Do you love watching your baby sleep like an angel? Are you waking up worried to find your baby drenched in sweat in the middle of the night? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea! A baby sweating while sleeping can be a cause of distraught for parents.
New parents hit the panic button when they notice the slightest signs of discomfort in their babies. Do you want to know whether night sweats in babies is normal or not? Read this post to know all about night sweats in babies so that you can rest your worries and sleep peacefully!
What Are Night Sweats?
Night sweats refer to excessive sweating or perspiration by children particularly during the night. (1)
Common Causes Of Baby Sweating While Sleeping:
Some of the most common health conditions that could make your baby sweats while sleeping at night include the following:
Congenital Heart Disease: Babies who suffer from a congenital heart disease may sweat too much, particularly during the night. Babies with congenital heart disease may excessively sweat while eating and playing as well. The condition affects one in one hundred twenty-five newborns. It occurs due to a defective development of the heart in the fetus.
Sleep Apnea: Sleep apnea is another common cause of night sweats in babies. The condition makes the baby pause for at least 20 seconds while breathing. Hence, the infant’s body has to work excessively hard to breathe. Sleep apnea commonly affects premature babies. If your baby suffers from sleep apnea, he may also display other symptoms like bluish skin tone and wheezing along with night sweats.
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome: The other name for the condition is SIDS. It causes ‘overheating’ of the body at night, which makes the baby fall into a deeper sleep. It will make waking up difficult for the baby.
Hyperhidrosis: If your baby is in a cool room and is still perspiring, he may be suffering from hyperhidrosis. A sweaty head, hands, and feet characterize this condition. It is not a serious health issue. You can easily deal with it by taking basic steps for sweat management.
Tips To Deal With Night Sweats In Babies:
Following some simple steps can help you deal with baby sweating at night :
1. Keep The Room Temperature In Check:
The best way to deal with your baby’s night sweats is to keep the temperature of the room cool. The basic idea to keep in mind is that if you are feeling hot, your baby is probably feeling hot too. So clear the unnecessary blankets and wraps from the baby’s crib to help him sleep comfortably.
2. Hydrate Your Baby:
Make sure you hydrate your baby properly before putting him to bed every night to make up for the loss of fluids that could happen while sweating.
3. Dress Him Properly:
Dress up your baby in comfortable night clothing. A light sleeping gown in soft, breathable material should be the most comfortable attire at bedtime for your baby.
Points To Ponder:
- If your baby still sweats at night in spite of you trying the above measures, you may want to seek a pediatrician’s opinion. He can diagnose the cause of night sweats in your baby correctly and advise an apt treatment for the condition.
- If your baby displays other signs and symptoms along with night sweating like rocking, head banging, teeth-grinding, snoring and snorting, he may be suffering from an underlying health condition. Seek an appointment with a pediatrician immediately to rule out any possible health risks.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Why Does Your Baby’s Head Sweat While Sleeping?
Sometimes, you may notice your baby’s head is sweatier than the rest of her body. One main reason is the presence of active sweat glands on the head. If the baby feels hot, she starts to sweat in her head. Also, babies do not toss and turn when they are sleeping, and this may be another reason for head sweats. The constant head position will produce more heat and cause sweat.
In case, you notice your baby’s head sweating profusely, and her skin and stools turning drier, it could indicate weak kidneys. You should immediately take her to a doctor.
We hope this article helped you understand about night sweats in babies.
Does your baby also suffer from night sweats? What treatment did the pediatrician suggest? Please share your experience and advice with us.
- Night Sweats In Toddlers- Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Congenital Heart Disease In Babies – 5 Causes & 7 Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of
- What Is Sleep Apnea In Children And How To Tackle It?
- 5 Best Baby Burp Cloths You Should Try Today
- 10 Best Swaddling Blankets For Your Baby
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015