Leadership qualities are important skills that uplift an individual’s personal and professional life. If you want to promote this skill in your child, you may try engaging them in various leadership activities for kids. While some children have leadership traits early, others need to be inspired to attain them. If your child is of the former type, you need to positively encourage them to boost the skill. On the other hand, if your child does not have the qualities of a leader, you must imbibe these qualities from a young age, so they develop social and interpersonal skills. Leadership in children is slightly different than in adults. Therefore, the activities that help acquire this skill in children must focus on teamwork and abilities to achieve a common objective. Children must learn to move forward in a team by choosing the most suitable path using available resources. Read on as we discuss the activities and importance of developing leadership skills in children.
What Is Leadership In A Child?
When you say leadership in a child it refers to a certain ability he or she possesses to be able to motivate and willingly lead a group towards a goal. This child can see a clear vision and the right path that needs to be taken to achieve the given goal.
Before you learn how to develop leadership skills in children, you need to understand what leadership is and what qualities you need to imbibe in them.
Essential Qualities Of Being A Leader:
The qualities are:
- To be honest and believe in oneself.
- To be able to control one’s emotions and show dedication towards the task.
- To be a good listener.
- To be fair and just and not be judgmental of others’ suggestions or opinions.
- Good decision-making skills.
- Positive attitude with a blend of humor.
Importance Of Cultivating Leadership Skills In Children:
As parents you always worry about your child’s future, especially if your children are introvert, timid or shy.
- You need to gear them with the tools needed to survive in the world.
- Give them a chance to face competition and make their own place.
- Another important reason to develop leadership qualities in children early is that it makes them confident and helps them express themselves better with others.
Once children grow up to clearly understand what it means to be a leader they will actively participate to be successful.
How To Inculcate Leadership Skills In Children?
There is a lot you can do for building leadership skills in children, but from where do you make a start?
1. Teaching Integrity, Responsibility And Trust:
You need to teach your child to realize what is right and wrong, especially when no one is watching.
- Be a role model to your child and follow good principles and discipline.
- Share with them stories on morals.
- Teach them to be responsible for their deeds.
- Gaining trust among others is also a crucial factor in being a leader.
2. Teaching Self-Belief, Confidence And Courage:
Encourage your child to believe in themselves.
- If your child says he or she wants to buy a Ferrari when they grow up, don’t laugh it off as something unrealistic or beyond their belief.
- Motivate them every step of their way.
- If you observe your child displaying courage don’t let it go unnoticed, appreciation goes a long way in nurturing these values.
3. Teaching Planning, Discipline And Creative Thinking:
Large tasks given to a child can be overwhelming.
- By teaching them to break it into smaller pieces and planning everything out, you can help them take up complex tasks.
- In a world of instant-gratification, you need to teach your child discipline.
- You also need to teach that she/he must have patience, to think about the consequences of their actions before it takes places.
- You must pave the way for them to think out of the box, by having conversations and asking more open-minded questions that helps them to think in an innovative manner.
- Encourage your child’s natural curiosity by answering their questions and not rubbing them off with negative comments like “I don’t know” or ” Don’t irritate me with your question”. If you genuinely don’t know the answer you can look up for one together.
What Are The Activities That Help Build Leadership Qualities?
Here are some good activities to help your children develop leadership qualities:
1. Team Building Activities:
There are many activities that you can involve your child in that can help build his or her leadership skills.
- Extra-curricular activities like team building games, problem-solving tasks, and treasure hunt games are good opportunities to enhance their skills of being leader.
- Many sports and outdoor activities encourage children to work as a team, form a trust and concentrate to reach a common goal, help in building self-esteem and self-confidence.
2. Art Related Activities:
Art is also a great medium for children to explore leadership qualities.
- Creating a collage with a leadership theme and having a strong message, choreographing a dance together or taking part in role play relating to leadership too can be insightful.
- Children will enjoy activities depending on their different interests and personalities. Important is that your child chooses the right activity that will not only teach him or her effective leadership skills but also reinforce good behavior and help them overcome future challenges.
“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”- John Quincy Adams.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the purpose of leadership activities?
Leadership skills can help drive and motivate a group of people to achieve their desired goals. Leadership skills build confidence and teach children how to solve issues creatively and work in teams. They also teach the fundamentals of providing dynamic support to the team and communicating clearly. Thus, leadership activities aid in developing teamwork and decision-making abilities.
2. What are five ways to show leadership?
Leadership reflects in one’s personality through traits such as taking responsibility for individual and team actions, having good listening skills, communicating effectively, being proactive, and possessing strategic thinking abilities.
Teamwork, honesty, decision-making, a positive attitude, and the ability to motivate and lead a group toward a goal are essential attributes for children. Encouraging your child to acquire these attributes at a young age will undoubtedly benefit them later in life, both personally and professionally. You can promote these qualities through leadership activities for kids, such as team-building games and art collages. These activities will educate them about morality, responsibility, faith, self-belief, confidence, and courage. As a parent, you should also encourage your child to plan tasks and carry them out with discipline and creativity as a leader.