There are numerous health benefits of milk for kids, including its high nutritional content. However, getting children to drink milk might be tiresome for some parents. You might have to run after your child with a glass of milk, or your child might come with all the excuses to avoid drinking milk.
While trying to introduce cow’s milk into your child’s daily diet, you may wonder whether your child should drink buffalo milk, goat milk, or a milk substitute such as soy milk.
Read on to know about the health benefits of various milk sources and how much your child should drink.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Milk For Kids?
Drinking milk has many benefits for your kids. Not only do they give your kids strong and healthy bones, but they also aid in your kids’ overall growth and development. Drinking milk every day will also help your kids maintain overall good health. Here are some milk benefits for kids:
1. Milk is rich in calcium
Milk is one of the best sources of calcium that your child can consume. Your little one can overcome complex bone ailments, such as osteoporosis by drinking a daily glass of milk.
- It keeps bones and teeth healthy and strong and prevents bone loss.
- It helps prevent childhood obesity.
- The recommended amount of daily calcium helps blood clotting
- Calcium is also important for the functioning of the brain and nervous system.
- It helps release hormones from your kid’s body.
- It helps to keep your child’s muscles strong kid’s muscles (1).
2. Vitamin D in fortified milk
Vitamin D helps your kid’s body absorb calcium from various sources.
- Fortified milk contains ample amounts of Vitamin D.
- It helps promote bone growth in your child
- Vitamin D can help to reduce inflammation. It helps boost your kid’s immune system.
- Vitamin D deficiencies can escalate to various conditions like osteoporosis in later years or rickets during childhood (2).
3. Healthy teeth
Milk is rich in calcium and phosphorus, which are crucial to children’s s dental health and tooth development.
- Calcium and phosphorus together help to maintain the health of your kid’s teeth.
- One of the most important proteins found in milk is casein. It helps to form a thin film on your kid’s teeth’s enamel surface and helps to prevent the loss of calcium and phosphate.
- Many dentists will recommend your kid should drink only milk in between meals, in addition to water. It is because drinking milk does not cause tooth decay (3).
4. Good for blood pressure levels
Drinking milk can help your kid’s blood pressure levels stay in check.
- According to studies, your kids should consume at least three servings of dairy each day along with a healthy and balanced diet (4).
- Consuming milk along with a low salt diet keeps your kid’s blood pressure levels in check (5).
5. Helps stay hydrated
Your kid should drink lots of fluids throughout the day to stay hydrated.
- Drinking milk is a great way for your kid to stay hydrated.
- It is especially important for your kid to rehydrate after a strenuous workout or any stressful physical activity.
6. Supplies essential minerals and vitamins
- Milk contains healthy vitamins and minerals, which keep your little one active, healthy, and strong.
- The vitamins and minerals present in milk are important for your kid’s eyesight.
- Carbohydrates present in milk supply adequate energy and protect your kid from feeling lethargic or tired.
- Milk provides protein, which helps your kid’s body repair itself and growth (1).
Nutritional Importance Of Milk For Kids
Here is a complete list of essential nutrients present in milk, which helps in improving your kid’s health conditions naturally:
It helps in building healthy bones and teeth in kids and developing the bone mass.
Protein serves as the best source of energy. It also helps in building and repairing your kid’s muscle tissues.
It helps in strengthening the bones, which helps in performing the daily tasks.
It helps in maintaining a healthy blood pressure level and reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
5. Vitamin D:
It helps in improving bone density.
6. Vitamin B12:
It helps in maintaining the healthy red blood cells and nerve tissue.
7. Vitamin A:
The nutrient improves your kid’s normal vision and skin health. It also helps to boost the immune system.
8. Riboflavin (Vitamin B2):
It helps in converting food into energy.
It helps in metabolizing the sugars and fatty acids in your kid’s body (2).
How Much Milk Should Your Kid Drink Regularly?
The amount (or glasses) of milk your kid should drink daily primarily depends on several factors like age, height and whether they are lactose intolerant. Here we discuss the appropriate quantity of milk that an average kid should consume on a regular basis:
Ages 1 to 2:
- Once your child is 12 months old,, you can introduce cow’s milk in her diet plan.
- Kids of the age group 1 and 2 years need a high-fat diet for healthy brain development.
Ages 2 to 8:
- Kids of the age group 2 to 3 years should drink at least 2 cups of milk every day.
- Kids of age group 4 to 8 years can consume 2.5 cups of milk or alternative milks per day.
Can You Substitute Milk With Other Dairy Products?
Milk and other dairy products, like cheese and yogurt, are rich sources of calcium, protein and vital nutrients that are necessary for your kid’s growth and brain development. If your child does not like to drink milk, you can include other calcium-rich dairy products in her diet. These include, cottage cheese, regular cheese, and yogurt.
Best Milk For Kids
Many parents think that their child should only drink cow’s milk. But there are different varieties of milk and dairy products available in the markets that are quite safe for kids.
Here is a complete list of different milk varieties, which your kid can consume safely:
- Organic cow’s milk
- Whole cow’s milk
- Low-fat cow’s milk
- Goat’s milk
- Almond milk
- Soy milk
- Evaporated milk
- Condensed milk
- Rice milk
- Coconut milk
- Pea protein milk
Fun Ways To Include Milk In Your Kid’s Diet
It can be difficult to get children to drink milk. If so, no o more worries. Try some of these tricks mentioned below to add milk to your kid’s diet:
1. Mask It Under A Different Flavor:
- Try out different flavors that you can add to your kid’s glass of milk. While chocolate may be a clear winner, try adding other new flavors like berries, vanilla, banana and more.
- To make it a little healthier, you can also try adding spices like cardamom, cinnamon or even ginger.
2. Sneak It In Smoothies:
Your kid may have a taste for yogurt smoothies, but try it out with milk too.
- Whip up a delicious smoothie with fruits that your kid may otherwise not like.
- Add a dollop of honey to give it a burst of taste and health.
3. Iced Milk:
Why not try making some delicious and healthy iced milk at home for your kid?
- Use milk as the main base and add whatever other ingredients you would wish to like. Make sure you whip it well to make it creamy and even frothy.
- Once done, put it in the fridge and let it chill. While serving, add some chopped fruits to add more taste and health.
4. Cereals And Oats:
Add some milk to your kid’s bowl of cereals and oats
- Add either hot or cold milk to your kid’s bowl of cereal.
- Add enough milk so that the oats or cereal submerges completely. It should be eaten quickly, as cereal with milk can turn soggy quickly.
5. Add It In Pasta:
You can also use milk to make some delicious pasta in white sauce. Instead of using cream or cheese, try to make the pasta more interesting by adding milk. You can add butter and cheese if needed and also include a handful of chopped vegetables.
- Instead of using cream or cheese, try to make the pasta more interesting by adding milk. You can add butter and cheese if needed and also include a handful of chopped vegetables.
- All kids love pasta and your kid too will enjoy the delicious taste of pasta in white sauce, which sneaks into the milk.
Getting your kid to finish his glass of milk can be a struggle, so try these simple tricks. Milk is one of the healthiest drinks your kid can have, so make sure that you include some milk for kids daily diet. Tell us about how you include milk in your little angel’s diet. Leave a comment below.