If you are looking for a safe and comfortable place for your child to sleep, here’s our list of the best Moses baby baskets to help you choose the right one. These baskets allow you to carry your baby around safely and keep an eye on them when you are busy. They are cozy and secure, providing your child with optimal comfort for naps. Much smaller than a crib, these baskets take up little space, thereby saving your room space. However, choosing the right basket for your child may be confusing with various options available. So, take a look at the safe and effective products listed below to choose one that suits your child’s age and needs.
10 Best Moses Baby Baskets To Help Your Baby Sleep In 2022
1. Best Foldable: Lulyboo Baby Travel Lounge And Moses Basket
Here’s a simple bassinet-style basket with high portability. You can fold the basket and carry it on the shoulder as a backpack. The washable, waterproof cover protects the basket from dust when not in use, and the toy bar features two soft toys that can be removed individually or with the toy bar. Check out this review video showcasing a tester’s experience to learn more about the bassinet basket.
- Includes two extra pads
- Has a canopy
- Portable and travel-friendly
- Comfortable, breathable, and lightweight
- Easy to clean
- Waterproof base
- May not retain its original shape after wash
- May outgrow the baby quickly
2. Best Eco-Friendly: Iceblue Natural Beige Moses Basket
The long, wide, and spacious basket by Iceblue allows your little one to lie down comfortably. It can be trusted by moms and dads as it is made from natural cotton fabric and features large handles to hold or place the basket on the shoulder. The base of the basket is deep enough to keep the little one secure while you carry the basket around. It is ideal for babies aged up to three months or weighing 15lb.
- No installation required
- Soft and eco-friendly material
- Lightweight solution
- Smell- and chemical-free
- Portable design
- Might seem thin
- May be smaller than you expect
Cotton is said to be centuries old and is hypothesized to have originated from the Indian subcontinent with traces dating back 7,000 years to the Indus Valley Civilization.
3. Best Cover: Tadpoles Twisted Fur Moses Basket
The safe and effective basket is handmade using woven palm leaves and comes complete with a removable cotton cover and a blanket. The cover is washable, and you can remove the entire bedding and replace it with another if required. The handles are sturdy enough for you to hold the basket. This handmade product looks adorable and makes for a functional gift for newborns.
- Versatile use
- Made of natural materials
- Suitable for an afternoon nap
- Warm and cozy
- Comfortable handles
- Mattress may be thin
- Handles may not be durable
4. Best With Removable Hood: Badger Basket Moses Basket
Keep your little one cozy in the gingham patterned Badger Basket Moses Basket with Hood. The foam mattress offers good cushioning, and even the bumpers have polyester-filled pads for your baby’s comfort. Your little one will sleep tight inside the basket while you take them to work or to a relative’s place. The baby sleep basket comes in a rainbow of colors. Check out this product review video showcasing a tester’s experience to learn more about this comfortable basket.
- Durable built
- Soft, removable, and washable mattress fabric
- Thick cushioning
- Not suitable to carry your baby around in it
- Instructions for installation may not be clear
In general, Moses baskets are bassinet baby baskets that boast a woven pattern and are traditionally made with maize, wicker, or palm.
5. Best Handmade: Bebe Bask Moses Basket
Made of 100% natural organic seagrass, the tried-and-tested Bebe Bask Moses Basket is all your baby needs for a comfortable sleep. This hand-woven basket doubles as a changing pad and includes a cotton liner in the shape of a leaf, making it ideal for your baby’s milestone photo sessions. The changing mat is easy to carry on the go for convenient diaper changes.
- Waterproof and washing machine-safe bamboo jacquard cover
- Washing machine-safe cotton liner
- Extra-thick soothing bamboo pad
- Vegan leather changing mat included
- Suitable for your newborn’s sensitive skin
- Compliant with the federal CPSC regulations
- Basket may have a grassy smell
- Handle placement may be inconvenient
6. Best With Fleece Blanket: Cotton Tale Designs Moses Basket
The knitted basket has a timeless style and comes with a fleece sheet, blanket, and a mattress. The safe and effective basket has an inner cloth lining, a fleece blanket, and sheet, which can be removed for machine washing. The liner is secured around the handles, so it does not come out when you carry the basket.
- Lightweight and durable
- Classic design
- 100% cotton mattress
- Plush mattress
- Handles may not be long-lasting
- May not be sturdy enough
7. Best Elegant: Ecoade Moses Basket
The basket is made of natural fibers derived from the maize plant. The base is deep enough to keep the baby secure even when you are moving them around. A detachable hood helps shield the baby from sunlight. This natural fiber basket includes a mattress, sheet, and a removable liner. It also doubles as a gift basket for packing baby shower gifts.
- Adds a Boho touch to your space
- Made of handmade cotton rope
- Soft and lightweight
- Storage bag doubles as a grocery bag
- Easy to store and portable
- Cover might shrink upon washing
- Mattress is not waterproof
8. Best With Side Handles: J&JOO Baby Changing Basket
The J&JOO changing basket with waterproof built-in pad is the perfect solution for keeping your baby clean and comfortable during diaper changes. This heirloom-quality, tried-and-tested basket is waterproof, provides a mess-free diaper change, and offers ample storage space for all your baby’s essentials. The foldable design makes it a portable basket.
