Worried about your toddler catching cold? Well don’t be, toddlers are highly sensitive and have a maturing immune system. This makes them prone to catch cold more easily than adults. When your child has a cold, it can lead to restlessness and weakness. Let’s check out some home remedies for curing cold in your toddler.
Common Problems Associated With Cold:
In addition to the regular sneezing and runny nose, your toddler may face some other problems that often accompany cold. These are:
- Scratchy throat
- Lack of taste and appetite
- Improper sleep
Home Remedies For Cold In Toddlers:
As a parent, it is understandable that you may want to rush to the doctor when you see your toddler with cold. However, instead of making your toddler try out medicines that may or may not work, you can try some home remedies. These have been known to be effective in curing cold and cough in toddlers and will not cause any side effects.
1. Salt Gargle:
Mix salt in warm water and teach your toddler to gargle with it. He or she might refrain from doing this at first, but believe it is one of the best methods to get rid of cold.
2. Ajwain Water:
Boil some water with carom seeds (ajwain) and make your child sip the water in small quantities.
3. Mustard Oil And Garlic Massage:
Heat mustard oil with a few garlic cloves and rub it gently on the chest, back, throat and feet of your toddler. It will keep her warm and help fight cold.
4. Almond And Milk:
Mix almond paste with warm milk and make you toddler lick the mixture 3-4 times a day. This will help ease the cold.
[ Read: Almond Oil For Baby ]
5. Tulsi And Milk:
Instead of giving plain milk, add some basil (tulsi) leaves while boiling milk. Basil has many healing properties and will enhance immunity.
Garlic juice is very effective for curing cold. However, since your toddler may not take this strong concoction as it is, you may have to dilute it or mix with a little honey.
If your toddler is suffering from a cold that is accompanied by coughing, giving some honey can help. You can also mix honey with a little bit of ginger juice or black pepper powder. Mixing liquorice (mulethi) powder with honey is also beneficial.
Some Effective Ways To Cure Cold In Your Toddler:
Apart from the home remedies, you can always try the below mentioned ones. All these are effective and helps in curing, as well as preventing cold in your darling if followed beforehand.
1. Give Lots Of Fluids:
Having cold means that your toddler loses more water in the form of running nose and sweat. You can give liquid in these forms:
- Warm milk is very effective during colds. You can put a pinch of turmeric in it to make it more effective.
- Juices in pure or diluted form. Make sure that these are not cold. Try juices of fruits having Vitamin C as it helps to cure cold. Fresh juice is always preferred.
- Oral electrolyte solutions which are specially formulated for kids.
- Lots of water throughout the day.
[ Read: Toddler Ear Infection ]
2. Steam Inhalation:
This will work well to loosen congestion and get the mucus out easily. Please make sure you are there with your darling while he or she is doing this.
- Heat water and pour it in a vaporizer.
- Help your toddler to breathe in the steam, taking a deep breath.
- Preferably the steam should be taken from one nostril at a time.
- Cover the head of your toddler with a towel to prevent the steam from escaping.
- Add some salt or balm with the water if convenient.
3. Head Up:
Elevate the level of your toddler’s head while resting, as this will ease breathing.
- Use pillows for elevation.
- Raising the overall level of the mattress will create a gradual elevation and be more comfortable.
- Make sure not to crowd the bed with pillows as it can suffocate your toddler.
4. Blow The Nose:
Teach your toddler how to blow her nose properly.
- You can ask your toddler to observe and copy you.
- Make sure that a clean cloth or hanky is being used.
- Have your toddler wash her hands after blowing her nose to avoid further infection.
- Ensure that she is not blowing her nose forcefully as it can damage the nasal nerves.
While your toddler is suffering from cold, avoid taking her to the park or playground, as dust and pollen will aggravate cold. Also, as her immunity will be low at such times, she may easily catch other infections from people around her.
Try these simple home remedies for cold in toddlers and help them get rid of common cold and cough. However, if symptoms of cold in toddler persist, then it is best to consult a doctor.
We would like to know what you do to cure cold in your toddler.
- Ear Infections In Toddlers – 7 Causes,8 Symptoms & 4 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- What Is Sleep Apnea In Toddlers And How To Tackle It?
- What Causes Nightmares & Night Terrors In Toddlers And How To Cure Them?
- Top 10 Ways To Make Your Toddler Sleep Well