Your baby’s first birthday bears a special significance. To help you make it a memorable one, we have some unique ideas for 1st birthday cakes. You may have a lot on your plate. From the decorations to the foods, first birthdays need to be grand in every manner. It should be one of those occasions that everybody talks about in amazement, especially your little one, when they look back at the pictures. So with this post, you have one less thing to worry about—the cake. We have put together a collection of cakes for both boys and girls, divided into different categories for you to choose from.
First Birthday Cakes For Boys
It’s very common to choose a blue-colored cake for a baby boy. But you could customize your cake according to the birthday theme or pick a design based on your child’s favorite cartoon character or superhero. Here, we have some ideas:
1. Drums birthday cake: Little boys love drums! This simple one-tier cake with a zig-zag fondant around it is simply charming. Top it with up two mega-sized lollipops or fondant sticks and you have a perfect first birthday cake for your little man.
2. Blue ombre cake: Ombre cakes are cakes or ruffles that have a darker color at the bottom, which graduates to white as it moves to the top, thus resulting in a striking look. You can choose your child’s favorite color, and design the cake with those shades.
3. Chevron and mustache cake: This is a typical boys’ cake. This two tier cake can have the horizontal zig-zag on the first tier and vertical stripes on the top tier, with a bow in the center and mustache on the top.
4. Mickey Mouse cake: The good old Mickey Mouse is a safe bet for first birthdays. Go for this three-tiered cake with red fondant on the first tier and white on the second tier and top it with a black fondant and mouse ears over that.
5. Spiderman cake: Simple and easy to make! All you need is a one-tier cake with red spiderman shape on the top and black icing for the mask and spider web. If you want a perfect Spiderman cake, then go for a three-tier cake with a red base and the spider web, a blue second layer with black buildings made of fondant, and a squared third layer that looks like a skyscraper. A Spiderman topper, spinning the web, completes this masterpiece.
6. Angry Birds cake: The most famous theme for birthday parties is the Angry Birds. You can go for a single tiered cake with chocolate background and green fondant on top, along with the birds, slingshot, and pigs.
But what if you have to plan a birthday party for a girl? Well, we have that covered too.
First Birthday Cakes For Girls
Cake ideas for girls are aplenty. Birthday cakes for girls can come in the different shapes such as Barbie’s dress, Rapunzel and her hair, tiaras, shoes, and many more. Here are some such cake ideas for you:
7. Princess cake: It’s been a year since your princess has entered your life. This is the perfect opportunity to tell her how precious she is for you. Create the royal magic with a princess cake full of pink and purple fondant colors.
8. Babydoll cake: A doll is every girl’s best friend. A doll cake is elegant, charming and cute at the same time. Layers of cake are stacked and carved into a bell to form the doll’s swaying dress. They are then frosted and covered in fondant to complete the doll’s dress. A real keepsake doll is then inserted in the center to complete the look.
9. Minnie mouse cake: Who doesn’t love the adorable little talking mouse? Plan a Minnie Mouse clubhouse idea theme and a cake to go with it. A red or pink cake with black Minnie Mouse silhouettes and pink bows is a great option. The cake is simple and can be made-to-order at local bakeries as well.
10. Tiara cakes: Your little girl’s head might be a tad undeveloped to hold a tiara; instead you can have an edible tiara on her cake. Edible tiaras are made with gum paste, a material that hardens upon drying, giving your tiara a realistic look. Adding metallic silver to it makes it all the more real.
Isomalt can be used to add colorful gems and diamonds to adorn the tiara. Use the tiara as a topper for a cake, complete with flourishes or drapes to make your girl’s first birthday akin to a royal gala.
11. Castle cakes: If you have a baby girl, there is no better way than to celebrate her first birthday than having a castle themed cake. You can customize the cake as per your requirements. The castle cake is usually complete with all the little towers and minarets, flowing trellises and a princess figurine to go with it. You can have the minarets in gold to add some dazzle to the cake. All in all, a dreamy first birthday cake for your little princess or even your prince charming.
If you are particular about what your baby eats and want them to have only healthy stuff, then read on as we give you some options in that.
Healthy First Birthday Cakes
A yummy cake doesn’t have to be loaded with sugar and butter. You can go for a healthy cake that is just as yummy as your regular ones. Here are some ideas for healthy first birthday cakes:
12. Healthy chocolate cake: No, this is not your regular chocolate cake. It’s a healthier version that has Greek yogurt, honey, strawberries, chocolate chips, and unsweetened cocoa powder. This can be the best way to introduce your one-year-old to healthy food habits.
