Eggs for kids are an excellent source of protein, iron, vitamins, and fats. But it should also be noted that you should refrain from giving too much egg to your little ones as it is a high source of protein and might adversely affect the kidneys if eaten in excess amounts. Too many eggs might also cause bloating and vomiting. Therefore, it is advised that children should have only about two eggs a day so that they may get other nutrients from different foods as well. Continue reading this post as we talk about the benefits of eggs for children and the ideal quantity for consumption.
Nutritional Values Of an Egg For Kids
Here is a per egg nutritional chart for you:
|Total Fat||5.0 grams|
How Many Eggs Should Your Kid Eat In A Day/Week?
There is no particular limit on the number of eggs a child can consume in a week, but it is generally believed that four eggs are ideal to ensure that he is getting the required nutrients and at the same time avoiding the risk of high cholesterol due to excessive consumption.
There is no harm in your child eating up to one egg a day. The best way is to feed your kid with a combination of foods to ensure that he is getting all the nutrients, instead of overfeeding him with just one type of food.
Top 10 Health Benefits Of Eggs For Kids
The next time your child complains too much about eating eggs, you can list him the benefits of eggs given below!
1. Complete protein
Eggs are a complete protein food. Each egg contains 6 grams of protein per serving.
- Proteins are the building blocks for a young body and are required for new cell generation and regeneration of cells. Eggs help kids grow bigger and stronger.
2. Eggs contain lutein and zeaxanthin
Eggs are an excellent source of lutein and Zeaxanthin, which are essential for healthy eyes.
- They keep vision sharp and reduces the impact macular degeneration.
- They also ensure the health of the retina.
3. Eggs contain choline
Choline helps in building the membranes of the cells.
- It also important for the development of the brain.
- Choline is also responsible for the molecules of the brain which signal the nerves. 1 egg contains 100 mcg of choline.
4. Eggs contain omega-3s
Omega 3 are healthy fats found predominantly in fish.
- Omega 3 helps in early brain development and cognitive memory.
- Regular consumption of eggs can help delay the onset of arthritis and heart diseases as the kids mature into adults.
5. Eggs are replete with vitamin-D
Eggs are an excellent source of vitamin D .
- Vitamin D is important for the bone health of growing kids.
- Egg is the only food based source of vitamin D.
6. Eggs help in healthy hair and nails
Eggs contain 9 essential amino acids which help in the growth of the healthy nails and hair for kids.
- Kids are always chewing off their nails or breaking them and eggs ensure faster regrowth.
- You can also use egg as a natural conditioner!
7. Complete balance of fats
Eggs contain the right balance of saturated and unsaturated fats which make it an excellent snack for growing bodies.
- We are fighting childhood obesity on a global scale and hence we can feed eggs to the kids without any worries about obesity.
- Try poached or boiled eggs, rather than fried ones!
8. Eggs have minimal cholesterol
Eggs have minimal harmful cholesterol. In Fact, consumption of eggs leads to a spike in the HDL (good cholesterol).
- This is extremely important keeping in mind the global children obesity epidemic.
- You can prepare eggs with minimal fats lesser oil or boiled eggs ) to ensure that you kid receive adequate nutrition without the harmful effects.
9. Eggs contain B12
Eggs are an excellent source of the B12 vitamin. It is better to get this vitamin naturally, thank in pill form.
- Vit B12 is essential for neural health.
- This vitamin is also called cobalamin. It is important for your child’s brain and nervous system development.
10. Eggs contain folic acid
This water soluble vitamin is equally essential for the neural health of kids.
- A folate deficiency can lead to weakness and nerve damage.
- So, it is essential to load up on eggs for the right dose of folic acids.
All these egg benefits for kids reiterate the importance of eggs in their diet. Try and incorporate eggs in as many forms as possible as it is a versatile food.
Can Kids Eat Raw Eggs?
The AAP says, “Don’t allow your child to eat raw or partially cooked eggs, or products containing raw eggs.”
Eggs are one of the best sources of protein and calcium for kids. Consuming one egg per day helps in the proper development of your child’s brain and cognitive memory. It also aids in strengthening their bones and muscles. However, eggs should be consumed in moderation to avoid the risk of high cholesterol. Therefore, give your child an appropriate amount of eggs to help them get their full benefits. You should also include other vegetables and fruits in their meals to make a balanced diet.
Reference : 1