Many women trying to conceive may want to know about 8dpo symptoms. Once conception happens, a woman’s body produces a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG). This hormone brings several changes in the body, and women may experience symptoms such as headaches and morning sickness. These symptoms may appear about eight days after the fertilized egg gets implanted in the uterine lining (1). Therefore, the term 8dpo or eight days post ovulation is commonly used.
However, many women do not experience these symptoms exactly eight days after ovulation. Some women may experience these symptoms early, while some nearly two weeks after they miss their period. Read about the 8dpo symptoms and its other attributes in this post.
What Are The 8dpo Symptoms?
Here are some of the 8dpo symptoms that you could look out for:
- Absence of menses is the first sign of pregnancy. Sometimes, Implantation bleeding is an early sign of pregnancy that usually occurs six to twelve days after conception. The implantation of an embryo into the uterine lining causes spotting or light bleeding. Most women consider it as menstruation spotting as it may occur before or around the time of the menstrual cycle. Ovulation bleeding or spotting is common and nothing to worry about, as the bleeding stops after a short period (2).
- Frequent or increased urination, even when you are not taking a lot of fluids, could be one of the symptoms of pregnancy that you may experience eight days after ovulation. Gravid uterus puts pressure on bladder, causes increase frequency of micturition (3).
- Increasing hormone levels after conception might slow down the process of digestion and lead to constipation or fewer bowel movements. This is another sign that you could watch out for 8dpo symptoms if you are trying to get pregnant(4).
- Morning sickness is the most common symptom at any stage of pregnancy. However, some women may start experiencing vomiting and nausea soon after implantation, making it an early sign of pregnancy.
- You may have headaches and dizziness due to the fluctuating hormone levels after ovulation. You may also experience a slight faintness, which is also a common and early symptom of pregnancy.
- Your senses may be heightened during early pregnancy, where you may develop cravings or aversions towards certain tastes and smells of food. You may even get hungrier during the early stages (5).
- An increase in the hCG levels after implantation could make your breasts sensitive, tender, and swollen just after one or two weeks of conception. Other symptoms you could experience eight days post ovulation include tingling and discomfort around the nipples (6).
- After a few days of ovulation, the progesterone levels go up and regulate your mood and make you feel sleepy during the day. This, in turn, could make your body tired or fatigued (6).
In the next section, we will see if it is possible to test 8dpo and confirm pregnancy.
Is 8dpo Too Early To Check For Pregnancy Symptoms?
Some women may show early pregnancy symptoms shortly after implantation, and some may not. But it is always advised to observe any subtle changes your body might show after implantation. So, it is good to learn about the 8dpo symptoms to help you identify the early signs of pregnancy.
Can You Test For Pregnancy Eight Days After Ovulation?
Yes, you can test for pregnancy after eight days of ovulation. Note that if you take the test within eight days, the results may be negative. This happens as hCG can be detected only eight to eleven days after ovulation, which is just after implantation (7). Also, in some women, the quantity of pregnancy hormones produced may not be sufficient to give a positive result eight days after ovulation.
What Are The Next Steps?
In case the test results are negative, take the pregnancy test again after a few days or after your missed period. You can also visit the clinic and get a blood or urine test to confirm your pregnancy.
Look out for these 8dpo symptoms that indicate early pregnancy if you are planning your pregnancy. Knowing about these distinctive symptoms, such as morning sickness, unusual tiredness, and tender breasts, can help you prepare and schedule your doctor’s appointment for a healthy pregnancy. However, sometimes you may not experience these exact symptoms even when pregnant, and do not worry if that is the case. If your gut tells you that you might be pregnant, take a pregnancy test and consult your Ob/GYN to confirm.
- 8dpo symptoms include apparent pregnancy indications such as missed period, nausea, constipation, and breasts sensitivity.
- When the hCG levels are high enough, a positive pregnancy test can be considered accurate after eight to eleven days following implantation.
- Observe the signs and consult your ob/gyn for confirmation.
2. Dr. Kalyani Singh; Assessment of First Trimester Vaginal Bleeding Using Ultrasound Sonography; Asian Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences
3. Katie F Foxcroft, et al.; Development and validation of a pregnancy symptoms inventory; BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth
4. Pregnancy Symptoms Before Missed Period: Do you know them?; Sitaram Bhartia Institute of Science & Research (2018)
5. E. Leslie Cameron; Pregnancy and olfaction: a review; Frontiers Psychology
6. Deborah C. Davis; The Discomforts of Pregnancy; Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Neonatal Nursing
7. Robyn Horsager-Boehrer, M.D.; How early can home pregnancy tests show positive results?; UT Southwestern Medical Center