Turning 50 is certainly one of the biggest milestones in life. It’s a celebration of one’s accomplishments. We generally raise a toast and wish for the best health of the person celebrating it. In short, it’s not limited to just cake and booze. If someone in your family is hitting the big five-oh, the gala has to be unique and grand.
A few creative ideas and a little bit of effort would help you plan a fun-filled 50th birthday party. To help you organize the 50th birthday smoothly, we have collated a list of fantastic party ideas. From party themes to decorations, food, invitations, and party favors, you’ll find everything here.
50th Birthday Party Planning Ideas
The list of ideas can make your party planning easy and convenient. Scroll through the options, and use the ideas that you think would work best for the upcoming party.
Surprise Party Themes
Deciding a theme for a big bash could be a confusing task. We have picked a few ideas to help you plan the party smoothly.
- Decade party: Pick a decade that has been special for the person whose birthday you are going to celebrate. If it is the 70s, then a hippie theme would be a good idea. Or if they choose the 80s, then nothing could beat the disco theme.
- Broadway musical: A Broadway-inspired theme should be all about bright lights, an assortment of wines, singing, and dancing. Set a stage, and play upbeat music in the background to let everyone enjoy the classic-themed party.
- Golden milestone: A golden birthday theme could be a dazzling idea to celebrate the 50th birthday as 50 is popularly referred to as the golden mark or golden year. You can decorate the room with golden balloons, confetti, chairs, and LED lights.
- Backyard barbeque: For a simple yet elegant party, a barbeque would be an excellent idea. All you would require is a grill, a few chairs, wholesome ingredients, and some popular drinks.
- Black and white: It is a timeless theme that can never go out of fashion. You can ask the guests to wear black or white outfits. Have a simple black and white decor, and play the classic era’s music.
- Countryside refreshment: A picturesque natural location, local wine, local organic food, and rustic decoration would make a sophisticated theme for a 50th birthday party celebration.
50th Birthday Party Ideas For Men
Here are a few interesting ideas that you could use for the birthday boy’s party. They can be used for the birthday girl, too, if she has a similar taste.
- Cheers to beers: If the birthday boy is a beer lover, then a beer-themed party would be an appropriate idea. You can play beeramid and have beer brewing kits as a special addition to the celebration.
- Casino: Set up tables to enjoy blackjack and poker games and have unlimited fun with your buddies. Finger foods and lights can create a perfect ambiance for the casino-themed birthday celebration.
- Cowboy theme: A western-themed party, with everyone dressed up as cowboys and cowgirls would be a one-of-a-kind theme to celebrate your loved one’s 50th birthday.
- Mustache: It could be a funky theme if it’s going to be an ‘all men’ kind of party celebration. You can find plenty of mustache and beard props to add to the excitement.
- Sports bash: If the birthday boy is a sports lover, his favorite game can be the 50th birthday bash theme. Guests can wear jerseys and even play a game before feasting on the cake and other savory items.
- Racing car: Racing and classic car fans would love to be the attraction of the party that is all about cars, races, and speed. You can design the birthday cake in the shape of a car, have a racing track as the party decor, and find car posters as banners.
- Traveler’s ride: If it is a traveler’s 50th birthday, nothing can beat the traveler-inspired idea for the party. You may use world maps as decoration or even use the person’s travel pictures and make a collage to display at the venue.
50th Birthday Party Ideas For Women
Are you planning to have a ladies’ party? Let us help you out with some fascinating party ideas.
- Arabian Nights: A luxurious Moroccan theme with colorful drapes, succulent items on the menu, cushions, and dim lights could give a rich feel to the 50th birthday celebration for a woman who is an epitome of grace and has impeccable taste.
- Hollywood theme: Celebrity costumes, starry decoration, and movie posters all around could make for an interesting party theme to surprise a movie buff.
