- Can you eat raisins during pregnancy?
- How many raisins can you eat daily during pregnancy?
- What are the benefits of eating raisins during pregnancy?
- Nutritional value of raisins
- Are there any side effects of raisins during pregnancy?
- How to eat raisins during pregnancy?
- Can you eat raisins during early pregnancy?
- Can you eat black raisins soaked in water?
- What are the benefits of black raisins during pregnancy?
- Can you eat munakka (raisins )with milk during pregnancy?
Being pregnant and having a sweet tooth could be bad!
The cravings urge you to snack on unhealthy desserts such as cookies, puddings, frozen desserts, and soft drinks that may not be good for you and your baby.
So, what do you do then? Replace the sweet dishes with foods rich in natural sugars. One such option is raisins, which you can eat plain, tossed in salads or sprinkled on other dishes.
Can You Eat Raisins During Pregnancy?
Yes. Raisins are rich in nutrients such as potassium, calcium and phosphorous among others that support fetal growth. These healthy food alternatives to desserts offer quick energy along with several health benefits for the mother and the baby (1). However, you must eat them in moderate amounts to stay healthy and avoid any complications.
How Many Raisins Can You Eat Daily During Pregnancy?
You can have a handful of raisins every day (2). They are a great snack packed with rich nutrition.
What Are The Benefits Of Eating Raisins During Pregnancy?
Here are the benefits of raisins for both you and your baby:
1. Prevents anemia:
Iron deficiency anemia is a common complaint during pregnancy. Raisins contain good levels of iron and vitamin C that help to lower the risk of anemia (3).
2. Treats constipation:
Many women suffer from constipation and other digestive issues during pregnancy (4). Raisins can provide the solution to this often-irritating problem as they contain fiber that eases the bowel movements (5).
[ Read: Benefits Of Dry Fruits During Pregnancy ]
3. Dental health:
4. Prevents cancer and heart diseases:
Raisins contain potent antioxidants, which help in lowering the risk of cancers, heart stroke and conditions (8).
5. Supplies energy:
Raisins are a good source of glucose and fruit sugars. A handful of raisins can give you an instant boost of energy (9).
6. Fetal bone and vision:
Consumption of raisins helps your unborn baby too. The vitamin A content helps in eyesight development (10), and calcium makes the bones stronger.
Next, let’s see the amount of nutrition a cup or handful of raisins provides.
Nutritional Value Of Raisins
According to the USDA, 100 g of dark, seedless raisins contain (11):
|Thiamine (Vitamin B1)||0.106mg|
|Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)||0.125mg|
|Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)||0.12mg|
|Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)||0.174mg|
g=grams; mg=milligrams; mcg=micrograms; IU=international unit
Are There Any Side Effects Of Eating Raisins During Pregnancy?
Though raisins have high a nutritional value and offer health benefits, they can be harmful when taken in excess amounts. Raisins can:
- Increase your blood sugar levels, and therefore cause gestational diabetes.
- Cause infant obesity that makes the delivery difficult and results in a cesarean section.
- Increase the chances of you and your baby getting type 2 diabetes.
[ Read: Eating Apricots During Pregnancy ]
How To Eat Raisins During Pregnancy?
You can have a handful of raisins whenever you crave for something sweet. Try some interesting ways to consume them.
- Soak a handful of raisins in cold water for one hour. Drain the water and eat them along with hot milk before bedtime.
- Add raisins to boiling water, and keep for 10 to 15 minutes. You can consume the water in small quantities through the day.
- Make a trail mix of raisins, nuts and dried apricots to make a healthy snack.
- Take some amount of raisins and nuts of your choice, and add honey. Store it in a container, and you can have one tablespoon of this delicious treat every morning.
Can You Eat Raisins During Early Pregnancy?
Yes, you can eat raisins during early pregnancy for a quick energy boost and to also cope with constipation.
Can You Eat Black Raisins Soaked In Water?
Yes, black raisins soaked in water are an excellent remedy for constipation (12). Raisins, being the natural sources of vitamins and minerals, offer significant benefits when taken along with the water they are soaked in. These soaked raisins also promote good liver health.
What Are The Benefits Of Black Raisins During Pregnancy?
Black raisins offer the same benefits as other types of raisins. They help in blood purification, improving hemoglobin levels and immunity, regulating blood pressure, combating bad cholesterol, improving bone health and the digestive system.
Can You Eat Munakka (Raisins) With Milk During Pregnancy?
Yes, you can eat munakka (black raisins) with milk to ease constipation. Boil around ten munakkas in a glass of milk, and consume them before bedtime. Do this for two to three days to treat chronic constipation (13).
[ Read: Cashew Nuts During Pregnancy ]
You can enjoy raisins during pregnancy, but in moderation. Add them to your favorite dish, garnish them on rice or eat them as they are. Regardless of how you consume them, raisins are definitely something you should add to your pregnancy diet.
How do you like eating raisins – mixed with your dessert or as a snack? Tell us about it in the comments section below.
- 8 Health Benefits Of Pistachios During Pregnancy
- 8 Amazing Benefits Of Eating Almonds During Pregnancy
- 8 Surprising Benefits Of Dates During Pregnancy
- 8 Amazing Nutritional Benefits Of Eating Nuts During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Rebecca Malachi (see all)
- 42nd Week Pregnancy: Symptoms, Baby Development, Tips, And Body Changes - January 9, 2019
- Urine Color During Pregnancy: Why It Changes And When To See A Doctor - December 28, 2018
- Fast Heart Beat During Pregnancy: Why Does It Happen And Is It Normal? - December 26, 2018
- What is Double Marker Test? Its Cost, Procedure, Results - December 26, 2018
- Bio Oil Review - December 6, 2018
- Bio Oil review - December 5, 2018
- Is It Safe To Eat Lotus Seeds (Makhana) During Pregnancy? - October 25, 2018
- 32 Best Essential Oils To Improve Fertility In Men And Women - October 11, 2018
- Birthing Ball Exercises During Pregnancy, Labor And Beyond - September 28, 2018
- Lightning Crotch: Causes, Symptoms And Tips To Deal With It - September 28, 2018