Does your baby love playing in the water? Do they insist on spending more time in the bathtub?
If yes, you may want to consider taking them to a swimming pool or the beach in summer. But what if your baby is still dependent on diapers? Can they still go to the pool for playtime? Yes, of course, provided they have their swimming diapers on.
11 Best Swim Diapers
We divide the list into two sections: best disposable swim diapers and best reusable swim diapers.
Best disposable swim diapers
1. Pampers Splashers
These are good quality swim diapers from a well-known brand.
- There is reinforced elastic around the waist and thighs. The elastic offers a good grip and makes the diaper easy-to-adjust.
- The diaper is designed to provide the same fit when dry or wet.
- The tabs lie at the side, making it convenient to take off the diaper.
- The diaper is available in limited sizes that are most suited for older infants and not for young babies.
2. Huggies Little Swimmers
These disposable swim diapers are available in several sizes to fit babies of all ages.
- The tear-away tabs on the side allow for easy removal of the diaper while eliminating the risk of leakage.
- The sides of the diaper are stretchy, which allows for free movement in the water.
- A few parents found the diaper too small for the baby, despite picking the right size.
3. Babyganics Disposable Swim Pants
This swim diaper provides a fair amount of sun protection to the little one and is ideal for beach visits.
- The diaper has an ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) rating of 50+ and protects the covered area from sunlight.
- The diaper’s exterior design pattern changes color if the baby spends 30 minutes in direct sunlight. It helps warn the parents that the baby is getting prolonged sunlight exposure.
- The absorbent core of the diaper is made from sustainable materials.
- There are only three sizes. The age range for each size is too broad.
Best Reusable Swim Diapers
4. Nageuret Reusable Swim Diaper
It is probably the best cloth diaper that can be useful when the baby plays with water.
- The exterior of the diaper is made from polyester fabric, which is water resistant and breathable.
- The inside of the diaper has a mesh-like pattern, which makes it easy to clean the diaper.
- Multiple snaps shut the diaper securely and prevent leakage.
- You get a one-year, money-back guarantee from the diaper’s manufacturer.
- The snaps may seem tight. A few parents noticed that the diaper’s fitting is a bit tighter than usual.
5. Babygoal Reusable Swim Diaper
It is an easy-to-use and simple reusable diaper that gives you the confidence of taking your baby into a pool.
- The diaper is available in a single, universal size. According to the manufacturer, it can fit most children, right from newborns to kids aged up to two years.
- The diaper is available in 14 color options, which lets you pick a pattern that your baby or toddler loves the most.
- The diapers are free from any harmful chemicals, including phthalates and latex.
- Some parents were not satisfied with the fit of the diaper.
6. Bummis Swimmi Swim Cloth Diaper
This baby swim diaper is soft and comfortable, yet does not compromise on leakage prevention when used underwater.
- You can pick the diaper in multiple sizes ranging from baby to extra large.
- Inside the diaper is a nylon mesh that is easy to clean.
- Bands of Lycra line the edges of the diaper for easy and comfortable leg movement.
- The diaper closes with highly adjustable Velcro straps. It allows the diaper to grow as the baby grows older.
- The Velcro straps around the waist may come across as big and bulky for younger babies.
- A few parents noticed that the wet diaper tends to chafe the baby’s skin.
7. IPlay Snap Reusable Swimsuit Diaper
You will love this simple, reusable swim diaper that is designed for maximum leak protection.
- There is an elastic lining on the waist and around the thighs, which significantly minimizes the risk of leakage.
- The elastic allows free movement and makes it easy for the baby to move in the water.
- You can pick this reusable baby swim diaper in six sizes to fit kids in the age range of six months to two years.
- The diaper may not fit well if the baby’s size lies somewhere in between the given sizes. You can consider the larger size in such cases.
- A few parents felt that the snaps tend to loosen after some washes.
8. Thirsties Swim Diaper
If you want to take your newborn to the swimming pool or any other water body for an occasion, then you must consider this diaper for your little one.
- The diaper is available in newborn size; it is available for infants weighing as little as six pounds (2.72 kilograms).
- A mesh interior helps contain any mess and also makes the diaper easy to clean.
- The wing-shaped tabs offer great adjustability to the diaper.
- The diaper does not have a universal fit and comes with limited size options.
- All sizes are to suit infants of different ages and weight, so the diaper may not fit all babies or toddlers.
9. Storeofbaby Reusable Baby Diapers
The Storeofbaby’s swim diapers feature high adjustability, which lets you get one with the perfect fit for your baby.