13. Carrot, coconut and date cake: This recipe substitutes sugar with dates, honey, and grated coconut. You can go for medium sized round cake; your little one will enjoy the carrot flavor and sweetness of honey and dates.
14. Smash cake: Smash cakes are tiny or mid-size cakes made for babies. Your baby can just smash the cake with her hand or even dig her face into it if she wishes. Only natural ingredients such as maple syrup and bananas are used in this cake, with soft frosting such as whipped cream or buttercream on the top. This makes it easy for a baby to smash it with her little fingers so that you can make some sweet memories.
15. Cinnamon cake: Cinnamon gives this first birthday cake that irresistible flavor. You can make it a tad healthier by adding bananas and honey to get natural sweetness. Layer it up with apples or your baby’s favorite fruit.
16. Egg and dairy free cake: If your baby is allergic to eggs or dairy, go for this homemade cake made with almond curd and vegetable oil. You can top it with banana slices, kiwis, and coconut flakes or any other fruit that your baby likes.
17. Honey oats cake: This cake is naturally sweetened with honey and balanced with oats. It is moist and super healthy. You can top it with flavored yogurt and fresh fruits or berries.
The first birthday is special; so why not make it memorable with a unique cake?
Unique First Birthday Cake Ideas
Make your guests say, “Wow! We’ve never seen a cake like this!” with these unique cake ideas:
18. Transportation cake: Your baby most likely has his favorite vehicle, car, airplane, truck or train. You can make the base in blue fondant with a truck in the center of the cake. Go for mini cars as toppers and his name in the center.
19. Nautical cake: A nautical, striped cake with pirates and a ship can gather all the kids to the cake table in no time and make them drool over it. You can have the base with a thin layer of blue and white on the top. The ship with ‘1’ on it can be the cake topper. Have your baby’s name written on the side walls of the cake along with a ship wheel fondant on it.
20. Block cakes: This will probably be one of the best first birthday cakes your baby can have. If your baby has a soft alphabet block toy, and he/she recognizes the shape of the letters, get them an alphabet block cake. Looking at it, your baby just might squeal in delight.
21. Lego cake: Your little one will certainly have a Lego set in their collection of toys. Now you can take their fondness for the toys to the next level with a Lego cake. A one-tier cake with small Lego fondants of all colors adorning the cake on the top and sides with a baby Lego piece in the center makes this cake a hit.
22. Barnyard cake: The barnyard theme is popular with kids. It is made of layers of cake, stacked and covered with red fondant. Chocolate or white fondant is used to make the roof and the windows. Add a few domestic animals such as cows, goats, ducks and hens around the barn and you have a barn cake ready for your baby’s birthday.
Need a few more creative ideas for the cake? Read on.
Creative First Birthday Cake Ideas
Unleash your creativity and let your ideas flow into the cake. And just in case you are running out of ideas, we have some right here for you:
23. Baby-in-a-bathtub Cake: Most babies love their bath time and instantly connect with a bathtub cake. Add your baby’s favorite toys as edible toppers on the bathtub cake and watch them dive right into it with glee.
24. Carousel cakes: Another thing that reminds people of their childhood is a carousel. Colorful tents with toy horses moving around the center, sitting on the horses and feeling the wind through your hair, waving frantically to your parents – a carousel cake reminds you of that and much more. This cake is made of two cakes, one that forms the base and the other which forms the tent top. Dowels, which are used to support the top layer, are also the support for the edible horses, which adorn the carousel cake.
25. Gravity-defying cake: Gravity-defying or topsy-turvy cakes look like they are precariously positioned and about to topple over. However, they are made in line with the principles of physics and are built in a way that they balance out each other. A fun topsy-turvy cake idea for a first birthday would be a teapot cake.
26. Winter candy cake: If you have a winter born baby, then go for a cake with Christmas tree, candy cane, and snowflakes. It’s just right for the first birthday, and you can also introduce the festive season to your baby.
27. Number cake: Number cakes are always in demand. You can make fun and easy, numbercakes at home, on your own. All you need are a few cakes, which are cut and assembled in a way to resemble the number ‘1’. Cover them with buttercream frosting, or whipped cream to conceal any imperfections and make the perfect little homemade cake for your little angel.
28. Berry surprise cake: The chocolate cake is topped with fresh berries. You can have one variety of berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry) in each circle on top of the cake. If possible, you can cut any non-juicy fruit in the shape of ‘1’ and place it in the center.
