve yourself.
- Avoid oily and spicy food as it can aggravate heartburn.
- Take a lot of fluids.
- If you have morning sickness, then munch on crackers.
- Abstain from street food.
- Make sure to clean the fruits and vegetable properly before consuming them.
A healthy pregnancy starts with a healthy diet. Pregnancy is perhaps when you have a lot of food cravings, but it is also the time to show caution before consuming anything. Replace junk food with healthy alternatives. As far as possible, stick to eating homemade foods to keep illnesses away.
What did you eat in your second month? Tell us about it in the comment section below.
2. H. Van Sande, et al.; Vitamin B12 In Pregnancy: Maternal And Fetal/Neonatal Effects—A Review; Scientific Research Publishing Inc (2006-2015)
3. Vitamin B12; NIH
4. Nutrition During Pregnancy; ACOG
5. Michelle A. Kominiarek, et al.; Nutrition Recommendations In Pregnancy And Lactation; NCBI (2016)
6. Angela M. Leung, Elizabeth N. Pearce, et al.; AAP Recommendations On Iodine Nutrition During Pregnancy and Lactation; American Academy of Pediatrics (2019)
7. Healthy eating during your pregnancy; National Health and Medical Research Council, Australia
8. Pregnancy: Nutrition; Cleveland Clinic (2019)
9. Caffeine; OTIS
10. Ghosh Debosree and Ghosh Suvendu; Forbidden Foods for Healthy Pregnancy; IJSRR (2018)
11. Pregnancy Precautions: FAQs; The Nemours Foundation (1995-2015)
- 3rd Month Pregnancy Diet
- Benefits Of Dates During Pregnancy
- 4th Month Pregnancy Diet
- 5th Month Pregnancy Diet
Latest posts by shreeja pillai (see all)
- 15 Best nursing pads to buy in 2019 - August 29, 2019
- 9 Best Nursing Pajamas To Buy in 2019 - August 28, 2019
- 200 Most Common Surnames Or Last Names In Germany - August 26, 2019
- 15 Best Drum Sets For Kids To Buy In 2019 - August 20, 2019
- 17 Best Hair Dryers For Girls To Buy In 2019 - August 7, 2019
- 15 Best Baby Winter Hats To Buy In 2019 - August 6, 2019
- 15 Best Guitars To Buy For Kids In 2019 - August 1, 2019
- 15 Best Water Tables To Buy For Kids In 2019 - August 1, 2019
- 11 Simple Tips To Improve Your Child's Handwriting - July 31, 2019
- 21 Best Sports Shoes To Buy For Kids In 2019 - July 26, 2019