Alpha males are strong and aggressive, occupying the top spot in the social hierarchy. They possess certain traits, which allow them to stand out from the crowd and flourish.
So, what are these traits that make the alpha males successful? What does it mean to be an alpha male? How can you become an alpha male? In this post, we explore the idea of a true alpha male and the characteristics that define him and reveal ways to help you become one in a relationship.
What Is An Alpha Male?
An alpha male is considered to be an influential personality — a dominant individual who commands attention. With his confidence and magnetism, he has no trouble attracting women. His strength and leadership qualities inspire other men to follow him.
In earlier times, the alpha male was regarded as a loud, arrogant, and macho man. Aggressiveness and controlling behavior were considered his traits, and he was supposed to be a bully with a giant ego. However, in modern times, the characteristics assigned to an alpha male have evolved.
15 Characteristics And Traits Of An Alpha Male
Given below are a few characteristics of a true 21st-century alpha male.
1. He faces challenges head-on
Alpha males bravely face every challenge life throws at them. In fact, they thrive when life throws them a curveball. They conquer their fears and insecurities and overcome all the obstacles. Even when the stakes are high, they don’t stand down but strive. Failures are part of their life, too, but they are never get bogged down by them. They dust themselves off and try again.
2. He makes tough decisions
An alpha male has the ability to make tough decisions in high-pressure situations. He assesses the situation and decides the right thing to do. Once the decision is made, he doesn’t agonize over it. He shows confidence in his judgment and avoids second-guessing himself.
3. He is humble
Alpha men might reach new heights of success, but their feet are firmly on the ground. They feel happy about their achievements but are not arrogant about them. Bragging about their accomplishments is not their style. They are self-assured and don’t need validation from others.
4. He is fiercely determined
Alpha men are go-getters. They work persistently towards their goals and never back down. Even if they stumble along the way, they get up and keep going. Quitting is not a part of their vocabulary. If they believe in something, they fight against all odds to find a way and remain motivated.
5. He is a thorough gentleman
An alpha male is a thorough gentleman. He has a deep respect for women and appreciates them. It’s in his nature to open doors, pull out chairs, give his seat to a woman, and see her to the door after a date. He listens when the woman is speaking and never cuts her off mid-sentence.
6. He is a natural leader
Alpha males are natural leaders. They take charge of the situation and lead from the front. People are inspired by them and tend to follow them. Alpha men generally occupy senior executive-level positions in top companies because of their leadership qualities. They empower people and work with them to achieve success.
7. He is aware of his flaws
A man is not just defined by his strengths but also by the way he handles his weaknesses. Alpha men know their weaknesses well. They do not try to hide them in any manner. Flaws do not handicap them; instead, they work towards overcoming them. Alpha men are known for turning their weaknesses into strengths.
8. He is physically and mentally strong
Health is wealth — Alpha men know this adage well and take utmost care of their health. They keep their body fit by working out and eating healthy. Their fitness is not limited just to their body; they are mentally strong as well. They keep their cool even in high-pressure situations.
9. He is honest and upfront
Alpha men are pretty upfront. This doesn’t mean they are deliberately hurtful; they call a spade a spade even if it is painful. They are not afraid to tell the truth, even in the most tricky situations, and are strong enough to face the consequences. Alpha men believe in honestly and accept their mistakes even if it paints them in a less than favorable light.
10. He manages his emotions well
You need to have a good degree of emotional intelligence to connect well with people. Alpha men manage their emotions exceptionally well. In an emotionally charged situation, they think rationally instead of giving in to emotional outbursts. They are good at reading people’s emotions and diffusing volatile situations by showing empathy.
11. He is clear about his goals
Alpha men are very clear about what they want in life. They work hard to achieve the goals they have set for themselves in their professional or personal lives. They make every decision and every move keeping the end purpose in mind. You will never find them living a purposeless life.
12. He is particular about his appearance and posture
Well-groomed people make a great first impression. Alpha men are very particular about how they present themselves. They maintain personal hygiene, wear good clothes, and make sure they look their best. They are confident individuals and use their body language to their advantage. Standing straight, keeping the chin up, proper eye contact, firm handshake — these come naturally to the alpha male while interacting with people.
13. He is protective of loved ones
Real alpha men are not controlling but are fiercely protective of their loved ones. They care about people close to them and do everything in their power to keep these people safe. They don’t enjoy fights but seeing their dear ones in pain and at risk might bring out their aggressive side.
14. He has strong communication skills
Alpha men are good with people. They share interesting stories and keep their audience thoroughly entertained. Their innate charisma pulls people in, and they speak with confidence and assertiveness, gaining people’s trust. They also speak transparently and listen with interest when others talk.
