Add some fun and excitement to your child’s bath time with our list of the best bath toys for toddlers. Made from child-friendly, durable materials, these toys come in various designs, colors, and sizes to suit your child’s interests. They can float on water and encourage your child to engage in imaginative playtime. You can join in on the fun while bathing your toddler, improving parent-child bonding. So, the options listed below include safety-tested and age-appropriate bath toys, so choose the one that suits your child’s interests the most.
15 Best Bath Toys For Toddlers In 2024
1. Best For Improving Motor Skills: 3 Bees & Me Bath Toy Basketball Hoop And Balls Set
This basketball hoop and balls set comes with a bathtub basketball net that fits 98% of faucet types. The basket attaches to the faucet with straps, which keep it secure even when the baby tugs on it. This ideal bath toy set for toddlers comes with three plastic balls that float in water and are safe to play with. Your baby can pick them, throw them into the basket, and the balls return to the tub.
- Made of plastic for constant water use
- Free of BPA, phthalate, and lead
- Easy to clean
- Mold-free balls
- Color of the balls may fade
"My son adores this fun bathtub toy. Although he's still learning to shoot balls through the hoop, it keeps him entertained throughout bath time. It is well-designed and can be installed without additional tools."
2. Best Sensory: BunMo Textured Bath Toys
The textured suction bath toys by BunMo are built for hours of sensory fun. Each toy has a unique texture, ranging from rocky wall and rope to snake skin and totem. As per reviews, the toys are travel-friendly and can be stuck on walls, windows, and other non-porous surfaces. These sensory bath toys for toddlers come in a pack of ten and help develop children’s fine motor and problem-solving skills.
- Comes with a mesh storage bag
- Mold-resistant material
- Made of BPA-free and food-grade silicone
- Might be smaller than expected
- Suction power might be insufficient
3. Best Fishing Bath Toy: Munchkin Fishin’ Bath Toy
This bath toy by Munchkin comes with one magnetic fishing rod and three plastic toys that float in water. The rod’s string can be wound up while playing, thus making it an excellent fishing bath toy for toddlers. It is made of 100% BPA-free materials and contains non-toxic colors. Watch this product testing video for a detailed review of this safe bath toy for toddlers.
- Fishing action helps develop better hand-eye coordination
- Rod specially shaped to fit in the tiny wet hands of the toddlers comfortably
- Air-tight fitting prevents the formation of molds inside the toys’ components
- Attractive figurines
- May contain tiny parts that can be a choking hazard
- Magnet may not be as powerful
"The fun and bright colors of this bathtime toy were quick to grab my toddler’s attention. Although the magnet and string are functional, they could have been designed better. All in all, the fishing set with underwater bobbers makes bathtime more enjoyable."
4. Best Swimming Bath Toy: Munchkin Wind Up Swimming Penguin Bath Toy
This penguin toy by Munchkin is a wind-up bath toy for toddlers with swimming action without the need for batteries. It offers easy winding through toys’ arms/flippers. Once released in water after winding, the toy swims on its own. Toddlers will certainly find the swimming action exciting, making it an excellent fun bath toy for toddlers. Watch a tester’s experience in this review video to learn more about the friendly sea animal toy.
- Cute, brightly-colored toy
- Made from BPA-free plastic
- Lightweight and easy to handle with wet hands
- Encourages imaginative play
- May develop mold
- Paint may peel off over time
"I find this bath toy quite practical. It does not require batteries, and with just a few rotations of the arms, the penguin toy takes laps in the bathtub and keeps my child captivated."
5. Best Musical Bath Toy: Yookidoo Musical Duck Race with Auto Fountain
This musical duck race with auto fountain by Yookidoo is an entertaining bath toy for toddlers that doubles as a bath fountain, thanks to a battery-operated, inbuilt pump. When you place the toy at the center of the tub, it draws the tub water and throws it out like a fountain through a central duck-shaped spout.
