Pregnancy is the time of food cravings and sweets are probably the foods that you crave the most. But, don’t you wish you could eat something healthier than that slab of chocolate. Don’t get me wrong, we love chocolate, but what if you could feed your sweet tooth without compromising on your health? Well, you can! Read our post and find out how.
The kiwifruit or the Chinese gooseberry is a juicy fruit with a pleasant taste. It contains no cholesterol and has very little sugar and fat. Apart from its delicious taste, kiwifruit also has many benefits for pregnant women. To understand benefits of kiwi fruit in pregnancy, consider reading our post.
Benefits Of Eating Kiwi Fruit During Pregnancy:
Kiwifruit is one of the most nutrient-dense fruits. It has twice the amount of vitamin C than a sweet lime of equal weight. Besides, kiwifruit is an excellent source of dietary fiber, Vitamin E, carbohydrates, energy, and other minerals. Here we list some health benefits of kiwi fruit during pregnancy:
Kiwifruit is rich in folate, which is the most critical nutrient for cell formation. Folate is integral to your unborn baby’s health and development. It stimulates cell production and maintenance, especially during pregnancy. Folate ensures the development of the vital organs. A sufficient amount of folate will prevent birth defects like spina bifida, a condition in which spinal cord does not develop completely. It will also prevent from miscarriage. The folic acid in kiwifruit benefits, not just the pregnant woman. It is also great for women who are looking to get pregnant.
2. Vitamin C:
Kiwifruits are excellent sources of vitamin C. They contain 140% of the recommended daily dosage of vitamin C. The high vitamin C levels of kiwifruit make it perfect for expecting mommies like you and your developing baby. Kiwifruits help form neurotransmitters, which are important for brain function. The Vitamin C in kiwifruit reduces post pregnancy stretch marks as well.
3. Natural Sugars:
A kiwifruit contains natural sugars that help control your cravings for sweets. With its low glycemic index, kiwifruit does not lead to an insulin spike. Regulating the blood sugar levels is quite important, as gestational diabetes during pregnancy is quite common.
[ Read: Jackfruit During Pregnancy ]
4. Promotes Digestion:
As an expecting mom, you know that constipation and hemorrhoids are quite normal during pregnancy. Kiwi is one of the best prebiotics around. Prebiotics contain enzymes, dietary fiber, and phenolic compounds. These nutrients feed the probiotic bacteria in the digestive system. Eating kiwifruit helps prevent constipation, diarrhea, gastritis, bloating and abdominal pain.
5. Strengthens The Immune System:
Kiwifruit is a rich source of antioxidants, which help protect your fetus’s RNA and DNA from damage. It combats the free radicals in your body and keeps illness and diseases at bay. It also protects the cells from oxidative stress.
6. Balances Hormones:
Hormonal fluctuation is quite common during pregnancy. One moment you are too emotional, and then suddenly, you become edgy. Depression, tiredness, and stress are not good for you as an expecting mom. Eat a serving of kiwifruit to keep these problems at bay.
[ Read: Pears During Pregnancy ]
To ensure you have a healthy and safe pregnancy, consume 2-3 kiwi fruits every day. If you suffer from heritable allergy, gastritis, or other digestive problems, avoid eating kiwi during pregnancy.
Recipe Ideas For Kiwis:
We usually prefer to eat the kiwifruit as it is, but a cook’s fantasy has no limit. Try and incorporate the fruit in salads, desserts, and other dishes. Here are some easy ideas on including kiwifruit in the diet.
- Add chopped kiwis to yogurt, salad or custard.
- If you want to juice your kiwi, add some to the blender and make a smoothie. Kiwifruits purees go well with grilled chicken or fish.
- You can also make jam out of kiwifruit.
[ Read: Eating Avocados During Pregnancy ]
A Word Of Caution:
Now that you know why you should eat kiwi and how to eat kiwi fruit during pregnancy, let’s look at some precautions to exercise:
- Wash the fruit well to remove any pathogens, and harmful chemicals present it.
- Remember, kiwifruits are highly acidic, so don’t eat too much or you may get mouth sores, tongue sores, and rashes.
Kiwifruits deserve a place in your everyday menu and not just pregnancy. But as with other new foods you introduce to your diet, consult your doctor before you eat kiwi fruit during pregnancy.
So, tell us how you liked the benefits of kiwi during pregnancy? Do you know any kiwifruit recipes? Share them with other expecting moms here. Leave a comment below.
- 9 Health Benefits Of Eating Plums During Pregnancy
- 8 Surprising Benefits Of Dates During Pregnancy
- 5 Health Benefits Of Eating Prunes During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Figs During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Arshi (see all)
- 200 Most Attractive And Hot Guy Names That Women Love - August 23, 2017
- 50 Latest Mormon Baby Names For Boys And Girls With Meanings - May 19, 2017
- 15 Major Festivals Of India Your Kid Should Know - September 15, 2016
- 107 Festive Themed Christmas Baby Names For Boys And Girls - September 8, 2016
- 40 Valentine's Day Inspired Baby Names For Boys And Girls - May 31, 2016
- Top 25 Unicorn Coloring Pages For Toddlers - May 23, 2016
- 83 Popular Gender Neutral Or Unisex Baby Names - May 17, 2016
- 50 Terrific Baby Names That Mean Angel For Boys And Girls - May 16, 2016
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Jaipur - May 16, 2016
- 15 Top And Best Schools In Surat City - May 12, 2016