Aptamil Gold vs. Nan Pro: An Insightful Comparison Of Two Leading Baby Formulas
Parents might find it confusing to decide upon a baby formula for their little one, with so many available options. However, this is one important decision for them since the first few months of an infant’s life are vital for their growth. Your baby requires essential nutrients to grow, and the formula must meet those needs. Moreover, since your baby’s immunity and digestive system are still developing, you’d want to opt for a formula that is gentle on your baby’s tummy while protecting them from infections.
This article compares two leading baby formulas, Nestle Nan Pro 1 Infant Formula and Aptamil Gold Infant Formula Stage 1.
Aptamil Gold Vs. Nan Pro
Breast milk contains protein such as whey and casein in a specific ratio. For example, while breastmilk in the first 10 days contains whey to casein ratio of 90:10, later the ratio changes to 60: 40. Whey is easily digestible by infants while casein keeps the infant fuller for longer . Therefore, when looking for infant formula, it is always advisable to go for a formula that contains a similar ratio so that it is soothing to the infant’s still-developing stomach. When comparing both the brands, Aptamil Gold has a 60:40 whey to casein ratio while NanPro has a 70:30 ratio.
Other things to look out for in a baby formula are protein, milk fat, lactose, Prebiotic HMOs, DHA, and other essential nutrients like calcium, iron, etc.
For a better understanding and to know more about the differences between the two formulas, let’s read on.
Aptamil Gold Stage 1 Infant Formula
Aptamil Gold is the No.1 formula in Europe and was launched in India in January 2017 by Danone India. Since its launch Aptamil Gold has been bringing new science in infant nutrition with nutrients such as DHA:ARA, Prebiotic Human Milk Oligosaccharides (HMOs).These necessary nutrients help in baby’s immunity, gut health and brain development.
Aptamil Gold Stage 1 infant formula contains balanced age-appropriate nutrients to support babies’ overall growth and development from 0-6 months. Aptamil Gold has optimum whey to casein ratio (60:40) that is easier to digest as well as keeps your baby satiated. It also aids in digestion resulting in softer stools.
In addition, this formula contains the protein, milk fat, lactose, and other essential nutrients like calcium and iron. All these are the most essential nutrients a mother should look for when considering a formula.
Key ingredients are prebiotics, GOS & FOS, HMO 2’-FL and the highest concentration of DHA.
When Can You Use It?
Aptamil Gold Stage 1 Infant formula is suitable for infants from 0-6 months.
Rs, 835 for a 400g Tin
- It contains all the essential nutrients that a baby requires for healthy gut, Immunity, brain development and overall growth of the baby.
- The first formula in India containing prebiotics scGOS and lcFOS in 9:1 ratio combined with Human Milk Oligosaccharides ( HMO 2’-FL). HMO 2’-FL is a prebiotic found in breast milk that has numerous benefits for the baby, including boosting immunity, providing relief from digestive discomfort, and promoting brain development.
- Contains the right ratio of DHA and ARA along with iron, iodine, folic acid, choline, and taurine to support brain and visual functions
- 100 % lactose supports digestive health.
- It includes beta-carotene (vitamin A) that helps support the immune system
- As per some parents, the packaging could have been better highlighting benefits.
Aptamil Gold Stage 1 Infant FormulaBuy On Amazon
Nan Pro 1 Infant Formula
Nestle Nan Pro 1 Infant Formula is a spray-dried formula suitable for infants from birth up to 6 months. This formula contains whey & casein protein with probiotic L.Reuteri. It also contains DHA, which supports the baby’s brain and vision development. Fortified with zinc, iron, and vitamins A, C, and D, it offers wholesome nutrition for babies.
Whey to casein ratio 70: 30 probiotic (L. Reuteri) and DHA.
When Can You Use It?
Nan Pro 1 is suitable for infants from birth up to 6 months
Rs 760 for a 400g Tin
- This spray-dried infant formula includes DHA and ARA that helps support baby’s brain and vision development.
- It contains L-Reuteri, a probiotic that helps improve an infant’s digestive health by reducing colic and discomfort episodes.
- It is a whey-predominant formula with 70% whey and 30% casein that helps infants grow while being gentle on their still-developing digestive systems.
- It might make some babies gassy.
Nan Pro 1 Infant FormulaBuy On Amazon
Aptamil Gold vs Nan Pro: Similarities and Differences
- Both the products comply with Indian Standards defined by FSSAI and are safe for infants
- Both products are suitable for babies from birth up to six months
- Both have Stage 2 and Stage 3 formula for babies 6 months and above
- Aptamil Gold is the only brand in India which contains Prebiotic GOS/FOS along with HMOs (2’-FL), which is the 3rd largest component found in breast milk, while Nan Pro has probiotic, L-Reuteri while Nan Pro has probiotic, L-Reuteri
- Aptamil Gold is smoother in consistency compared to Nan Pro
- Nan pro is slightly cheaper than Aptamil Gold
- The whey:casein ratio of Nan Pro is 70:30, while that of Aptamil Gold is 60:40, bringing it closer to composition of human breast milk
- Aptamil Gold has beta-carotene, which Nan Pro does not have
Aptamil Gold Vs. Nan Pro – Final Thoughts
Based on the above discussion, we can say that both products have been scientifically designed to meet your infant’s nutritional needs. They contain DHA, ARA, and other essential nutrients that are beneficial for your baby’s growth. However, Aptamil Gold Infant Formula Stage 1 contains a whey to casein ratio of 60:40, which is closer to that present in breast milk. Whereas, Nan Pro 1 Infant Formula has a ratio of 70:30, making it more suitable for babies who are advised a whey dominant formula. Also, while Aptamil Gold has a unique blend of Prebiotic HMOs, Nan pro 1 has probiotic L. Reuteri. Keeping these factors in mind, you can always consult your baby’s pediatrician about which formula would be more suitable for your little one.
Breast milk is the best food for an infant. However, if your baby’s pediatrician recommends milk substitutes, consider their advice and choose a formula based on your baby’s needs.
Although both infant formulas are designed scientifically to meet your baby’s complete nutritional requirements, Aptamil Gold has a winning edge over Nan Pro. This is because it contains a unique blend of Prebiotic HMOs2’-FL and GOS/FOS, which plays a vital role in boosting an infant’s immunity, gut health, and also brain development. Moreover, it has beta carotene, which is not there in Nan Pro. Also, the formula should be easily digestible by the baby. However, at the end of the day, parents should use a formula recommended by a pediatrician based on their baby’s needs.
Having gone through the details of both the baby formulas and their ingredient list, we can say that both are good for meeting your 0-6 months baby’s nutritional needs. But keeping in mind that not all formulas are apt for all babies, it is always good to consult your baby’s pediatrician to make the right choice for your little one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does Nan Pro 1 increase weight?
Babies undergo a lot of physical and psychosocial changes in the first few months. Their development is tremendous. However it is good to keep in mind that weight gain can happen at different ranges and stages for each baby. Also, it depends on other factors such as genetics, how active the baby is and so on. Generally Nan Pro 1 or any other formula helps babies gain age appropriate weight by meeting their bodies nutritional requirements.
2. Does Aptamil Gold make babies sick?
Aptamil Gold is a nutritionally complete formula that is suitable for babies from birth up to 6 months of Age. It has HMO 2’-FL that has numerous health benefits for an infant including improving gut health, boosting immunity and helping in brain development. It also has other essential nutrients such as DHA, ARA, vitamins like beta carotene and minerals,that helps boost immunity, brain and vision in babies. It is a scientifically well-researched formula and has no noted side effects. However, to ensure it is suitable for your baby, consult your baby’s pediatrician first.
3. Which formula is closest to breastmilk?
While most baby formulas are scientifically designed in a way that they meet the baby’s growing body’s nutritional requirements, Aptamil Gold contains HMO 2’-FL, that is found in abundance in breast milk. Prebiotic HMOs help the growth of good bacteria in the gut, which in turn protects the baby from various infectious diseases. Moreover the fermentation products of HMOs by the gut bacteria acts like fuel for the brain cells, thereby helping with brain growth and development. It also helps reduce gastro-intestinal discomfort in babies, leading to happier and healthier babies.