- 50-year journey: Take printouts and collect videos of the birthday woman’s life from her childhood days to teenage years, and then her adult life. Decorate the place with those pictures and play the videos to let her relive those beautiful moments of her 50 years.
- Flowery affair: If the woman loves flowers, you may have her favorite flowers in every party element. You could use them for decoration, make special food items, and enjoy an exquisite-style 50th birthday.
- Karaoke women’s night: If you are planning an ‘all-women night,’ then a karaoke theme would be an ideal choice. All the ladies at the party can sing together, dance, and munch on delicious food.
- Costume party: A dress-up party would always be happening for a woman. Let there be no restrictions on costume and makeup for the guests to have super fun.
- Family gathering: For a simple and memorable 50th birthday party, a nice family event to enjoy a meal together and express your feelings would be a lovely idea.
- Sweet 50th: If there can be sweet 16, why not sweet 50th? A colorful theme with balloons, props, confetti, and customized posters in the background can be a simple yet graceful idea to celebrate the glorious 50th birthday.
Ideas for 50th Birthday Party Decorations
A party looks bland without proper decoration. Based on the theme you choose, you may pick a few ideas from here to add more color to the venue.
- Balloon decoration: Balloons are an easy and versatile pick for any party decoration. They are available in different colors and add a personalized touch to the decor.
- Props or accessories: You can decorate your party venue in creative and quirky ways using different kinds of props, including photo booth accessories, sashes, sunglasses, confetti, hats, and a lot more.
- Candles and soft lights: If you have planned a simple backyard evening party or a night party, you may use dim lights, LEDs, and candles to create an intimate party vibe.
- Memory wall: Select a big wall at the venue and make it a memory wall by decorating it with pictures of the person whose 50th birthday you are celebrating. You can ask all the guests to leave messages on the wall to make it even more special.
- Flowers or banners: These are simple-to-use props for all kinds of 50th birthday party themes. They are cost-effective, readily available, and merge well with the existing decorations.
- Letters: You can find letters available in the form of balloons, ribbons, and cut-outs. These can be used to write the name on the wall or create a welcome arc at the venue.
- DIY decor: If you want to save money and still want to have loads of fun, you can use paper, cardboard, and other crafty materials to make colorful and unique decorations.
50th Birthday Gift Ideas
Choosing the right gift for someone turning 50 could be puzzling. We bring you some practical and thoughtful gifting ideas here.
- Fitness watch: Taking care of the health of someone turning 50 should be your priority. A smartwatch that tracks daily fitness, including calories burned, heart rate, daily steps, and sleep patterns could be an ideal gift.
- Spa gift set: It could be the right choice for a woman on her 50th birthday. Pamper her and help her relax in the comforts of her home.
- Wine glass set: Instead of making the recipient feel old, you can express how perfectly they are aging by gifting them a vintage wine glass set.
- Travel map: If your birthday friend loves traveling, what could be better than a travel destination map on which they can mark the places they visited and the ones on their bucket list?
- Pizza oven: After turning 50, one should enjoy life to the fullest. An electric pizza oven would be a unique choice if your friend is a foodie or likes cooking.
- Birthstones: In case you want to give a timeless gift, then a birthstone could be a good option to commemorate the 50th birthday celebration.
- Gardening kit: It is a thoughtful idea to present a gardening kit to someone who wants to get closer to nature and spend peaceful afternoons.
50th Birthday Food and Drink Ideas
The food on the menu of the birthday party should go by the theme. We have some popular ideas for food and drinks that you could include.
- Cocktails: Have a mixture of cocktails on the table with alcoholic and non-alcoholic choices for everyone to enjoy the party.
- Special cake: No birthday party is complete without a cake. Get a unique personalized cake that can surprise the guest of honor and the guests.
- Decade favorites: If the party theme is based on a particular decade, you can pick the most famous recipes of those times and help them to relive the wonderful days.
- Fusion fiesta: A fusion of food and drinks from different cuisines can be a unique idea to have as the 50th birthday party menu. You can add sweets, drinks, meat, and anything that is convenient to arrange.
