Are you a nursing mom who wants to ensure that her baby gets clean and nutritious breast milk? Do you want to get rid of his bloating, irregular bowels, and gas? If you nodded along solemnly, you might want to consider drinking lemon water during breastfeeding. Read our post to learn is it safe to drink lemon water while breastfeeding and how lemon water can be beneficial for you and your little angel.
Lemon is an easily available citrus fruit. Lemon water contains about 5% of citric acid, which gives it a tangy taste. The healthy drink is a rich source of vitamin C, riboflavin, vitamin B, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, carbohydrates, and proteins. So drinking lemon water during breastfeeding is beneficial to both you and your baby.
Health Benefits Of Lemon Water While Breastfeeding:
Let’s look at why you need to include lemon water in your diet while breastfeeding:
1. Healthy Milk Supply:
Drinking lemon water during breastfeeding hydrates your body and keeps it fresh, which in turn ensures a healthy milk supply to your baby. So, nursing mothers should increase their daily water intake and include a good amount of lemon water in their daily diet. (1)
2. Prevents Digestive Issues In The Baby:
Lemon water is good for the digestive system, and drinking lemon water while nursing a baby prevents digestive issues in your baby. The healthy drink treats digestive problems, such as bloating, irregular bowels, gas, cramps, and other issues in your baby.
3. Clean Milk For The Baby:
Drinking lemon water promotes digestion, nutrient assimilation, and toxin elimination in your body. Lemon water prevents the entry of toxins in the milk supply. Thus, the healthy drink ensures your baby gets appropriate nutritious and clean milk. (2)
[ Read: Apple Juice While Breastfeeding ]
4. Relieves Sore Throat:
Lemon water provides a great relief to a nursing mother suffering from a sore throat. It effectively kills the throat infection and cures the sore throat. Mothers just need to gargle with lemon water to treat the infection. (3)
5. Lowers Blood Pressure:
At times, lactating mothers suffer from high blood pressure after the delivery. Lemon water is rich in potassium. Drinking lemon water helps lower your blood pressure when nursing your baby. Moreover, a regular intake of lemon water helps cure nausea and dizziness in the lactating mothers.
6. Strengthen Veins:
Moms typically suffer from varicose veins after they deliver a baby. Lemon juice is rich in rutin, a bioflavonoid, which strengthens your vein walls. Drinking the lemon juice also prevents the risk of a recurrence of varicose veins.
7. Improves Skin Texture:
Drinking lemon water after delivery can do wonders for you and your baby’s skin. Being rich in vitamin C, lemon water enhances the texture of the skin and makes it brighter. It helps remove blackheads.
8. Prevents Risk Of Breast Cancer:
Research and studies reveal that the white membrane and peel of lemon contains limonene, a chemical with anti-tumor properties. Drinking lemon water prevents the risk of breast cancer in nursing mothers due to the anti-tumor activity of limonene.
9. Purifies The Blood:
Lemon water acts as a blood purifier. Nursing mothers drink lemon water to purify the blood and keep it infection-free while breastfeeding their babies.
[ Read: How to Use Nipple Shield ]
A Word Of Caution:
Even though there are no side effects of drinking lemon water while breastfeeding, you need to be a bit cautious. Make sure you start with mixing juice of a quarter lemon in 12 ounces of water and then gradually increase the amount of lemon juice to ensure you or your baby suffer from no allergic reactions.
Did you drink lemon water while nursing your dear little angel? How did you and your baby benefit? Share your experience and knowledge with other nursing moms.
- Dehydration While Breastfeeding – 4 Causes, 7 Symptoms & 4 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Is Green Tea Safe While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe For A Breastfeeding Mom To Eat Honey?
- 5 Ways To Control Food Cravings While Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding Techniques – Everything You Need To Know
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016
- Top 10 Hockey Facts, Rules, And Safety Tips For Kids - May 13, 2016