“Sunday ho ya Monday , Roz Khao Ande” is the famous tagline for the national egg campaign in India!
This tagline in media is everywhere, to increase egg consumption in kids. From omelettes to boiled eggs, scrambled to french toast – we have tried them all.
We all know that eating eggs everyday are beneficial for toddlers and kids. Let’s delve a little deeply into the benefits of boiled eggs,omelettes and raw eggs for children, nutritional values, is it good to Eat Egg Every Day and how many eggs to include in your kid’s diet, so that we can maximise the goodness of eggs.
Nutritional Values Of an Egg For Kids:
Here is a per egg nutritional chart for you:
|Total Fat||5.0 grams|
How Many Eggs Should Your Kid Eat In A Day/Week?
There is no particular limit on the number of eggs a child can consume in a week, but it is generally believed that four eggs are ideal to ensure that he is getting the required nutrients and at the same time avoiding the risk of high cholesterol due to excessive consumption.
There is no harm in your child eating up to one egg a day or seven a weak, but beyond that there could be a risk of coronary heart disease or stroke. The best way is to feed your kid with a combination of foods to ensure that he is getting all the nutrients, instead of overfeeding him with just one type of food.
Top 10 Health Benefits Of Eggs For Kids:
The next time your child complains too much about eating eggs, you can list him the benefits of eggs given below!
1. Complete Protein:
Eggs are a complete protein food. Each egg contains 6 grams of protein per serving.
- Proteins are the building blocks for a young body and are required for new cell generation and regeneration of cells. Eggs help kids grow bigger and stronger.
- Ensure that your kids consume one egg a day and you don’t need to give him a multivitamin at all!
2. Eggs Contain Lutein And Zeaxanthin:
Eggs are an excellent source of lutein and Zeaxanthin, which are essential for healthy eyes.
- They keep vision sharp and reduces the impact macular degeneration.
- They also ensure the health of the retina.
[ Read: Egg Recipes For Kids ]
3. Eggs Contain Choline:
Choline helps in building the membranes of the cells.
- It also important for the development of the brain.
- Choline is also responsible for the molecules of the brain which signal the nerves. 1 egg contains 100 mcg of choline.
[ Read: Importance Of Zinc In Children ]
4. Eggs Contain Omega-3s:
Omega 3 are healthy fats found predominantly in fish.
- Omega 3 helps in early brain development and cognitive memory.
- Regular consumption of eggs can help delay the onset of arthritis and heart diseases as the kids mature into adults.
5. Eggs Are Replete With Vitamin D:
Eggs are an excellent source of vitamin D .
- Vitamin D is important for the bone health of growing kids.
- Egg is the only food based source of vitamin D.
[ Read: Benefits Of Vitamin D For Kids ]
6. Eggs Help In Healthy Hair And Nails:
Eggs contain 9 essential amino acids which help in the growth of the healthy nails and hair for kids.
- Kids are always chewing off their nails or breaking them and eggs ensure faster regrowth.
- You can also use egg as a natural conditioner!
7. Complete Balance Of Fats:
Eggs contain the right balance of saturated and unsaturated fats which make it an excellent snack for growing bodies.
- We are fighting childhood obesity on a global scale and hence we can feed eggs to the kids without any worries about obesity.
- Try poached or boiled eggs, rather than fried ones!
[ Read: Cookie Recipes For Kids ]
8. Eggs Have Minimal Cholesterol:
Eggs have minimal harmful cholesterol. In Fact, consumption of eggs leads to a spike in the HDL (good cholesterol).
- This is extremely important keeping in mind the global children obesity epidemic.
- You can prepare eggs with minimal fats lesser oil or boiled eggs ) to ensure that you kid receive adequate nutrition without the harmful effects.
9. Eggs Contain B12 Vitamin:
Eggs are an excellent source of the B12 vitamin. It is better to get this vitamin naturally, thank in pill form.
- Vit B12 is essential for neural health.
- This vitamin is also called cobalamin. It is important for your child’s brain and nervous system development.
10. Eggs Contain Folic Acid:
This water soluble vitamin is equally essential for the neural health of kids.
- A folate deficiency can lead to weakness and nerve damage.
- So, it is essential to load up on eggs for the right dose of folic acids.
All these egg benefits for kids reiterate the importance of eggs in their diet. Try and incorporate eggs in as many forms as possible as it is a versatile food.
Can Kids Eat Raw Eggs:
The AAP says, “Don’t allow your child to eat raw or partially cooked eggs, or products containing raw eggs.”
Hope you liked our information about eggs for kids. Do share your experiences in the comments below.
Reference : 1
- Top 20 Bread Recipes For Kids That You Can Try Today
- 10 Yummy Baking Recipes To Try Out For Your Kids
- 4 Yummy & Easy Pasta Recipes For Your Kids
- What Is The Recommended Potassium Intake For Children?