- Three toy ducks race around the spout
- Tiny detachable toys
- Watching and picking moving ducks helps improve hand-eye coordination
- Offers a total of nine sound effects for added entertainment
- Can turn off the sounds entirely by using the mute button
- Range of water might be a bit powerful
- Batteries may get wet
"All thanks to this charming toy, my child now looks forward to bathtime and loves watching the ducks spray water in different ways. However, ensure you do not overfill the tub, as it can make the ducks sail away from the little one."
6. Best BPA-Free: Marppy Basketball Hoop Bath Toy
The basketball hoop bath toy by Marppy includes four soft balls that are easy to grasp by a toddler’s tiny hands and a hoop with two strong suction cups that stick to flat surfaces. This waterproof toy is BPA-free and safe for toddlers, and the lack of nooks and holes in the ball keeps it from getting moldy.
- Helps improve motor skills
- Includes a mesh bag to dry the toys quickly
- Comes with an air pump
- Suitable for children aged three years and up
- Might be smaller than expected
- Balls might deflate on rough use
7. Best Bath Toy With Handle: Green Toys My First Tugboat
Are you looking for a bath toy that doubles as a bath mug? Here is the First Tugboat by Green toys is a boat-shaped bath toy that also works as a water mug. It comes with a built-in handle that makes it easy to grip. Its sturdy build ensures the toy does not break even on being exposed to heavy splashing in the water by the toddlers. Check out this product review video, where the user tests the toddler-friendly bath toy.
- Smooth edges and soft plastic make it safe for use with toddlers
- Lower half of the boat is detachable for easy cleaning
- Non-toxic paint-coated
- Made from recycled plastic free of BPA, PVC, and phthalates
- Can be hard to clean
"My toddler enjoys playing with this colorful boat. It is super sturdy and the perfect size for the bathtub. Although a bit difficult to clean, it keeps my child engaged throughout the bathtime. Hence, it gets the nod of approval from this dad."
8. Best Interactive Bath Toy: Funerica Interactive Large Yellow Duck Bath Toy
The duck bath toy by Funerica is an attractive, brightly-colored, interactive bath toy for toddlers. The toy duck features a hollow hat where you can pour water. The duck bath toy with water pouring features opens its mouth to gush out the water, which rotates a water wheel in the duck’s belly.
- Water-driven movement, no batteries required
- Promotes the understanding of cause and effect in toddlers
- Comes with two suction cups at the back to secure easily on a wall
- Non-toxic colors and plastic
- No sharp edges
- Water may leak at times
- May attract mold
"The bath toy boasts a sleek design. It comfortably fits into my hands and is easy to use. Although the battery life was shorter than expected, the bubbles it made and the joy it brought to my child made up for it."
9. Best Stackable: Little Bado Stacking Cups
The Little Bado stacking cups are the ideal fun toys your baby needs while bathing. These stackable bath toys for toddlers can teach your little one to build towers by stacking the colorful cups on top of one another. Each stackable cup has a cute crown and a funny expression to amuse little babies. Loved by many reviewers, these colorful bath toys for toddlers also double as fun sprinklers in water.
- Includes cups in various shapes, colors, and patterns
- Improve critical thinking and planning skills
- Resistant to falling and crashing
- Withstand rough handling
- May have pointy parts
- Toys may not float properly
"I purchased these for my son's birthday. He started playing with them in an instant. The toy has been a hit not only in the bathtub but also as a regular toy due to its stackable feature. Some may not like the crowns of the toys, but to my son, they were a cool touch."
10. Best Engaging: Inspiration Play Fill N’ Splash Submarine Bath Toy
The Fill N’ Splash Submarine bath toy offers hours of engaging, interactive, and educational delight. It comes with a submarine-like cup that shoots floating balls into the tub to make bathtime fun and entertaining. The bath toy is perfect for children up to five years old. In addition, this educational bath toy for toddlers remains mold-free and is easy to clean.
- Encourages independent play
- Helps develop hand-eye coordination
- Compact and durable
- Has a universally compatible suction
- Easy to operate
- Some might find the suction a tad strong
- Button may need to be handled with care
11. Best Floating Bath Toy: Nuby Hippo Spout Guard
A dual purpose toy, the trusted Nuby Hippo toy works as a spout guard to protect a toddler’s head while being a fun and exciting bath toy. The adorable hippo shape with a smooth surface is made from BPA-free soft plastic. This floating bath toy for toddlers has a two-way water flow, with water flowing from the hippo’s mouth and its nose when the mouth is shut.
