You might be looking for ways to help your kids use their creativity and channel their energy into something productive. Felt craft ideas for kids can help your little one create something fun and useful. Organizing DIY craft projects at home is an apt way to encourage your little ones to learn new skills and boost their creativity. Here are some handmade craft ideas that kindergarteners can consider trying out. Read on to get your child involved in some fun activities.
Top 10 Ideas For Felt Crafts For Kids
There are plenty of handmade felt craft ideas for toddlers and young kids. Here is a list of some exciting art projects that you and your kids will love:
1. Cute Pin-Cushion:
This is a simple felt craft for kids that you can try out.
- Take two pieces of felt, one in white and the other in a color of your choice.
- Take the first felt piece that you want as the primary one and cut out 2 round shapes and one strip.
- Stitch the round pieces together, leaving a slight gap. This will give it a pouch-like appearance.
- Stuff it with pieces of sponge and fabric. Stitch the opening to close it.
- Stitch the strip along the circumference to contain the stuffing and hold the two round pieces together.
- Now, cut the second felt piece, of a different color, into the shape of a flower, star, etc., and glue it to the top.
2. Beautiful Felt Butterflies:
The only thing you will need to do is to cut out the felt for your kid into the shape of butterflies.
- Get felt in different colors to make every butterfly look unique.
- After you have made cutouts for the wings and other parts, give your little one glue to create their adorable butterflies.
3. Colorful Felt Flowers:
This is another fantastic craft idea for your kids as it is easy and quick. You will need to cut out the flower shapes for your kids if they are still too young to handle scissors.
- Cut the pieces of felt into shapes of individual petals. The child may cut several petals of various sizes.
- Stick the petals in patterns that ultimately form a flower.
- Cut leaves from green-colored felt.
- Stick the flowers and leaves to another piece of felt so that you can frame the artwork.
- They can also stick them on the wall as decorations if they like.
4. Adorable Owl:
You and your kids can make an artwork of a felt owl in a cute retro style. You will need felt sheets in yellow, pink, green, and brown colors. You will also need small scraps of the material in black and white, canvas, and felt glue.
- Cut the felt into the required shapes with the help of a template and assemble them to create an owl.
- Attach the beak and eyes with the glue.
- Take a solid felt piece and glue it onto the canvas and attach your owl.
- You can use this to decorate a wall or use it on a throw pillow.
5. Felt Alphabets:
This is a fun way to decorate your kid’s room wall. You need two sheets of felt in your child’s favorite colors.
- Cut the felt to create alphabets to spell his or her name.
- Get a few lengths of ribbons so that the alphabets can be hung.
- Embellish the alphabets with buttons, bows, sequins, etc. to create an attractive educational toy.
6. Felt Landscape Artwork:
Start a craft project to make a landscape artwork that can be framed to decorate your kids’ room. Get felt pieces in different colors like green, brown, blue, white, red, pink, and yellow.
- Use a large piece in light blue for the base.
- Now start cutting up shapes for different parts of the scenery like the house, trees, flowers, mountains, river (optional), the sun, and other details that you would like to include in your artwork.
- Stick on all the elements of the landscape using felt glue.
7. Felt Corsages:
This is a felt craft project that is adorable, especially for little girls.
- Get felt pieces in different bright colors and cut them into different flower shapes.
- Cut smaller pieces as well to add a little detail to the corsages which you will love once they are done.
- Once you have glued the pieces together, glue or stitch on the buttons to the center of each flower and when the glue has completely dried, put pins at the back of the corsages so that they can be used as brooches or stitch a length of ribbon on so that they can be worn as bracelets.
- They are cute and fun and make adorable gifts for your little girl to give her BFFs!
8. Creative Felt Photo Album/Diary Cover:
This is an easy craft and kids of all ages will love it. You need felt, felt, glue and decorative pieces of your choice. You can get felt in multiple colors to try out different designs.
- Cover the album or diary in felt
- You can make stripes, polka dots, etc. with other colors.
- Add ribbons, buttons, sequins, or bows, and embellish it even more and you will have the cutest album/diary cover!
9. Felt Flower Rings:
This is a sweet craft idea for your little girl. Let her make felt finger rings using stiff felt material in bright colors, pipe cleaner, scissors, hole punch, and shank buttons.
- Cut the felt into flower shapes and make a hole in the center of each flower.
- Take a 4-inch long pipe cleaner and slide the shank button.
- Fold the pipe cleaner in half and thread its ends through the holes in the flowers.
- Now, spread the ends and wrap them on your finger.
- Lastly, to finish off the ring, get the ends twisted around each other.
- Your little girl can make lots of these to give to her friends and family!
10. Felt Coasters:
Let your kid create table coasters for your home. You need felt papers in different colors and felt glue.
- Cut circles out of the felt in different sizes.
- The larger piece will make the base while the other smaller ones can be used to create designs.
- You can try out two or three circles in matching colors or even try stripes and other patterns to make unique coasters for your home!
- It is simple and quick to make so kids of all ages will definitely love it!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are some benefits of making felt crafts for children?
Engaging in felt crafts can enhance children’s imagination and critical thinking skills. It can also foster creativity, patience, and resilience, all of which are crucial life skills for kids. Moreover, these activities promote self-assurance, making them valuable in building children’s confidence and self-esteem.
2. What are some safety considerations when working with felt crafts and children?
When making felt crafts, some protective measures to follow include never leaving children unsupervised, using only non-toxic paints, glues, and markers, using safety scissors with blunt edges, removing any materials that pose a choking hazard, and always keeping a first aid kit at hand.
3. What are some fun felt animal crafts for kids?
Innovative and interesting animal crafts for children include felt animal finger or hand puppets, felt animal pencil toppers, felt animal masks, felt animal keychains, felt stuffed animals, felt fishing game, felt animal bookmarks, and felt animal house decor.
4. What are some interesting historical or cultural uses of felt that kids can explore in their crafting?
Felt has been used since ancient times. According to a Sumerian legend, the great warrior, Urnamman of Lagash, discovered the process of making felt. Another legend says that two saints who were escaping persecution layered their sandals with wool to prevent blisters, which turned into felt because of the sweat and movement. Culturally, felt has been used to make hats, horse blankets, tents, cloaks, and boots.
5. How can kids use felt to create realistic-looking flowers or plants?
Children can take inspiration from real plants or flowers to create realistic-looking ones. First, children can pick felt with colors that closely resemble the inspiration. Then, you can help them trace and cut out the shapes that closely resemble their plant or flower. Now, children can sew or glue the felt pieces together.
There are many felt crafts ideas for kids that you may try as activities with your children. You may try them at home or school, helping bring out your child’s creative and artistic skills. Felt is a simple, easy-to-use material to work with, and your children will have a great time making all types of things, such as flowers, butterflies, landscape artwork, birds, and animal figures, for their friends and home. Encourage your children to try any of these simple crafts and let them have fun while creating their masterpieces.
Infographic: Creative Felt Craft Ideas For Children
Arts and crafts are the best way to keep children from the screen while promoting various creative and developmental skills. Felt crafts allow them to build 2D crafts using minimal supplies. So, check out our infographic on some easy and fascinating felt craft ideas to engage your children.
- Craft activities can enhance children’s creativity and help them develop new skills.
- Encouraging the use of various fabrics and accessories can help children learn how to create new combinations of designs and colors.
- Some felt craft ideas suitable for children of all ages include cute owls, vibrant felt flowers, and lovely felt butterflies.
- Crafts made by children can also be used as personalized return gifts for party guests.
Get your child’s creative juices flowing with these fun and creative craft ideas using felt. These felt craft ideas are sure to make your child’s break time interesting.