Is your toddler suffering from the problem of absence seizure? Are you really worried about your child’s health condition? If yes, it is the right time to take the required precautions and effective medications to get your child cured as soon as possible.
Absence seizures can cause your child’s mind to blank out. You may be terribly frightened to observe the symptoms of such a disease in your little one. Through this post, you may get to know the causes, symptoms and effective treatment of absence seizures.
Read on to know more!
What Is Absence Seizures?
Absence seizure is sudden lapses of consciousness, which are mostly faced by the toddlers in their early childhood days. The toddler may lose his awareness of the surroundings for up to 20 seconds,and his mind will completely black out. Absence seizures are part of epilepsy symptoms called generalized seizures.(1)
Types Of Absence Seizures:
Absence Seizures experienced by toddlers are of two types: (2)
- Simple absence seizures: In a simple absence seizure, the child’s mind may get deviated or blank out for less than 10 seconds. At that particular moment, he may stare at something or stop his normal activities or speaking. Parents always confuse simple absence seizure with daydreaming, as it quite resembles like the later.
- Complex absence seizures: In a complex absence seizure, the blanking out may last for near about 20 seconds and the child may continue to stare into space accompanied by repetitive hand or leg movements. Complex absence seizures can cause further harm to the brain functioning, and it is always recommended to visit the doctor immediately.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Down Syndrome In Toddlers ]
Signs Of Absence Seizures In Toddlers:
You may notice various symptoms of Absence Seizures in your Toddlers. Some of such symptoms are as follows: (3)
- Rub their fingers together.
- Move their hands constantly.
- Blink their eyelids repetitively.
- Make chewing motions with their mouths.
- Smack their lips.
- Stare into space and not respond to other people around.
- Stop talking in the middle of a sentence.
What Causes Absence Seizures In Toddlers?
Absence seizure in toddlers may occur due to various reasons. Some of such causes are as follows: (4)
- Hyperventilation-The problem of hyperventilation or rapid breathing can often trigger Absence seizures in toddlers.
- Abnormal brain activity- Absence seizure is triggered due to abnormal signaling of the brainwaves, and thereby the child responds according to the signals received by his brain cells.
- Hereditary- If the parents or grandparents had suffered from the disease of Absence seizures, the chances of the toddlers to suffer from the disease is at the highest peak.
[ Read: Asperger’s Syndrome In Toddlers ]
Who Are Mostly At The Risk Of Absence Seizures?
Absence seizures are most common occurrence in toddlers and small children with their ages ranging from 4 to 14 years.
How Should Parents Know That Their Toddlers Are Suffering From Absence Seizures?
Some of the alarming signs, which may indicate that your toddler is suffering from absence Seizures are:
- Have social problems
- Communication problems
- Having difficulty to concentrate on studies
- Become subconscious more often
- Does not pay attention to their teachers
Treatment of Absence Seizures In Toddlers:
There are prescribes medications that may cure the problem of absence seizures in toddlers. Some of such medication may include: (5)
But all these medications should be always taken, after consultation with the medical practitioner.
[ Read: Brain Tumors In Toddlers ]
When To Consult A Doctor?
If the parents observe prolonged abnormal behaviors in their toddler’s activities like sudden blanking out or moving without awareness, it may be one of the possible symptoms of the disease of Absence seizures. It is always advisable to seek necessary guidance from an experienced medical practitioner.
With appropriate knowledge of the causes and symptoms of Absence Seizures, you can get your child easily cured of such abnormalities.
Did you toddler suffer from Absence Seizures? Which medications were suggested by your doctors? Do share your experiences with other mommies here!
- Dehydration In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Scabies In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 12 Serious Symptoms Of Scarlet Fever In Babies & Toddlers
- Body Odor In Toddlers – 4 Causes & 6 Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017
- Diet Plans For Overweight Pregnant Women - Everything You Need To Know - June 30, 2017
- 12 Common Complications Associated With Twin Pregnancy - June 30, 2017
- Hepatitis During Pregnancy: Types, Causes, And Treatment - May 11, 2017
- You Have Different Breastmilk For Your Daughter And Son - June 6, 2016
- How To Be A Good Husband - A Definite Guide - May 30, 2016
- 10 Delicious Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Recipes For Kids - May 27, 2016
- 8 Spectacular Nail Art Designs For Teens - May 24, 2016