How Many Months Is Seven Weeks Pregnancy?
The seventh week of pregnancy means that you are in the second month and the first trimester.
By now your pregnancy is confirmed, and you are gearing up for the coming months. MomJunction tells you what happens to your baby and you in this week, the care you should take, and more. Read on.
How Big Is Your Baby At Seven Weeks?
The baby is about the size of a blueberry at this week. Your baby measures 0.15 to 0.3 inches in length (1). Though very tiny, your baby has already begun developing their body parts.
Baby Development In The 7th Week
The embryo is developing to attain a human-like structure. Here are the developments happening in your baby during this week.
|Body parts||Development stage|
|Face (2)||Distinct with features like mouth, eyes, ears, and nostrils|
|Skin||Thin and translucent|
|Eyelids||Developing and remain closed|
|Mouth||Tongue and tooth buds are distinct|
|Limbs (4)||The leg and arm buds are distinct and developing, and look like a paddle. The fingers and toes will remain webbed|
|Nervous system (5)||The neural tube develops and starts forming the brain and spinal cord|
|Kidney (6)||Nephrons and basic filtration units begin to form|
|Liver||Produces red blood cells until the bone marrow is in place|
|Intestine (7)||Developing and starts the digestion process|
|Pancreas||Starts producing insulin that helps in digestion|
|Umbilical cord||Blood vessels carry oxygen and nutrients to the baby|
When the embryo is gradually turning into the fetus and eventually a baby, your body is bound to show out some symptoms as a result of the happenings within. So, what do you have to deal with in the seventh week?
Tips for mom-to-be
Here are a few tips you can follow for a healthy pregnancy:
- Eat small meals at regular intervals.
- Nibble crackers before getting up from the bed in the morning. This will help ease the discomfort of morning sickness to some extent.
- Drink a lot of water and keep yourself hydrated.
- Follow a healthy diet of lean meat, cereals, dairy products, fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid consumption of caffeine and alcohol.
- Stay connected with family and friends for emotional support.
- Take enough rest.
- In the case of nausea, drink lemonade, eat watermelon or sniff a lemon.
- Chew ginger to get relief from nausea.
- Do not skip meals or lie down immediately after having meals.
- Avoid uncooked, spicy, deep-fried, and fatty foods.
- Take the vitamin supplements every day.
- Do not take medicines without your doctor’s permission.
Tips for dad-to-be
Here are some tips for the soon-to-be dad, who is eager to help his partner:
- Be with her during the prenatal visits.
- Lend a helping hand in the daily household chores.
- Accompany her during the walks or exercises.
- Plan a day out and make her feel happy.
- Start finding the names for your child.
- Discuss your plans for welcoming the newborn.
- Go shopping for maternity wear.
- Capture her pregnancy developments in videos and pictures.
Pregnancy Symptoms In The Seventh Week
Here are the symptoms that remind you about your pregnancy in this week:
- Morning sickness will continue to be there for a few more weeks.
- Weight loss because you might not want to eat much due to morning sickness; also vomiting will not allow you to gain much weight.
- Acne due to the changes in hormonal levels.
- Swollen and tender breasts due to hormones and increased blood flow to them.
- Frequent urination as blood flow increases towards the pelvic area.
- Fatigue and dizziness because your body is working extra; a drop in blood sugar level can also make you feel dizzy.
- Excessive saliva due to morning sickness and heartburn.
- Food cravings and food aversion.
- Cramping, especially during the night time.
- Spotting could happen after sexual intercourse or pelvic exam. However, bleeding during pregnancy accompanied by abdominal pain is not good.
- Nasal congestion as the hormonal changes soften the nasal membranes. Also, the increased blood supply makes the mucus membranes swell causing extra secretion of the mucus.
- Headaches triggered by morning sickness, fatigue, and emotional or physical stress.
- Bleeding gums due to hormonal changes and increased blood volume.
It is not necessary for you to have all these symptoms. Some women might not have any signs, which is normal. Still, if you have any concerns, get in touch with your doctor.
Twin pregnancy at seventh week
In a twin pregnancy, the symptoms are same as that of singleton pregnancy but the intensity might be more. The vomiting sensation is heightened, urge to pass urine increases, and the hormonal level is spiked in a twin pregnancy. Also, the pregnancy symptoms will start earlier than in a singleton pregnancy.
[ Read: 8th Week Pregnancy ]
Changes In Your Body During The 7th Week Of Pregnancy
You will undergo both physical and emotional changes. Here are a few you can expect in this week:
- The breast size increases. The areola gets larger and darker and shows off some spots, which are the sweat glands.
- You will begin to have the pregnancy glow. The estrogen hormone can bring about brightness to your face, make your hair thicker, and skin softer.
- Blue veins are visible near the breasts and the pelvic area due to the increased blood flow in these regions.
- Mood swings due to the hormonal fluctuations.
- Strange dreams due to anticipation and fear of pregnancy.
The most prominent change in pregnancy is your swelling belly. Let’s see if it shows already.
How Does Seven Weeks Pregnant Belly Look Like?
There is no visible change in the belly size during this week because the baby is still tiny.
However, in the second pregnancy, some women start showing the baby bump early because the abdominal muscles get stretched and weaker during the first pregnancy. Also, the uterus doesn’t shrink back to its original position.