- The snaps on the diaper are placed such that you can adjust the size of the diaper easily.
- The outer layer of polyester repels water while the inner layer of nylon helps hold any soiling within.
- The diaper is available in 28 color options so that you can get on that is to the liking of your baby or toddler.
- The diaper comes in a single, universal size that may not work for all babies. A few parents reported severe leaks quite likely due to the diaper being ill-fitting.
10. Wegreeco Swim Diapers
These reusable diapers from Wegreeco are comfortable and fit children of a broad age group.
- You can pick the diapers in a couple of sizes that together cover the age group of 0-3 years.
- The diaper ships in a pack of three so you always have a replacement handy when you need it.
- The inner mesh of the diaper is very soft and provides adequate comfort to the baby.
- A few parents noticed that the diaper tends to hold some amount of water.
11. Alvababy Swim Diapers
It is a reusable swim diaper with a simple design that parents can easily understand.
- The diaper opens up just like a standard non-swim disposable diaper would, making it easier for parents to handle it.
- Different rows of snaps let you adjust the waistline and thighs so that the baby gets a snug fit.
- The product comes with a one-year refund or replacement guarantee backed by the manufacturer.
- Some parents noted that the size of the diaper tends to come across as small or large even when the diaper is a universal size.
In the next section, we list down a few tips that help get the most out of a swim diaper.
What Are Swim Diapers?
These diapers are specially designed for use by a baby or a toddler while swimming. Swim diapers work like a standard diaper but feature extra reinforcing around the waist and thighs to prevent leakage. The diapers minimize the risk of urine draining into the pool and hold the stools too. Although not entirely leak proof, swim diapers do not absorb the pool water and are better at preventing accidents in a pool.
Swim diapers, like ordinary diapers, can be disposable or reusable.
Types Of Swim Diapers
Disposable swim diapers have attachment tabs on the sides instead of the front or back, giving the diaper a snug fit to prevents any leaks.
Reusable swim diapers are likely to have thicker padding than standard reusable diapers. These also have more snaps and Velcro to avoid any potential for leakage.
Interestingly, the variants of baby swim diapers are the same as a standard diaper. So why not use a regular diaper instead?
Can You Use Regular Diapers For Baby’s Swimming?
No. Standard baby diapers are not designed to withstand being submerged in water. A regular diaper, disposable or reusable, will absorb the water and expand. The bloated diaper can add extra weight and leak. One must also not forget that any leakage from a diaper can be a hygiene issue for other people using the pool. Hence, it is best to stick to swim diapers that prevent such accidents in the pool.
How To Pick The Right Swim Diaper For The Baby?
Consider the following three points when looking for a swim diaper for your baby:
- Ease of use: The diaper should be easy to put on and remove. It is an essential point to check since you are most likely to put the diaper in the changing room at the swimming pool and won’t have a dedicated space for changing the baby’s diaper.
- Comfort level: The swim diaper should not restrict the baby’s movements. The elastic around the thighs must not be too tight to prevent adequate limb movement.
- Durability: There is going to be a lot splashing around in the pool. The tabs or snaps should be strong enough to withstand the movement.
Tips For Using Swim Diapers
- Change before going to the pool: It is best to change the diaper when you reach the pool or the beach. It reduces the chances of the diaper becoming already soiled by the time the baby steps into the water.
- May not work for newborns: Newborns, especially breastfed ones, have a poop that is mostly watery in its consistency (1). Since swim diapers are best at holding solids, a newborn’s poop may leak. Therefore, if possible, avoid taking a newborn for a swim. Also, the recommended age for the baby to start swimming is six months, which is the time they have solids and thus will have firmer stools (2).
- Will not work with diarrhea: Infants with diarrhea should never visit pools even if they are wearing the best swim diapers. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns against taking children with diarrhea into the pools. It can cause hygiene concerns and the spread of diseases (3).
- Dispose or wash after use: Once you are done using a disposable swim diaper, throw it away even if it is not soiled. The diapers are not designed for reuse once they have been submerged in water. In the case of reusable diapers, wash them after use.
Swim diapers are a great help not just when your baby is going swimming but even when the baby wants to spend some time in the home pool. Picking the right size and checking the fit is all that is needed to let the baby enjoy splashing in water without you having to worry about any mess.
Have you tried baby swim diapers before? Do tell us in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.
2. Protect Children Around The Water; National Safety Council
3. Swim Diapers and Swim Pants U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention