Leadership is an important quality needed to be successful in your professional and personal life. Some are born with leadership qualities while others need to work towards acquiring it.
Children can be good leaders as well, and some are born leaders. If you are such a lucky parent, you just need to positively encourage it.
If you feel your children don’t have the in-built qualities to be a leader, you need to imbibe it when they are younger, as this will help them achieve their future goals in life.
Leadership in children isn’t the same as adults. It is not about one child ordering commands or things to be done to other kids. It’s about trying to reach a common goal by heading a group or taking a path to achieve what they want to by using the available resources at hand.
What Is Leadership In A Child?
When you say leadership in a child it refers to a certain ability he or she possesses to be able to motivate and willingly lead a group towards a goal. This child can see a clear vision and the right path that needs to be taken to achieve the given goal.
Before you learn how to develop leadership skills in children, you need to understand what leadership is and what qualities you need to imbibe in them.
[ Read: How To Make Your Child Independent ]
Essential Qualities Of Being A Leader:
The qualities are:
- To be honest and believe in oneself.
- To be able to control one’s emotions and show dedication towards the task.
- To be a good listener.
- To be fair and just and not be judgmental of others’ suggestions or opinions.
- Good decision making skills.
- Positive attitude with a blend of humor.
[ Read: How To Develop Creativity In Kids ]
Importance Of Cultivating Leadership Skills In Children:
As parents you always worry about your child’s future, especially if your children are introvert, timid or shy.
- You need to gear them with the tools needed to survive in the world.
- Give them a chance to face competition and make their own place.
- Another important reason to develop leadership qualities in children early is that it makes them confident and helps them express themselves better with others.
Once children grow up to clearly understand what it means to be a leader they will actively participate to be successful.
How To Inculcate Leadership Skills In Children?
There is a lot you can do for building leadership skills in children, but from where do you make a start?
1. Teaching Integrity, Responsibility And Trust:
You need to teach your child to realize what is right and wrong, especially when no one is watching.
- Be a role model to your child and follow good principles and discipline.
- Share with them stories on morals.
- Teach them to be responsible for their deeds.
- Gaining trust among others is also a crucial factor in being a leader.
2. Teaching Self-Belief, Confidence And Courage:
Encourage your child to believe in themselves.
- If your child says he or she wants to buy a Ferrari when they grow up, don’t laugh it off as something unrealistic or beyond their belief.
- Motivate them every step of their way.
- If you observe your child displaying courage don’t let it go unnoticed, appreciation goes a long way in nurturing these values.
3. Teaching Planning, Discipline And Creative Thinking:
Large tasks given to a child can be overwhelming.
- By teaching them to break it into smaller pieces and planning everything out, you can help them take up complex tasks.
- In a world of instant-gratification, you need to teach your child discipline.
- You also need to teach that she/he must have patience, to think about the consequences of their actions before it takes places.
- You must pave the way for them to think out of the box, by having conversations and asking more open minded questions that helps them to think in an innovative manner.
- Encourage your child’s natural curiosity by answering their questions and not rubbing them off with negative comments like “I don’t know” or ” Don’t irritate me with your question”. If you genuinely don’t know the answer you can look up for one together.
What Are The Activities That Help Build Leadership Qualities?
Here are some good activities to help your children develop leadership qualities:
1. Team Building Activities:
There are many activities that you can involve your child in that can help build his or her leadership skills.
- Extra-curricular activities like team building games, problem-solving tasks, and treasure hunt games are good opportunities to enhance their skills of being leader.
- Many sports and outdoor activities encourage children to work as a team, form a trust and concentrate to reach a common goal, help in building self-esteem and self-confidence.
2. Art Related Activities:
Art is also a great medium for children to explore leadership qualities.
- Creating a collage with a leadership theme and having a strong message, choreographing a dance together or taking part in role play relating to leadership too can be insightful.
- Children will enjoy activities depending on their different interests and personalities. Important is that your child chooses the right activity that will not only teach him or her effective leadership skills but also reinforce good behavior and help them overcome future challenges.
“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”- John Quincy Adams.
Hope you found this article helpful, do share with us your thoughts and views with other readers.
- 8 Simple & Easy Tips For Raising Your Kids Right
- 10 Best Ways To Boost Your Kid’s Confidence
- 3 Best Ways To Help Children Develop Self Control
- Top 10 Personality Development Tips For Your Children
Latest posts by Nandini Aravind (see all)
- Peritonsillar Abscess – Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatments - December 29, 2014
- What Happens To Your Cervix During Birth Or Labor? - November 5, 2014
- 2 Activities to Inculcate Leadership Qualities In Your Child - September 29, 2014