- Top 15 best bath toys for toddlers
- How to choose a bath toy for toddlers?
- What are some precautions to be taken when using bath toys for toddlers?
A splash of water here, a splatter there. Bathing packs an enjoyable time for toddlers and parents would love making it even more enjoyable with some add-ons such as toys. The good news is that there are a plethora of bath time toys for toddlers. But how would you choose an ideal bath toy? MomJunction helps you select the correct toy and also gives you a list of 15 best bath toys for toddlers.
15 Best Bath Toys For Toddlers
Here is a list for your little one:
- A bathtub basketball net that fits 98% of faucet types.
- The basket attaches to the faucet with straps, which keep it secure even when the baby tugs on it.
- The toy comes with three plastic balls that float in water. Your baby can pick them, throw into the basket, and the balls return to the tub.
- The plastic is specially made for constant water use. Does not contain BPA, phthalate, and lead.
- Easy to clean after use.
- Contains 26 letters and 10 numbers made from non-toxic, BPA-free foam material
- A great educational bath toy for toddlers learning numbers and alphabet
- Letters and numbers stick to the tub and the bathroom wall when wet
- Ships with a mesh bag to store the pieces, and the bag can be secured to the bathroom wall with two attached suction cups
- Brightly-coloured in primary and pastel colors
- One magnetic fishing rod and three plastic toys that float in water
- The rod’s string can be winded up while playing thus making it an excellent fishing bath toy for toddlers
- Fishing action helps develop better hand-eye coordination
- Rod specially shaped to fit in the tiny wet hands of the toddlers comfortably
- Air-tight fitting prevents the formation of molds inside the toys’ components
- Made from 100% BPA-free materials and contains non-toxic colors
- A wind-up bath toy for toddlers with swimming action without the need of batteries
- Cute, brightly-colored penguin shape made from BPA-free plastic
- Easy winding through toys’ arms/flippers. Release in water after winding and the toy swims on its own
- Toddlers will certainly find the swimming action exciting making it an excellent fun bath toy for toddlers
- Lightweight and easy to handle with wet hands
- A musical bath toy for toddlers that also doubles as a bath fountain, thanks to a battery-operated, inbuilt pump.
- Place the toy at the center of the tub. It draws the tub water and throws it out like a fountain through a central duck-shaped spout.
- Three toy ducks race around the spout and can be detached from the toy.
- Watching and picking a moving duck helps improve hand-eye coordination
- The toy also gives out various sound effects for added entertainment.
- There are a total of nine sound effects. Parents can turn off the sounds entirely by using the mute button
- Features three squirtable fish toys with a small toy boat to accommodate them
- Boat can be used as a water mug to bath the toddler or hold shampoo and soap
- The rubber fish are easy-to-squeeze for squirting even with toddler’s tiny hands
- The toy is made from easy-to-hold material and does not slip from the hand of the toddler
- Made from BPA-free plastic and is painted with non-toxic colors
- A boat-shaped bath toy that also works as a water mug. Built-in handle makes it easy to grip by the toddler and even by an adult
- Smooth edges with soft plastic make it safe for use with toddlers
- Lower half of the boat is detachable for easy cleaning
- Sturdy built ensures toy does not break even on heavy splashing in the water by the preschooler
- Non-toxic color paint used. Made from recycled plastic free of BPA, PVC, and phthalates
- An attractive, brightly-colored, interactive bath toy for toddlers shaped like a duck
- The toy duck features a hollow hat where you pour water. The duck opens mouth to gush out the water, which rotates a water wheel in the duck’s belly
- Water-driven movement, no batteries required
- Helps the toddler play with cause and effect during bath time
- Toy comes with two suction cups at the back to secure easily on a wall
- Non-toxic colors and plastic. No sharp edges and rough edges for safe play
- An electronic bubble bath toy for toddlers to keep the little one engaged during bath time
- Ten rotating bubble-making wands rotate to generate a continuous flow of bubbles
- A battery-operated motor can give up to eight hours of non-stop bubble output
- Suction cup at the back helps in support when placed on surfaces like the tub ledge
- Lightweight and made from non-toxic plastic with no sharp edges
- Shaped like the musical instrument bongo, and floats when placed in a tub of water
- The toy features a vast range of digital audio catalog including songs, letters, phrases, and greetings
- Each bongo drum lights up with a backlight that blinks
- Battery-operated. The toy holds batteries and electronic components in a water-tight slot
- Lightweight and easy to operate. Dries quickly after being submerged in water
- Dual purpose toy – works as a spout guard to protect toddler’s head and also a fun bath toy.
- Adorable hippo shape with a smooth surface. Made from BPA-free soft plastic
- The toy slides easily on any standard bathtub faucet
- Two-way water flow, with one flow from the hippo’s mouth and another from hippo’s nose, when the mouth is shut
- Can be detached from the faucet and used as a standard floating bath toy for toddlers.
