Is your infant cranky? Do you notice an inflammation on the right side of the belly? Well, if you have nodded along, then your little one might have a stomach ache. However, if the stomach ache intensifies or lasts for more than a day, then it could be a sign of appendicitis.
Older children can easily describe the telltale signs of the abdominal pain. But there is little your baby can do to make you understand what is bothering him. So how can you identify appendicitis in babies? Well, for a start, read our post.
What Is Appendicitis?
Appendicitis is the inflammation of the infection of the appendix. The appendix is a small, finger-shaped organ that sits right above the large intestine. The inflammation happens when the bacteria get trapped in the appendix by a large nymph node or a hard stool compressing the opening. Once infected, you need to remove the appendicitis to prevent it from bursting or spreading into the abdomen.
Appendicitis is one of the most common causes of abdominal surgery. People with a family history of appendicitis are most susceptible to the appendix and males are more prone to it than females. The peak age of appendicitis is between 10 and 30. But the good news is that the number of cases of appendicitis is declining. It is because people now include more fiber-rich foods in their diet than earlier.
[ Read: Cures For Abdominal pain In Babies ]
Appendicitis In Infants:
Appendicitis is rare in infants and is hard to diagnose too. At first, it may look like stomach flu. If you suspect your infant to have appendicitis, then you must get him diagnosed with Hirschsprung disease first.
Causes Of Appendicitis In Infants:
It is tough to determine what causes appendicitis; doctors are divided over what causes it. It is possible that the appendix may be clogged with stool and bacteria. The mucus produced by the appendix can thicken and cause a blockage. Bacteria inside the can multiply and cause appendicitis.
[ Read: Kidney Reflux In Babies ]
Symptoms Of Appendicitis In Infants:
Call your pediatrician immediately if you notice any of these infant appendicitis symptoms:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Your baby’s abdomen will be sensitive to your touch.
[ Read: Liver Problems In Babies ]
Diagnosing Appendicitis In Infants:
The symptoms of appendicitis are similar to those of kidney stones, urinary tract infection, and pneumonia. So it’ll be a challenge for doctors to diagnose it. Your pediatrician will tell you if you need to bring your baby to the emergency room or not. In the hospital, the doctor may do an ultrasound, an X-Ray or a CT scan to determine the exact cause. These painless procedures will help him get a better image of your baby’s appendix. He may also perform a blood test and a urine test to make sure that a urinary tract infection is not responsible for your baby’s symptoms. He will also consult with a surgeon who will decide if your child needs a surgery or not.
Treating Appendicitis In Babies:
An appendectomy is a standard treatment for appendicitis. The surgeon may make an incision in the abdomen or may use a surgical device to create a smaller opening. An appendectomy will require your baby to stay in the hospital for 2 to 3 days. Before and after the surgery, the antibiotics and intravenous fluids will prevent complications and decrease the risk of infection. If needed, the doctor may also give painkillers.
So, was your little one diagnosed with appendicitis? If yes, then what treatment worked for him? How did you help him overcome it? Please share your experiences with other anxious moms. Leave a comment below.
- Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCID) In Infants – 4 Causes, 8 Symptoms & 8 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Encephalitis In Babies – 9 Causes & 14 Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of
- Down Syndrome In Babies – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- 7 Effective Tips To Deal With Anorexia In Infants
Latest posts by Arshi (see all)
- 200 Most Attractive And Hot Guy Names That Women Love - August 23, 2017
- 50 Latest Mormon Baby Names For Boys And Girls With Meanings - May 19, 2017
- 15 Major Festivals Of India Your Kid Should Know - September 15, 2016
- 107 Festive Themed Christmas Baby Names For Boys And Girls - September 8, 2016
- 40 Valentine's Day Inspired Baby Names For Boys And Girls - May 31, 2016
- Top 25 Unicorn Coloring Pages For Toddlers - May 23, 2016
- 83 Popular Gender Neutral Or Unisex Baby Names - May 17, 2016
- 50 Terrific Baby Names That Mean Angel For Boys And Girls - May 16, 2016
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Jaipur - May 16, 2016
- 15 Top And Best Schools In Surat City - May 12, 2016