29. Rainbow ruffle cake: Your kid’s first birthday cake couldn’t get any cuter than this. This cake has seven layers of ruffle topped with ‘1’ fondant, making it simple, colorful, and beautiful.
30. Superhero cake: You can pick Superman, Ironman, Spiderman or Captain America. Your choices are aplenty, so go with your child’s favorite hero and decorate the cake accordingly.
31. Family cake: Celebrate your family with this cake. It includes fondants of mom, dad, and the baby – the main members of the family. You can have a fondant couch with mum, dad, baby, and siblings sitting on the couch and the baby holding ‘1’ fondant. Have the name of the baby in the center.
32. Seasonal cake: Celebrate the season in which your baby was born. If it’s spring, you can have colorful flowers and lots of fresh fruits on your cake. Winter could mean a Christmas themed cake, white frosting cake and summer cakes could be yellow with sand and beaches.
33. Football themed cake: Your little one is too small to play a sport but we are sure throwing a ball is one of their favorite games. This football cake can delight them to no end. Go for a three-tier cake with white as the base, blue in the middle tier, and green on the third tier. Place a football fondant on the top of the cake to finish it.
34. Twinkle twinkle little star cake: Is ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’ the nursery rhyme your little one enjoys listening to?, Celebrate the infant’s birthday with this rhyme and a two-tier blue cake with star fondants embellished on it. Top it with a baby picture and dowels sticking out stars.
If your baby loves dogs, cats, rabbits or just about any animal, then you shouldn’t miss reflecting that love on their first birthday cake.
Animal Theme Cakes
Let the lions, doggies, cats, and giraffes come out for your baby’s first birthday party. This animal fondants will make your cake lovely.
35. Grey elephant cake: One of the popular animals among kids is the elephant. Go for this simple two-tiered brown cake topped with a gray elephant.
36. Owl cake: An owl cake is easy to make at home. You can either go for a cake that is ‘owl-shaped’ or have a two-tiered cake with an ‘owl-shaped’ fondant on the top tier. The owl fondant need not be in brown; you can pick a color of your choice.
37. Caterpillar cake: If your baby loves the classic ‘Hungry Caterpillar’ story, then we think you should have a cake shaped like a caterpillar who ate everything till it could eat no more. To make the cake more appealing, place a big apple (half-bitten) fondant in front of the caterpillar, to show its insatiable hunger.
38. Safari theme cake: This is a simple two-tier round cake with a bunch of jungle animals on the first layer and a monkey holding ‘1’ on the second tier. Alternatively, you can just go for a single big slab of cake with edible animal toppers.
39. Reptiles cake: This can go well if you have a reptile-themed party. It’s going to be one wild birthday party. You can use bundt cakes for the reptile shape and fruit roll-ups for the tongue and Smarties or M&Ms for eyes.
However creative or interesting your first birthday cake might be, it is not complete without a great topping.
First Birthday Cake Toppers
Birthday cake toppers enhance the cake and make it appealing and attractive. You could pick your child’s favorite cartoon character or toy for a topper. You can go for either edible or plastic topper. Here are some cake topper ideas for you:
Name banner: This topper reveals the name of the birthday baby, and if your cake is big enough you can have the ‘Happy Birthday’ banner too. You can also choose the word ‘one,’ as it is the first birthday.
Number topper: Fondant in the shape of number ‘1’ – you can go for ruffles or ombre for the topper.
Princess cake topper: This topper goes well with the princess cake. A beautiful crown on top of the cake is all you need to complete the princess cake.
Icing happy birthday and stars cake topper: An edible cake topper, which is simple and beautiful and easy to slip into the cake.
Baby with a bottle/pacifier: A baby with a bottle/pacifier in her mouth sitting on a base can be an appropriate topper for the first birthday. Choose pink or blue color depending on your baby’s gender.
Farm animal toppers: You can have a pack of all farm animals: sheep, horses, cows, pigs, and goats. Just stick them in a circle, with one in the center.
Gray & blue elephant topper: This edible gray and blue fondant icing topper goes well with both blue elephant or any animal themed cake.
First birthdays are very special. Therefore, choosing the right cake is of paramount importance to make this event memorable and fun. Your baby may identify colors, characters, and certain shapes. So while selecting 1st birthday cakes, consider these features and pick the best one. You may go for the classic jungle theme or the superhero cake. If you want to be distinctive, you may also try picking a family cake with pictures of everyone. Ensure you pick the right flavor before finalizing the cake for your little one’s party.
- Amelia Simmons Adds a Uniquely American Flavor to Cooking; Connecticut History