15. He has a great sense of humor
One of the biggest strengths of an alpha male is his sense of humor. He doesn’t get offended if people make fun of him. Instead, he spins the situation in his favor by laughing at himself. He can make light of even his most humiliating failure because he considers it a learning experience. A silly joke has no effect on his sense of self-worth — he takes it in his stride and wins the hearts of even his detractors.
Alpha Males Vs. Beta Males
Beta males are considered to be quintessential nice guys. They are emotional and down to earth. Here is how alpha men are different from beta men.
- Confidence: Alpha men ooze confidence. They have an unshakeable belief in themselves. Beta men, too, have confidence, but they tend to doubt themselves at times — they can be shy and nervous in their social interactions.
- Self-esteem: Alpha men have high self-esteem and believe in themselves. In contrast, beta males tend to seek approval from others and can get insecure.
- Personality: Alpha males are outgoing and social creatures. Beta males, on the other hand, are introverts who like to keep to themselves.
- Leadership: Alpha men are strong leaders who can never follow other people. In contrast, beta men are more comfortable in following others. Hence, in a relationship, a beta man is more likely to let his partner take the lead.
- Relationships: Because of their lack of initiative and neutral behavior, some women tend to friendzone beta males. Some women are attracted to the charisma and sexual magnetism of the alpha, while others prefer the quiet and supportive beta male.
- Decision making: Alpha males are good at making decisions. Even in difficult situations, they can make decisions without fear or doubt. Beta males may harbor self-doubt, which can occasionally make it difficult for them to make quick and firm decisions.
- Focus: Alpha males are entirely focused on what they want in life. They generally prioritize themselves above everyone else. Sometimes, this behavior might come across as selfish. In contrast, beta males are thoughtful. They care about others and try to help. Often, they put the needs of other people before their own.
- Influence: Alpha males don’t get influenced by other people easily. They don’t care what others think about them and move ahead confidently. However, beta males are influenced by the opinion of others. They sometimes let people dictate what they should do in life. As a result, they can lose sight of their own goals.
- Nature: Alpha males can be stubborn and can seem aggressive at times. They can also be dominating. In contrast, beta males are soft and sweet.
- Expressing emotions: Alpha males have iron-clad control over their emotions. They don’t show them easily. On the other hand, beta males are sensitive and are not afraid to express their emotions.
How To Be An Alpha Male In A Relationship?
Being a true alpha male in any relationship can help you build a healthy and lasting connection. Here are some tips to help you become an alpha male in a relationship.
- Have a life beyond the relationship
It is a great thing to find the woman of your dreams. But if your entire life revolves around her, causing you to lose your identity, it is not healthy. You are more than just a partner to someone. To be an alpha male, you need to have a life outside the relationship as well. Take out some time to follow your interests or learn something new.
When in a relationship, you develop many mutual friends; however, it is vital to have your own set of friends. Find time to catch up with them and also spend some time with yourself to sort your thoughts and feelings. Meet up with your family regularly. All these things will help you in maintaining a sense of self and allow you to keep growing.
- Don’t lose sight of your true goal
An alpha male never loses focus from his goal. A relationship is important to him, but he has a purpose beyond her too. It can be materialistic, personal growth, family-related, or spiritual. If you wish to be an alpha male, you need to keep your eyes on the prize. Your entire life’s purpose cannot be just about being with her. She can be an integral part of your life but not your whole life. Set a goal in life and continue to make efforts towards fulfilling it.
- Take care of your physical health
Alpha men have control over their bodies. They put in efforts to discipline it and be fit. To be a true alpha, you don’t have to show off any special physical prowess; Be in your peak physical shape. A strong body will help you exude power and confidence. You will feel good about yourself and make the woman in your life happy.
- Uphold your self-respect
It is essential to value your self-respect. Do not allow anyone to disrespect you. If your partner tries to walk all over you or take advantage of you, put a stop to it. Take a stand for yourself, and don’t allow anyone to control or manipulate you. If you respect and value yourself, you will command respect.
- Lead from the front
If you plan to be an alpha, you need to show leadership qualities. Take initiatives. Arrange a date or an outing. Decide where to take your girlfriend out. Plan a surprise for her. Develop the ability to make firm decisions in the relationship without any self-doubt. Your girlfriend will appreciate this display of leadership.
- Learn to control your mind and emotions
When you and your partner don’t see eye to eye on something, it is crucial to keep your cool and handle the situation calmly without falling prey to your emotions. Any type of anger or aggressive dominance can harm the relationship.
Alpha males are knowledgeable individuals who are greatly valued and respected. These powerful traits are the keys to their success in the professional world as well as in relationships. While it requires consistent efforts to become an alpha, the tips given in this article can help you along the right path. Follow them not just to win in relationships but to win in life.