Your little one is growing and at this stage you cannot let him miss out on Vitamin B. Yes! This vitamin is crucial for children in their growing years as it helps in boosting their mental as well as physical growth.
Vitamin B complex for kids is a combination of 8 important vitamins, namely:
- Vitamin B1, also known as thiamine
- Vitamin B2, also known as riboflavin
- Vitamin B3, also known as niacin
- Vitamin B5, also known as pantothenic
- Vitamin B6, also known as pyridoxine
- Vitamin B7, also known as biotin
- Vitamin B9, also known as folic acid
- Vitamin B12, also known as cobalamin
4 Types Of Vitamin B For Kids And Their Benefits:
“Vit”-amins are “vital”! If any vitamin is deficient in the body, it can cause severe diseases. At the same time, when any particular vitamin is taken in excess, it can also result in harmful side effects. Let us understand some of the important vitamins which are vital in growing children.
1. Vitamin B1 (Thiamine):
Vitamin B1 is responsible for energy production in your child’s body. For growing children the requirement of this vitamin ranges from 500-900 micrograms per day.
- This vitamin is crucial for converting sugar and other carbohydrates into energy.
- It protects the nervous system from any kind of damage or degeneration.
- And most importantly, it is necessary for passing on messages from brain (nervous system) to different organs of body.
Vitamin B1 for kids can be obtained from the following sources:
- Sunflower seeds
- Roasted Soy
- Green peas
- Wheat Bread
Remember, vitamin B1 is highly sensitive to temperature. Thus, when food is overcooked, processed or frozen, it may lose the vital B1 contents.
[ Read: Vitamin C For Kids ]
2. Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine):
It is an essential vitamin and works in the overall smooth operation of the various internal body functions. For growing children, the requirement of this vitamin ranges from 0.5 -1.0 milligram per day.
- This vitamin plays a vital role in the proper functioning of the cardiovascular and also the nervous system.
- It also aids in good digestion and immunity development.
- It is necessary for proper functioning of brain and is the one which regulates moods.
Vitamin B6 for kids can be obtained from the following sources:
- Whole grains
- Nuts and beans
Remember, it is better to get B6 from a balanced diet. In case of taking supplements, when you intake excess of this vitamin it can lead to nausea, abdominal pain and also neurological problems.
[ Read: Vitamin A For Kids ]
3. Vitamin B7 (Biotin):
This water soluble vitamin from the B complex group is highly essential for metabolic processes of fat and carbohydrates. For growing children, the requirement of this vitamin ranges from 12-40 micrograms.
- It helps in keeping calm and maintaining a healthy nervous system.
- It can prove useful for those having type-2 diabetes and also controlling insulin levels.
- It is essential in maintaining healthy growth of hairs and nails.
Vitamin B7 can be obtained from the following sources.
- Fortified cereals
- Egg yolks
[ Read: Benefits Of Zinc For Children ]
4. Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin):
Vitamin B12 is essential for old and young alike. According to doctors, daily requirement for this vitamin is about 2.5 micrograms.
- It is important for DNA synthesis and has innumerable benefits for young children.
- It fights against asthma in children and also helps in some extent to combat against HIV aids.
- This vitamin also helps in production of red blood cells and maintains efficient nervous system.
Vitamin B12 for kids can be obtained from the following sources:
- Dairy products
The deficiency of this vitamin can cause serious problems like anaemia, fragile muscles, and stalled growth. Thus, when your child gets a proper balanced diet, he can obtain the necessary vitamins from them only.
[ Read: Potassium For Children ]
Are Vitamin Supplements Recommended?
When your child is not getting the requisite vitamins from his food, only then should he be given supplements to meet that deficiency of vitamins.
- Do not decide on your own, let the doctor decide which vitamin supplement should be taken.
- Also, do not change the dosage of supplements on your own. Stopping or increasing the dosage has to be recommended only by your child’s doctor!
- Sometimes, it is beneficial to take B complex injections to meet the body requirement of vitamins, because injections can directly pass the nutrients into the bloodstream.
- Lastly, you should understand that nothing can replace a balanced diet and too much reliance on supplements is not good for health.
[ Read: Vitamin D For Kids ]
We hope you have understood the importance of these vitamins for healthy growth of your little one. Do spread awareness of the necessity of vitamins in our body and also share more information on its benefits and advantages for living a healthy life.
We would like to know your tips and views on vitamin b for kids, do share them with us in the comment section below.
- Top 9 Symptoms Of Vitamin D Deficiency In Children
- 8 Best Zinc Rich Foods For Your Kid
- 10 Best Iron Rich Foods For Your Kids
- 10 Best Calcium Rich Foods For Your Kids
Latest posts by Palak Shah (see all)
- Gonorrhea During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - January 2, 2015
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding? - December 31, 2014
- Kitchen Safety For Kids - Rules And Tips You Need To Know - December 31, 2014
- 4 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Insect Bites In Babies/Infants - December 26, 2014
- 4 Health Benefits Of Wheat For Your Baby - November 27, 2014
- 7 Effective Tips On Making Your Restless Baby Sleep - October 10, 2014
- 5 Remedies To Get Rid Of Clumsiness During Pregnancy - October 7, 2014
- How Does Caffeine Affect Fertility In Men And Women? - September 29, 2014
- Infertility Treatment - Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) - September 29, 2014
- 4 Amazing Benefits Of Vitamin B For Kids - September 17, 2014