- The cute and attractive design will surely keep the toddler busy in the tub while you give a wash
- Features a pull string that activates a propeller. Place the toy in a tub after pulling the string and it propels itself forward
- No batteries required. Works only on the pull-string mechanism
- Pulling action helps exercise motor skills while the movement of the toy helps understand cause and effect better
- Made from non-toxic, phthalate-free plastic with smooth edges all around
- A simple fun toy for your toddler’s bath time containing only four pieces – a whale-shaped sieve and small sea creature-shaped pieces
- The sea creature pieces float in the tub water. The whale jaw opens when gently pressed on the tail fin. Pieces are then scooped into the whale’s mouth, and the jaw closes
- Scooping action in water helps improve hand-eye coordination
- Holes at the bottom of the whale’s jaw create a mini hand-held water shower
- Fits easily in a toddler’s small hands
- Made from non-toxic plastic
- Three music-making boats that play a soft musical note when tapped at the top
- Each boat has a unique whistle sound that will undoubtedly leave the toddler intrigued
- Boats can be hooked to each to make a string of boats
- The top handle on each boat makes it easy for a toddler to grip the toy even with wet hands
- Brightly-painted with each boat painted in a different color
- Does not require batteries. Free of BPA, PVC, and phthalate
- The toy consists of two pieces – a dog figure and watercraft – both made with phthalate-free plastic
- The dog can be accommodated in the watercraft, or the toddler can play with it separately
- Watercraft makes engine and barking sound on contact with water. It is a nice way of exercising cause and effect skills
- A slight push to the watercraft makes it move float and move forward quickly
These toys are some great way to keep a toddler entertained during bath time, but parents must also observe some caution.
How To Choose A Bath Toy For Toddlers?
Bath toys for toddlers come in an array of designs, shapes, and sizes. Look out for these essential features:
- Free of harmful chemicals and colors: Select bath toys that are free of substances such as bisphenol A (BPA), phthalates, and toxic lead-based colors. Such chemicals dissolve in bath water, and the skin can absorb them easily. It can also be accidentally ingested by the toddler.
- Large enough to prevent swallowing: The toy should be small enough to fit in the tub but big enough to not fit in the preschooler’s mouth. Therefore, select toys that are large for your baby to prevent swallowing.
- Easy to grip: Things are going to be watery and slippery around the toddler’s tub. A toy that features a rubbery or textured surface makes it easier to hold with wet hands.
- Preferably bright-colored: It can be hard to spot a light-colored toy in a tub due to the water splashing around. A brightly-colored toy makes it easier for parents to pick it up before unclogging the sinkhole to drain the tub’s water.
- Easy to clean: A good bath toy should be easy to clean. Use soapy water, give it a rinse under running water, and dry it in air before storage.
What Are Some Precautions To Be Taken When Using Bath Toys For Toddlers?
Keep the following safety tips in your mind when bathing your toddler with a bath toy:
- Read the manual: Not all toys are meant to be played the same way, and some manufacturers may want you to take special care of their products. Read the manual or user guide provided with the toy. Check if there are limitations to the product and if there is a recommended method of playing. If there is no user manual, then check for usage instructions at the back panel of the toy’s packaging.
- Supervise your toddler’s toy usage: Experts recommend not leaving a toddler alone in a bath since they can drown even in a few inches of water (1). Also, you must also keep an eye on the toddler’s toy usage. Some toys feature battery operation and secure the cell in a slot. Manufacturers make it impossible for a toddler to access that section, but a curious toddler may still gnaw at the slot latch and damage it permanently. Battery operated toys also cannot bear the brunt of hitting and banging. So, show the toddler the correct way of using such toys.
- Wash and dry the toy after every use: Clean the toy with warm soapy water after every use or refer to any special maintenance instructions. After washing in soapy water, rinse the toy with clean water, wipe it dry with a tissue, and leave it to air dry. If the toy can be dismantled or unscrewed, then do so once a week to clean the insides and prevent the formation of molds and mildew.
- Secure battery slot cover tightly: Once you insert a battery, tightly secure the slot and double check if it is closed properly. A loose slot lid lets water trickle into the battery compartment and damages the electronic components.
- Discard the toy if it chips or breaks: If you notice the toy chipping, then you must throw it away and get a new one. Tiny bits of plastic may be hard to notice in splashing tub water and the toddler may accidentally ingest those bits.
Supervision and care are essential to ensure that your preschooler has a safe playtime during a bath. Bathing is fun but care is also essential. So, select the right toy according to your toddler’s personality. He can play with it ardently, while you scrub him squeaky clean!
Have more toys to share? Then, tell us about them in the comments section below.