- Slides easily on any standard bathtub faucet
- Can be detached from the faucet and used as a standard floating bath toy for toddlers
- Compatible with most faucets with diverters
- Available in two colors
- Might be difficult to attach and detach from the faucet
- Some may find the toy a bit hard
"Besides being fun to play with, this Hippo toy keeps my little one's head from bumping into the faucet. I encountered a small hiccup with the tub faucet fitting, but that was easy to resolve. My little one loves watching the water spray from the hippo's nostrils. It fills bathtime with a lot of laughter!”"
12. Best Toy For Teaching Cause And Effect: Skip Hop Zoo Bath Pull And Go Submarine
The Pull and Go submarines by Skip Hop have a cute and attractive design that will surely keep the toddler busy in the tub while you give them a wash. It features a pull string that activates its propeller. You can place the toddler bath toy in a tub and pull the string to watch it propel forward.
- No batteries required
- Pulling action helps exercise motor skills
- Movement of the toy helps understand cause and effect better
- Made from non-toxic, phthalate-free baby-safe plastic
- Has smooth edges all around
- Submarine may move at a very slow pace
- Pull-string might be short for some
"This monkey bath toy has won my child's heart. It soars across the tub and keeps him giggling. Plus, it's a breeze to clean thanks to the efficient drainage holes."
13. Best For Hand-Eye Coordination: Boon Chomp Hungry Whale
A simple yet fun animal-themed bath toy for toddlers, it features four pieces – a whale-shaped sieve and small sea creature-shaped pieces. The sea creature pieces float in the tub water. The whale jaw opens when gently pressed on the tail fin. Pieces are then scooped into the whale’s mouth, and the jaw closes.
- Scooping action in water helps improve hand-eye coordination
- Holes at the bottom of the whale’s jaw create a mini hand-held water shower
- Fits easily in a toddler’s small hands
- Made from non-toxic, durable plastic
- Some might find it smaller than expected
14. Best Bright-Colored: Fun Little Toys Bath Boat Toys
Stimulate your little one’s senses during bathtime with the Fun Little Toys Bath Boats. It includes three pieces–a blue sailboat, a green speedboat, and a red fireboat. These water toys for toddlers are designed to offer visual and tactile stimulation and encourage imaginative play. Watch your baby get creative and engage in pretend-play with the three boats made of durable and thick ABS plastic.
- Made of food-grade material
- Vibrant colors
- Flat bottomed design
- Easy to grasp
- Easy to clean
- Boats may start to sink over time
- May have sharp edges
"I got these for my toddler's pool party. They're well crafted and rightly sized for little hands. Their snapping mechanism could be improved, but still, they offer lasting fun."
15. Best Battery-Powered Bath Toy: Skip Hop Zoo Bath Rev-Up Wave Rider
This rider by Skip Hop consists of two pieces – a dog figure and watercraft – both made with phthalate-free plastic. The dog can be accommodated in the watercraft, or the toddler can play with it separately. The watercraft makes engine and barking sounds on coming into contact with water.
- Made of ABS plastic
- Attractive and cute dog figure
- Watercraft floats and move forward quickly with slight push
- Well-crafted dog and vehicle
- Makes sounds only for several seconds
- Engine may be prone to catching water
How To Choose A Bath Toy For Toddlers?
Bath toys for toddlers come in an array of designs, shapes, and sizes. Look out for these essential features:
- Free of harmful chemicals and colors: Select bath toys that are free of substances such as bisphenol A (BPA), phthalates, and toxic lead-based colors. Such chemicals dissolve in bath water, and the skin can absorb them easily. It can also be accidentally ingested by the toddler.
- Large enough to prevent swallowing: The toy should be small enough to fit in the tub but big enough to not fit in the preschooler’s mouth. Therefore, select age-appropriate toys that are large for your baby to prevent swallowing.
