Are you contemplating weaning your little one soon? Are you planning to introduce vegetables and fruits in his diet? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea!
Introducing your child to a nutritious diet right from the beginning can help inculcate healthy food habits in him for life. Are you clueless whether your favorite fruit cranberry is safe for your baby or not? Fret not! Read on to know how cranberries can work wonders for your baby’s health!
Can Babies Have Cranberries?
Cranberry is acidic in nature, that’s the prime reason for not prescribing it as a baby food initially. It’s best to introduce cranberry for baby when he is 8-12 months old. Remember to start giving him cranberries slowly. Let him just take a bite or two of the fruit for a few days and watch out for any allergic reaction.
If your baby shows any sign of discomfort, stop feeding him cranberries right away. If he is fine, you can continue cranberry baby food as a healthy snack.
Benefits Of Cranberry: 
The luscious fruit offers many health benefits to your dear baby:
1. Boosts Immunity:
Cranberries are a storehouse of Vitamin C and Vitamin E. These antioxidants help eliminate free radicals from the body, improve immunity, and keep infections at bay! 
2. Aids Digestion:
Cranberries are a very good source of dietary fiber. Intake of fiber regulates the bowel movement and facilitates digestion. Eating cranberries can protect your little one from constipation and other forms of tummy trouble.
3. Prevents Heart Diseases:
The fact that cranberry is replete with antioxidants, phytonutrients and fiber makes it a super food for the heart. It helps lower blood pressure. It also helps protect blood vessels from oxidative stress-related damage. The fiber content of the fruit helps fight bad cholesterol. If you encourage your precious baby to munch on this fruit right from his childhood, you can protect him from developing potential cardiovascular complications later.
4. Reduces The Risk Of Cancer:
The yummy cranberry can also prevent colon, breast, prostate, and lung cancer. 
5. Protects Gums:
The anti-inflammatory properties of cranberry can help prevent periodontal diseases. It can help keep your baby’s gums strong and healthy.
How To Shop And Store Cranberries?
To pick the right cranberry, you need to test the color, texture and freshness of the fruit. It should be deep maroon in color. It should also have a smooth, spotless and dull skin. You can store cranberry in a refrigerator for almost ten months!
You can prepare cranberry for babies in different forms. They will definitely love to eat them.
Simple Cranberry Recipes For Babies:
1. Cranberry Puree:
You Will Need:
- Salt or Sugar
- Add cranberries and water in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the flame and let the mix simmer for 15 more minutes
- Continue cooking until the peel separates from the pulp.
- Let the puree cool down. Sieve it and add sugar or salt as per your baby’s preference.
[ Read: Is Papaya Good For Babies ]
2. Cranberry With Curd:
You Will Need:
- Cranberry puree
- Vanilla Essence
- Mix the puree and yogurt in a 2:1 ratio.
- Add a few drops of vanilla essence and serve.
Make sure you consult your doctor before introducing your darling baby to any new food.
Now you know all about the goodness of cranberries for babies and why it is a must-have for your precious baby.Can babies have cranberries, the tough question is answered here.Go ahead and spread the word!
Do you know more cranberry-based baby food recipes? Please share it with other moms here.
- Top 30 Healthy Foods For Your Baby
- Top 5 Organic Baby Food Brands
- Baby Food Chart: What And How To Feed Your Little One
Latest posts by Samiksha Seth (see all)
- 5 Indian Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy - September 15, 2016
- 9 Seasonal Allergies In Babies To Watch Out For - April 10, 2015
- 8 Vital Vitamins You Should Take While Conceiving - April 8, 2015
- Stuffy Nose or Nasal Congestion In Toddlers - 3 Causes, 6 Symptoms & 5 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - April 7, 2015
- 6 Essential Iron Rich Foods For Your Toddler - April 1, 2015
- Vegan Pregnancy Diet – Everything You Need To Know - March 31, 2015
- Kidney Reflux In Babies – Everything You Need To Know - March 31, 2015
- Breast Development During Puberty – Everything You Should Know! - March 31, 2015
- Food Poisoning In Babies - 7 Causes & 14 Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - March 31, 2015
- Eclampsia During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - March 27, 2015