If haven’t seen an OB/ GYN yet, you may do it this week but do some homework before making an appointment.
[ Read: Unborn Baby’s Development ]
How To Prepare For The First Appointment?
This is what you can do:
- Take all the medical records, including those related to the medications and supplements you are on. It will help the doctor to evaluate the risks of taking those medicines during pregnancy.
- If you are pregnant for the second time and had any complications in your first, then share your concerns with the doctor.
- Make a note of the LMP (last menstrual period) to help the doctor calculate your due date. If you forget or could not track your LMP due to irregular periods, then the doctor will go for an early scan to determine the age of your pregnancy.
So, what do you see in an ultrasound scan in this week?
Ultrasound Scan In The Seventh Week:
An early scan between the sixth and 14th weeks is called viability or dating scan (8). The reasons for an early scan include:
- Rule out any chances of ectopic pregnancy
- Confirm that the gestational sac is located properly inside the uterus
- Check the pregnancy viability
- Track the fetal heart rate
- Assess the gestational age
- See if the pregnancy is singleton or multiple
- Check for spotting or bleeding associated with any pain
A seventh-week ultrasound helps you see the heart of your baby flickering, indicating the heartbeat. The presence of heartbeat reduces the chances of miscarriage to 5%.
The separation between the embryo and the yolk sac at this week can be clearly seen during the scan. The crown-rump length (from top of the head to bottom) of the baby is measured, which also helps in determining the gestational age.
An ultrasound can help detect two distinct heartbeats in case of twin pregnancy. The twin babies are of smaller size compared to the singleton babies.
Your OB/GYN visit will include a check-up for:
- Blood pressure
- Any health issues, if you have
Your doctor will explain the importance of nutritional and physical care. They may also advise you to change your lifestyle if you smoke or consume alcohol.
Nutrition And Wellness At 7 Weeks Pregnancy
A healthy diet and regular exercising are essential during pregnancy. Here are some wellness and nutritional tips you can follow during the seventh week.
Seek your doctor’s approval before you begin any exercise during pregnancy.
- A daily walk for 30 minutes or more is a moderate physical activity you can start with.
- Yoga is beneficial, but do it under expert supervision.
- Increase iron intake: Due to the increased demand for blood supply, you can be at a risk of anemia (caused due to iron deficiency). Include iron-rich foods like green leafy vegetables, beef, and nuts in your diet.
- Prenatal supplements: Take them as prescribed by your doctor. They help you meet the recommended daily allowance of essential nutrients such as folic acid, iron, B complex vitamins and vital minerals.
Note: Prenatal supplements are not a substitute for a healthy diet.
Now we answer some questions that pregnant women mostly have in this week.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What is toxoplasmosis and how can I avoid it?
Toxoplasmosis is an infection you might contract by eating undercooked or raw meat or by touching cat feces. Since the immunity during pregnancy is suppressed, you can get this infection easily. Therefore, eat well-cooked food and avoid cleaning your cat’s litter during pregnancy (9).
2. Does doing too many activities lead to a miscarriage?
No. Activities like exercises and sexual intercourse do not pose any risk of miscarriage provided they are done safely and carefully.
3. What are the risks involved during the seventh week?
Some pregnant women are susceptible to the below two risks:
i. Ectopic pregnancy:
An ectopic pregnancy (10) happens when the fertilized egg attaches itself outside the uterus. The place of implantation can be the fallopian tube, cervix, ovary or the cornua. The symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy are almost similar to those of a normal pregnancy at the beginning but become severe later.
You are at the risk of ectopic pregnancy if you:
- had an ectopic pregnancy previously
- have pelvic inflammatory disease
- had surgery on your fallopian tubes
- had IVF treatment
During the seventh week, a miscarriage could happen due to any underlying health issues such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism or uterine problems, or an unhealthy lifestyle.
An early miscarriage can take place even before the woman knows about her pregnancy. Around 10-20% of women are susceptible to early miscarriages (11).
Second month is still the very beginning of your pregnancy and the feeling is just sinking in. But do not get overwhelmed with the emotions and neglect your health. Everything is new for you, so don’t worry if you are not yet perfect with your pregnancy care. Make an effort and everything will soon fall in line.
Do you have any experiences to share? Let us know in the comment section below.
- Uterus During Pregnancy: Its Size And Changes
- Stages Of Pregnancy: Month-By-Month Development
- Week-By-Week Fruit Comparison Of Baby
Latest posts by shreeja pillai (see all)
- 15 Best nursing pads to buy in 2019 - August 29, 2019
- 9 Best Nursing Pajamas To Buy in 2019 - August 28, 2019
- 200 Most Common Surnames Or Last Names In Germany - August 26, 2019
- 15 Best Drum Sets For Kids To Buy In 2019 - August 20, 2019
- 17 Best Hair Dryers For Girls To Buy In 2019 - August 7, 2019
- 15 Best Baby Winter Hats To Buy In 2019 - August 6, 2019
- 15 Best Guitars To Buy For Kids In 2019 - August 1, 2019
- 15 Best Water Tables To Buy For Kids In 2019 - August 1, 2019
- 11 Simple Tips To Improve Your Child's Handwriting - July 31, 2019
- 21 Best Sports Shoes To Buy For Kids In 2019 - July 26, 2019