- Easy to grip: Things are going to be watery and slippery around the toddler’s tub. A toy that features a rubbery or textured surface makes it easier to hold with wet hands.
- Preferably bright-colored: It can be hard to spot a light-colored toy in a tub due to the water splashing around. A brightly-colored toy makes it easier for parents to pick it up before unclogging the sink hole to drain the tub’s water.
- Easy to clean: A good bath toy should be easy to clean. Use soapy water, rinse under running water, and dry it in air before storage.
What Are Some Precautions To Be Taken When Using Bath Toys For Toddlers?
Keep the following safety tips in your mind when bathing your toddler with a bath toy:
- Read the manual: Not all types of bath toys are meant to be played the same way, and some manufacturers may want you to take special care of their products. Read the manual or user guide provided with the toy. Check if there are limitations to the product and if there is a recommended method of playing. If there is no user manual, then check for usage instructions at the back panel of the toy’s packaging.
- Supervise your toddler’s toy usage: Experts recommend not leaving a toddler alone in a bath since they can drown even in a few inches of water (1). Also, you must also keep an eye on the toddler’s toy usage. Some toys feature battery operation and secure the cell in a slot. Manufacturers make it impossible for a toddler to access that section, but a curious toddler may still gnaw at the slot latch and damage it permanently. Battery operated toys also cannot bear the brunt of hitting and banging. So, show the toddler the correct way of using such toys.
- Wash and dry the toy after every use: Clean the toy with warm soapy water after every use or refer to any special maintenance instructions. After washing in soapy water, rinse the toy with clean water, wipe it dry with a tissue, and leave it to air dry. If the toy can be dismantled or unscrewed, then do so once a week to clean the insides and prevent the formation of molds and mildew.
- Secure battery slot cover tightly: Once you insert a battery, tightly secure the slot and double check if it is closed properly. A loose slot lid lets water trickle into the battery compartment and damages the electronic components.
- Discard the toy if it chips or breaks: If you notice the toy chipping, then you must throw it away and get a new one. Tiny bits of plastic may be hard to notice in splashing tub water and the toddler may accidentally ingest those bits.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does my baby need bath toys?
Bath toys can help your little one enjoy bath time and overcome the fear of water and bathing. However, avoid bath toys that can build up mold.
Heather Welch, a mommy influencer, educator, and play advocate, says, “Bathtime supplemented by bath toys can be a learning experience for toddlers. From watching the toys float and sink to becoming familiar with the alphabet and numbers, you can engage your toddler in learning through play.”
2. How often should I clean bath toys?
Clean the bath toys once a week. Allow them to dry completely before the next use.
3. When should I replace bath toys?
Replace the bath toys whenever you notice mold. Mold may grow within 24 to 48 hours after use. So, allow the toys to dry before use.
4. Are bath toys safe?
According to the AAP, young infants need no bath toys and can enjoy splashing water. However, bath toys may be helpful when babies are introduced to bathtubs (1). Bath toys made of non-toxic and BPA-free materials are safe.
5. What are bath toys made of?
Bath toys are generally made of rubber, plastic, and wood. Always choose toys that are free of harmful chemicals.
Why Trust MomJunction?
The author of this post, Priti Bose, has a remarkable prowess of presenting informative and well-researched content. She covers various topics and specialties for kids and selects the most popular and loved children’s toys. She has scoured through numerous trusted websites and user reviews to compile this list of the best bath toys that can add more fun to your child’s bathtime. Priti has compiled this comprehensive list after considering the safety, design, and other features. She also shares a few tips and precautions to note while choosing and including these toys for your child’s bath time.
Bath toys add a lot of fun and color to your baby’s bath time, and babies thoroughly enjoy being surrounded by squeaky floatable toys that they can play with. You may consider those toys that are colorful, visually appealing, easy to clean, and easy to hold. However, ensure that these toys are made of safe materials and do not contain small parts that may pose a choking hazard. Moreover, always supervise their bath time and read the user manual before giving the toy to your baby.
- Best Bathtub Toys For Babies
- Best Bath Toy Storage
- Best Baby Bath Sponges
- Best Water Toys For Toddlers