Are you trying to have a baby? Then you may start noticing some early signs of pregnancy after you conceive. A lot of women confuse signs of pregnancy with those of the menstrual cycle, as both are quite similar. This MomJunction post about 8dpo tells you about the early symptoms of pregnancy, how soon you can experience them, and if they could confirm your pregnancy.
What Is 8dpo?
8dpo or eight days post ovulation symptoms refer to the signs of early pregnancy. After conception, a woman’s body produces a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG). This hormone leads to several bodily changes causing headaches, morning sickness, and more. These signs may start to appear approximately eight days after ovulation or after the fertilized egg is implanted on the uterus lining (1), hence the term 8dpo.
Is 8dpo Too Early To Check For Pregnancy Symptoms?
No, early pregnancy symptoms begin to appear shortly after implantation, or as early as eight days after ovulation. However, it is not the same for every woman. While some may see a few signs in eight days, others may not. However, it is good to learn about the symptoms you may experience 8dpo to identify any significant changes that indicate pregnancy.
What Are The 8dpo Symptoms?
Here are some of the 8dpo symptoms that you may look out for:
- Implantation bleeding is an early sign of pregnancy that usually occurs six to twelve days after conception. The implantation of an embryo into the uterine lining causes spotting or light bleeding. Most women consider it as menstruation spotting as it may occur before or around the time of menstrual cycle. Ovulation bleeding or spotting is common and nothing to worry about, as the bleeding stops after a short period (2).
- Frequent or increased urination, even when you are not taking a lot of fluids, can be one of the symptoms of pregnancy you may experience eight days after ovulation. Increased blood flow to kidneys due to hormonal changes leads to increased urine production, a common symptom of pregnancy that you shouldn’t stress about (3).
- Increasing hormone levels after conception could slow down the process of digestion and lead to constipation or fewer bowel movements. This is another sign that you could watch out for 8dpo if you are trying to get pregnant (4).
- Morning sickness is the most common symptom at any stage of pregnancy. However, some women may start experiencing vomiting and nausea soon after implantation, making it an early sign of pregnancy.
- You may have headaches and dizziness due to the fluctuating hormone levels after ovulation. You may also experience a light faintness, which is also a common and early symptom of pregnancy.
- Your senses heighten during early pregnancy, when you may develop cravings or aversions towards certain tastes and smells of food. You may even get hungrier during the early stages (5).
- Increase in the hCG levels after implantation could make your breasts sensitive, tender and swollen just after one or two weeks of conception. Other symptoms you could experience eight days post ovulation include tingling and discomfort around the nipples (6).
- After a few days of ovulation, the progesterone levels go up and regulate your mood and make you feel sleepy during the day. This, in turn, could make your body tired or fatigued (7).
In the next section, we will see if it is possible to test 8dpo and confirm pregnancy.
Can You Test For Pregnancy Eight Days After Ovulation?
Yes, you can test for pregnancy after eight days of ovulation. Note that if you take the test within eight days, the results may be negative. This happens as hCG can be detected only eight to eleven days after ovulation, which is just after implantation (8).
What Are The Next Steps?
In case the test results are negative, take the pregnancy test again after a few days or after your missed period. You can also visit the clinic and get a blood or urine test to confirm your pregnancy.
8dpo can be considered as the first milestone of your pregnancy. If you are planning to become a mommy, watch out for these subtle changes in your body. Chances are you may not experience any of these signs even if you are pregnant, so there is no need to get disheartened about it. You can always go to your doctor and get more accurate results.
Did you experience any symptoms 8dpo? How did you test for pregnancy? Do share with us in the comment section.
2. What Are The Causes and Symptoms Of Implantation Bleeding; New York Fertility Institute (2017)
3. W. L. Ryan, R. J. Luby, and M. J. Haller; The Relation of Urine Volume to the Menstrual Cycle and Ovulation; Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha.
4. Pregnancy Symptoms Before Missed Period: Do you know them?; Sitaram Bhartia Institute of Science & Research (2018)
5. Pregnancy Symptoms; Choices Women’s Resource Center
6. What are some common signs of pregnancy?; National Institute of Child and Human Development (2017)
7. Progesterone; Health Encyclopedia: University of Rochester Medical Center
8. F. Carmona et al.; Early Hormonal Markers of Pregnancy Outcome After In Vitro Fertilization and Embryo Transfer; Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics (2003)