- Provides a comfortable and stable surface for changing
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Comes with side handles
- Compact and lightweight
- The built-in pad prevents leaks and messes
- Comes with additional pads and covers
- May be difficult to clean
- May get dirty easily
9. Best CPSC-Approved: Royal Rusu Changing Moses Basket
The Royal Rusu Changing Moses Basket is handmade using 100% organic cotton rope. It is sturdy and portable and does not feel stiff or rough. The stylish basket includes two washable and waterproof outer sheet covers made of organic bamboo terry. Your baby can also nap in the basket, thanks to the anti-flat head memory foam pillow. Made of a unique cottonflex technology, the safe and effective nursery basket is designed to provide enhanced comfort to your baby.
- Durable and flexible
- Features four handles
- Comes with a memory foam mattress
- Includes a washable and zipped inner cotton cover
- Sides may not be as firm
- May be slightly smaller than you expect
It is better to avoid placing toys inside the Moses basket along with the baby to ensure there’s enough room and space for the little one.
10. Best Knitted: Burton & Burton Natural Baby Moses Basket
The knitted basket by Burton & Burton features a high wall on one side to shade the baby from sunlight. This tried-and-tested Moses basket is lined with gingham cotton fabric, and you get an attached bumper lining, mattress, pillow, and a blanket. You can remove the lining and mattress from the cradle basket for machine wash, which makes maintenance easy.
- Soft and comfortable bedding
- Made of sturdy material
- Eco-friendly product
- Attractive design
- Detailed lace work
- Handles look flimsy
- Not ideal for carrying your baby around
As convenient and cute as it might look, baby basket will not be of much use since babies outgrow them by 6 to 8 months of age. So keep your budget in mind while deciding on the baby basket.
How To Choose The Right Moses Basket For Babies?
Purchasing a Moses basket is similar to buying a bassinet. You must consider the following criteria before picking a Moses basket.
- Height and weight limits: Your baby’s height and weight must be within the manufacturer-specified limits for the basket.
- Safety and portability: The basket should have safety features, such as a higher rim to prevent the baby from rolling and a firm base. It should also be portable, with a handle that makes it easy for an adult to carry.
- Design and colors: Explore the variety of designs and colors offered by the manufacturer and pick the one that suits your preferences the most.
Nicole Johnson, a pediatric sleep consultant, says, “Ensure the handles of the basket are long enough (the two handles should ideally meet in the middle) and offer a tight grip for ease of carrying and to prevent slips. Also, remember to place the basket on a flat surface.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
You want to give your little bundle of joy all the comfort you can. To help you out with this, Vibha Navarathna, our in-house writer and reviewer of baby products, has compiled a list of the best Moses baby baskets from trusted brands that will let you carry your baby around in comfort and style. She has compiled this list after going through various customer reviews and considering the safety and comfort of your child, without missing out on the durability factor. A buying guide has also been given to help you choose the right product.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are Moses baskets safe for newborns?
Moses baskets can be safe if they are made of strong, baby-friendly materials suited to hold the baby’s weight. Each basket will have a weight limit, and you must check if your baby’s weight is within that limit. Some parents may not prefer using Moses baskets, especially made of straw, because they find them flimsy (1). If you are not confident placing your baby in it, do not use it and instead get a basket that you sense is stronger and will bear your baby’s weight adequately.
2. Are Moses baskets SIDS approved?
Moses baskets with thin and firm padding are safe for babies to sleep in. They provide a cozy environment for the babies (2). However, to reduce the risk of SIDS, never place pillows, baby blankets, or other items that cover your baby’s face (3).
3. Are Moses’ baskets worth it?
Moses baskets are portable, occupy less storage space, and offer secure sleep for a baby. However, stop using Moses baskets when your little one outgrows or is trying to roll.
4. How long should a baby be in a Moses basket?
Your baby may sleep in a Moses basket from birth to three to four months. When your baby outgrows the baskets, you should move them to a cot or crib.
5. What is the difference between a Moses basket and a bassinet?
The key difference between a Moses basket and a bassinet is portability. Moses baskets are lighter and more portable compared to a bassinet. Unlike Moses baskets, typical bassinets are freestanding. Some bassinets also have wheels to move them smoothly.
A Moses baby basket is a portable sleep space suitable for babies up to four months of age. These baskets look adorable, but their use is limited to the first few months after birth. Thus, looking for a budget-friendly, sturdy, and durable option is practical. The list of the best Moses baby baskets above has products of different sizes, styles, and additional features, such as a removable cover, padded bumper lining, mattress, soft pillows, and blankets. Pick a baby-safe product that gives you the best value for money while providing ample space for babies to sleep peacefully.
Infographic: How To Keep Your Baby Safe In A Moses Basket?
While baby Moses baskets are designed for your baby to have safe and sound sleep, there are a few measures you can take to ensure the utmost safety of your child. Check out the following infographic for some vital safety tips for using a baby Moses basket.
- Florida Maternal Infant and Early Childhood Home Visiting Initiative.
- What you’ll need for your baby
- How to Keep Your Sleeping Baby Safe: AAP Policy Explained
- Best ‘Pack N Play’ Mattresses
- Best Toddler Bed Mattresses
- Homemade Gift Ideas For Baby Shower
- Best Nursery HampersBest Nursery Hampers