When working from home, no matter the profession, one needs a productive work environment. In this post on “best chair for artists,” we help you create an ideal work environment.
An artist needs to spend hours on a chair creating a masterpiece. This means the chair should conform to the ergonomic characteristics. It should provide the right back support, encourage a good posture, offer good accessibility to the work area, and have adjustable seat support. The presence of additional features, such as armrests, storage spaces, and foot support, is helpful.
With so many features to consider, it could get difficult for you to find the right one. So go ahead with our picks.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Chairs For Artists
The Flash Furniture drafting chair, with its built-in lumbar support, could be an ideal option for artists of all ages. It is comfortable and offers plenty of character with its high standing desk feature.
The meshed backrest supports the back and does not cause any pain. Its net dimensions are 25.5(W)x24.5(D)x50.75(H)in, with a seat depth of 19in, and back width of 17-20in. You get it in different sizes and color options.
- Heavy-duty, nylon base with dual-wheel casters for easy rolling across the floor
- Lightweight, soft, and durable
- Ventilated curved back is breathable and provides support to the lower back
- Full swivel seat and height adjustable chrome foot ring
- Pressure-relieving waterfall edge that improves circulation
- Flip-up arms offer the option to use the chair with or without arms
- Padded armrests take off pressure from shoulder and neck, providing comfort
- Supports weight up to 250lb
- Tilt lock mechanism plus tilt tension adjustment knob
- May not fully tilt back
- Does not allow you to adjust the height of the arms
Designed for comfort and increased productivity, this stool-chair could be ideal for a dorm room, spa, medical room, or home. It is also tattoo-artist approved, with an upright design that mimics your spine’s natural shape for improved comfort. It has a backrest, footrest, wheels, and a swiveling feature. It comes in beige, black, and gray color options available in two styles – with and without back cushion. Take a look at this video to get more information on the product.
- Upholstery is comfortable and easy to clean
- Chair height is adjustable
- Heavy-duty pneumatic gas lift
- Dual wheel casters for smooth movement
- Attractive chrome finish makes it look modern and nice
- Easy to assemble
- Not suitable for heavy people
- Seat may be a bit hard and uncomfortable for some
The Causal Home classic-style director’s chair is made of sustainably sourced solid wood. It features built-in armrests, footrest, and canvas. This is suitable for homes, schools, businesses, and events. The net dimensions of the chair frame are 23(W)x19(D)x39.5(H)in, and the seat depth is 24in. You can pick from different frames and canvas color options for the chair.
- Can be used as a permanent or temporary seating option
- Folds easily for simple storage
- Armrests and footrest provides support and comfort
- Solid wood construction is durable and long-lasting
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Canvas built for lasting strength
- Easy to assemble
- Not suitable for heavier individuals
- Canvas may stretch after repeated use
The KingCamp deluxe folding chair could be the best chair for makeup artists. It may also be an ideal work assistant for motion picture directors, actors, and staff. It can be used as temporary or permanent seating, has a side table folds out to ten inches, and comes with a cup holder. There is even a storage bag for keeping snacks, drinks, cosmetics, mobile phones, and other stuff. There is a one-year warranty with free replacement or refund for any quality issues. This video offers a more detailed explanation of the product.
- Constructed from 900D Oxford fabric for maximum comfort
- High-strength steel tube frame that can hold up to 300lb
- Foldable and retractable footrest to relax your feet comfortably
- Allows a bird’s eye view with 26-inch bar chair height
- Sturdy and easy to move around
- Bulky and heavy to carry
- Takes more space
For a highly portable chair or short term sitting, the CoVibrant adjustable rolling stool can be your pick. Its height can be adjusted between 20in and 27in, making it suitable for even tall people. The height adjustment feature also allows your feet to touch the floor by bending the knees at 90°. It is a well-built structure with an SGS-certified gas cylinder that aids in adjusting the chair up or down smoothly. You may check this video for a better understanding of this product.
- Extra-large firm seat that supports even larger people
- Flexible backrest allows you to move back and forth
- Fits your body correctly and provides ample support
- Higher than most office chairs and salon stools
- White stitching on the seat cushion is a great accent
- 360° swivel that rotates around easily
- Chrome base that is sturdier and tough
- Easy to assemble
- Does not have armrests
- Some reviews say the backrest is a little wobbly
The Ever Advanced tall director’s chair is a comfortable folding artist chair that you may pick for outdoor activities. It has a lightweight frame that is foldable and easy to carry. The chair features a thick padded back, armrest, footrest, and a built-in cup holder. It comes with a one-year manufacturer warranty.
- Constructed from comfortable 600D polyester fabric
- Foldable; saves space and convenient to store
- Attached cup holder for storing water bottles and iced beverages
- Side table for keeping cosmetic brush, magazines, newspapers, mobile phones, etc.
- Extra-wide design with great sitting experience
- Withstands weight of 300lb
- Easy to sit in and get out
- Ideal for heavier individuals
- Foam padded armrest and steel footrest for comfort
- May not be comfortable for tall people
The E-Z UP Directors Chair is specially designed for comfort, stability, and durability. It compliments any E-Z UP instant shelter set-up and is made with best-practice manufacturing processes. The aluminum frame measures 48x12x7in. Available in standard and tall sizes, this could be one of the best chairs for artists.
- Sturdy chair with aluminum frame construction
- Padded armrest, back, and seat for increased comfort
- Made of durable black herringbone professional-grade fabric
- Supports a maximum weight of 225lb
- Foldable, and can be set-up quickly
- Comes with one year warranty
- Includes a protective carry bag that can be used for carrying the chair
- May be hard to open and close
- Seat is too high for short people
This could be one of the best chairs for makeup artists, as it comes with a convenient side table to store cosmetics, brushes, and more. It measures 20(W)x24(L)x45(H)in, and the seat height is 32in. This is a lightweight chair weighing around 12lb and can be easily moved from one room to another.
- Supports a maximum weight of 265lb
- Convenient side table and magazine holder
- Can be placed near the poolside, game room, and patio areas
- Sturdy aluminum frame
- Foldable for easy storage
- Comfortable back and armrests
- Suitable for tall people
- Maybe a bit wobbly
The Mefeir tall director, makeup artist chair could be an ideal work assistant for makeup artists and motion picture directors, actors, and staff. With a seat height of 31in, it allows you to sit at an elevated position for a full-field vision. It is constructed with Oxford fabric and opens up to a size of 19.2(W)x33.8(L)x45.6(H)in. The seat width is 23.6in and comfortable.
- High-strength aluminum tube frame provides durability and lasts long
- Supports weight up to 300lb
- Foldable footrest keeps your feet comfortably secure on the chair
- Retractable side table with a cup holder and storage bag for keeping snacks, drinks, and accessories
- Protective handle makes the side table easier to fold up to ten inches
- Foldable, flexible, and easy to transport
- Cushioned armrest allows you to relax completely
- Wider seat size and higher backrest makes it comfortable to sit on
- May create noise when you sit on it
A traditional wheeled stool with a touch of classic style; it makes for an ergonomic chair for artists. It features swivel function and a removable backrest for maximum versatility and comfort. You may use it for home, kitchen, massage, reiki, beauty parlors, hair salons, tattoo studios, guitar performance, photography needs, and more. The cushion is supportive and comfortable, which allows a maximum capacity of 350lb.
- Ergonomic contoured cushion helps you relieve stress from your back
- Comfortable and padded seat
- Waterproof leather bonded upholstery for easy maintenance and cleaning
- Sturdy aluminum base with nylon dual-wheel casters for easy movement
- Hydraulic stool can be adjusted between 20.5in and 28.5in
- Suitable for users of different heights
- SGS-certified gas lift cylinder for easy height adjustment
- Comes with a one-year warranty and free replacement for any quality issue
- Assembly may be a bit difficult
- Plastic wheels do not move smoothly on carpet
This chair is a great choice for artists, as it is strong and rigid. The solid steel frame construction can handle pressure, impact, and also the unpleasant cold weather. It is built tall to offer a better vantage to the artists, so they can work their magic with ease.
- 1200D Oxford fabric is firm and gives a good feel
- Double white-stitched for added toughness and resilience
- Designed to handle weights up to 300lb
- Full back seat support
- Built-in swivel table for a makeshift desk on the spot
- Side table for additional space and storage
- Compact and portable
- Paint may chip away easily
- Side table may be wobbly
How To Choose The Right Chair for Artists?
You should look for the following features to purchase the best chair for artists.
- Type of seat: The amount of comfort a seat provides is an essential factor to consider. If you have to sit for a longer duration, then find a seat with a backrest, proper cushioning, and armrests. If you work for a limited time, a drafting stool can work.
- Back support: This is essential to improve your posture when sitting for long periods. Some are high-backed, while some have low backrests. Pick according to your requirement.
- Swiveling and wheels: Purchase a chair that can swivel easily, especially if you have multiple tables that you need to move to while working. If the work areas are separated by distance, consider wheels as they make it convenient to move the chair.
- Armrests: Look for the chairs with adjustable armrests. High armrests raise the shoulders and may cause pain over time, especially if you work for long periods.
- Adjustment options: Consider a chair with adjustment options for the headrest, footrest, and armrests for relaxation.
Why Trust MomJunction?
It is imperative to have a comfortable and long-lasting chair to provide you with the necessary support when practicing your art. In this article, Sakshi John, our product writer experienced in writing about furniture and kitchen appliances, brings you a list of the best chairs for artists that might be useful to you. She has put together this list after researching several e-commerce websites and keeping your needs in mind.
Artists end up spending a significant part of the day working on their projects. So, they need the right chair to feel comfortable and maintain the right posture while they’re at their next masterpiece. When buying a chair designed for artists, make sure that it offers good back support, adjustable height, and heavy-duty construction for optimal comfort. The seat should be cushiony enough to help you sit for long hours. Finally, choose a swiveling chair for easy movement while working and check the wheels to ensure safety.
- Best Guitar Chairs And Stools
- Best Kids’ Art Tables
- Best Nursery Rocking Chairs
- Best Chair Mats For Hardwood Floors