Fish oil has gained quite a reputation as an excellent health supplement for adults, but what about the babies? Is it safe to introduce fish oil for babies? Are you wondering how fish oil can benefit your baby? If these questions are bothering you, then you must read our post.
The idea of introducing fish oil to your baby’s diet may sound too weird to you, but perhaps you should change your mind now. Fish oil will make a vital addition to your baby’s diet. Fish oil contains high levels of DHA that aid the cognitive, motor and visual development of infants during the first year after birth. Read on to know is fish oil for babies safe & how else fish oil can work wonders for your baby’s health.
Benefits Of Fish Oil For Babies:
1. Storehouse Of Nutrition:
Fish oil contains a powerhouse of nutrients to ensure that your baby’s development is optimum. It is a rich source of Vitamin A, Vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids, and DHA (1).
[ Read: Vitamin D For Babies ]
Most of the fish oil supplements are mercury-free. The manufacturers of fish oil use fish that are low in mercury. Some also distil the oil to remove the contaminants.
3. Aids The Functioning Of The Brain:
DHA in fish oil helps maintain the brain cells integrity and facilitates communication between the neurons. It also improves the concentration in babies (2).
4. Boosts Mood:
A regular consumption of fish oil supplements will keep your baby happy and smiling all day. So give him fish oil to put an end to your little one’s tantrums.
5. Improves Vision:
DHA present in fish oil can help improve the vision of infants. Since fish oil is rich in Vitamin A, it can safeguard your baby’s eye health.
[ Read: Fish Recipes For Babies ]
6. Strengthens Bones:
Fish oil also helps to make your baby’s bones strong as it is a rich source of Vitamin D. Omega-3 fatty acid plays a vital part in maintaining the bone mineral density.
7. Improves Immunity:
The high levels of fatty acids in the fish oil will also improve your baby’s immunity, protecting him from diseases like flu, cough and cold.
8. Prevents Eczema:
Babies are often victims of eczema, a common skin condition. To prevent and cure eczema in your baby, give him a daily dose of fish oil. Childhood eczema may be mild and result in small patches of dry skin. A severe case of eczema can cause the cracking and bleeding of the skin. The omega-3 fatty acids present in fish oil can help reduce the symptoms of eczema (3).
[ Read: When Can Babies Eat Shellfish ]
Fish Oil Supplements For Babies:
It is better if babies get their nutrients from food. But if your baby does not like eating fatty and oily fishes, then giving him a fish oil supplement daily can be a good idea. Do consult a pediatrician before buying a bottle of fish oil for your little one.
When Can I Give Fish Oil To My Baby?
The right time to introduce baby fish oil depends majorly on your family history of food allergies. If there is no history of food allergies in your family, then you can add fish oil to your baby after he crosses the six-month milestone. If food allergies run in your family, then it would be advisable to wait until your baby’s third birthday before adding fish oil to his diet.
Strictly follow the pediatrician’s advice on the dosage of fish oil required for your baby.
Food Allergy Concerns:
After introducing fish oil, watch out for signs of food allergy. We recommend you wait for at least four days before introducing another new food to your baby. Some signs of allergic reaction include:
- Swelling of the face, lips, and tongue
The allergic symptoms vary from baby to baby. If you notice mild symptoms, then contact your pediatrician right away. If your baby faces difficulty in breathing, then rush him to the hospital immediately.
[ Read: Apple Cider Vinegar For Babies ]
When To Avoid Fish Oil For Infants?
- Avoid giving fish oil if your baby has a bleeding disorder.
- Do not resort to the fish oil supplement if your baby is allergic to fish.
- Refrain from giving your baby fish oil supplements if he is on antiplatelet medicines.
Otherwise, fish oil is quite safe for babies to consume.
[ Read: Food Poisoning In Babies ]
How To Make My Baby Eat Fish Oil?
Getting your baby to swallow the supplements can be quite tricky. The smell and taste of the fish oil supplements can turn him off. So how can you get your baby to take fish oil? Here are some tips that you can follow:
- You can add the recommended amount of fish oil to his bottle of milk, smoothie or yogurt.
- Try to get hold of a fruit-flavored fish oil. You can mix the flavored fish oil to applesauce or any of your baby’s favorite treats.
- While cooking meals for your baby, use fish oil instead of olive oil or vegetable oil.
- You can also sprinkle fish oil over pureed veggies.
- You can also go for chewable fish oil supplements but first check with the doctor.
Now that you know about the goodness of fish oil for baby go ahead and spread the word!
Did you give fish oil to your baby? How did it benefit him? Please share your experience and advice with us.
Latest posts by Arshi (see all)
- 200 Most Attractive And Hot Guy Names That Women Love - August 23, 2017
- 50 Latest Mormon Baby Names For Boys And Girls With Meanings - May 19, 2017
- 15 Major Festivals Of India Your Kid Should Know - September 15, 2016
- 107 Festive Themed Christmas Baby Names For Boys And Girls - September 8, 2016
- 40 Valentine's Day Inspired Baby Names For Boys And Girls - May 31, 2016
- Top 25 Unicorn Coloring Pages For Toddlers - May 23, 2016
- 83 Popular Gender Neutral Or Unisex Baby Names - May 17, 2016
- 50 Terrific Baby Boy and Girl Names That Mean Angel - May 16, 2016
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Jaipur - May 16, 2016
- 15 Top And Best Schools In Surat City - May 12, 2016