- Finger foods: Include finger foods such as mini burgers, cupcakes, rolls, and meatballs or bites as these are easy to make in large quantities and also quick to munch. You do not need to arrange dining tables, saving you time and effort.
- Go healthy: It could be an inspiring idea to set the table with only healthy items, without fried, spicy, and too-sugary stuff.
- Barbeque: If you plan an evening party or a backyard party, then a barbeque menu would be a refreshing idea.
Ideas for 50th Birthday Party Invitations
A special 50th birthday party calls for creative birthday invitations. Check out some ideas we have in store for you.
- DIY cards: If the guest list is not that big, you can get crafty and try making handmade invitation cards. You would require paper, cardboard, and such art items.
- Balloon invites: You can either get balloons customized or use a marker to write the 50th birthday party’s details and send them to a handful of guests.
- Old cassettes or records: Instead of expensive cards, you can use old cassettes and paint on them to make creative birthday party invitations.
- Retro invites: To make the invitations fabulous, retro-style birthday party invitations would be an interesting choice. You can use old posters and turn them into cards.
- Cartoon portrait: If you are looking for a funny birthday invitation, then a cartoon portrait of your birthday mate on the card could bring a smile on everyone’s face.
- Sweet invitation: You can send small invites with a sweet cupcake, chocolate, and anything small and dry.
- Voice notes: When there’s not much time to make and send invitations, a voice note recording could be the new-age idea. All you have to do is record a voice note with the party’s details and send it to the guests’ phones.
Ideas for 50th Birthday Party Favors
To make the party a lovely memory for everyone, you can bring some cute and affordable gifts as birthday party favors.
- Cookie box: Homemade cookies or special cookies wrapped in an attractive package would be a simple and sweet birthday favor.
- 5 Scented candles: A customized scented candle with 50 mentioned on it could be a memorable birthday favor.
- Flowers: If you are decorating the party venue with flowers or using flowers as a theme, then a bouquet could be a lovely choice for a 59th wedding birthday party favor.
- Candle or light holder: A small antique candle holder can be an exclusive idea and memorable favor for family members and friends.
- Keychain: Customized keychains based on the party theme can be made and given as birthday party favors. Mentioning ‘50’ on them would also serve the purpose.
- Photo frame: Magnetic photo frames are an elegant and practical option as party favors.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the 50th birthday significance?
The 50th birthday marks an essential milestone in a person’s life of having completed 50 golden years of their lives. This marks the beginning of the next chapter of life as one reflects on all the hard work, love, and fun moments that made their 50 years glorious.
2. What are the benefits of turning 50?
There can be countless benefits to turning 50. A few of them are:
- They are 50 years wiser with the experiences and lessons learned
- They can start planning their retirement
- They can sign up for activities and plan trips to tick off their bucket list
- They have a vast network of caring and supportive people built over the years
The 50th birthday party of your loved one is a special event. So before throwing the party, take a cue from the ideas listed above, such as surprise themes and decorations and gender-specific ideas. You may also combine a few concepts to get more creative. You should also prepare appropriate invitation cards, food and beverages, and a perfect gift for them. Remember, the goal is to have a great time, so do whatever you think would work best, and don’t forget to capture the beautiful moments to cherish in the future.
Infographic: 50th Birthday Party Ideas
Celebrating the golden jubilee is a milestone that brings together years of experiences and memories. It also gives them a chance to reflect on all those bitter-sweet moments. We are here to help you make the birthday party memorable with the following infographic. Check it out and choose the idea that resonates with them the most.
- Cheers to beers, Sports bash, Arabian nights, Flowery affair are a few of the many birthday party ideas based on the gender of the person.
- Black and white, Broadway musical, countryside refreshment are some interesting themes for people turning 50.
- If you are invited to one such birthday party, you can gift them a fitness watch, gardening kit, travel map, and much more.