Are acne breakouts causing you trouble after pregnancy? You could use benzoyl peroxide, but are you worried if it might affect you or your infant while breastfeeding? This post will give you all the information you need about benzoyl peroxide while breastfeeding, and its possible effects on you and your infant if you are breastfeeding.
To know more, keep reading.
Is It Safe To Use Benzoyl Peroxide While Breatsfeeding?
Benzoyl Peroxide is very effective for reducing the severity of acne lesions. The skin takes its time to get used to the product, and hence minor breakouts are possible. If you have sensitive skin, please avoid using this product on the face. Benzoyl Peroxide is considered to be one of the most organic peroxides in terms of its production and application.
Benzoyl Peroxide is used mainly to treat moderate to mild acne, and can be sometimes used in combination with other acne treatments as well. It is said to reduce the number of acne-causing bacteria, by mostly causing the skin to dry and then peel. It is advisable to check the product contents before using it, as taking the wrong product might harm the skin and the infant.
How Can You Use Benzoyl Peroxide While Breastfeeding?
The package contains a cleansing liquid or a bar, lotion, cream, or gel. It is advisable to use it once or twice a day, starting with once a day to see the effect of the same on the skin. Follow the directions mentioned on the package and consult the doctor if there is any ingredient you do not know. Do not ever overuse the product, and neither should you use it more than what is prescribed by the doctor. As any other product, use this product on the palm for three days and see if it causes any discomfort.
First the liquid is used to wash the affected area. After you gently wash the affected area, pat dry with a towel and then apply the lotion, cream or the gel. It is then that you apply Benzoyl Peroxide and rub it gently. The doctor might advise you to avoid any product that might irritate the skin while you are using benzoyl peroxide.
If you miss the application, either apply it as soon as you remember. Ensure you don’t apply a double dose to make up for the missed one .
Though not severe, Benzoyl Peroxide while nursing might have some side effects like:
- Peeling and dryness of skin
- Feeling warm
- A tingling or stinging sensation
Sometimes the side effects may be adverse. In that case, please consult the doctor and stop using benzoyl peroxide. These adverse side effects include:
- Throat tightness
- Difficulty in breathing
- Feeling dizzy
- Swelling in any part of the body
Certain medicines are not supposed to be used together. When you start this medicine, it is extremely important that the doctor knows about the medication. Consult your health care professional and discuss the need for the medicine. Also, after 2-3 weeks, if you notice anything strange with the infant (like stomach problems) stop the medication and talk to the doctor.
Anything that is applied to the skin or taken orally does affect the infant. Studies have proved that this medicine is safe for the infant while you are breastfeeding.
[ Read: Skin Care While Breastfeeding ]
All in all, unless the medicine hurts you, it is safe to use it while breastfeeding. With the advancement of medical science and technology, posts like this help you get better information on the effects of medicines even when you are pregnant or breastfeeding. If you have any information on Benzoyl Peroxide and breastfeeding, please write to us. You can comment in the box below.
- Is Cymbalta (Duloxitine) Safe While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Take Phenylephrine While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Have Effexor While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Have Imitrex (Sumatriptan) While Breastfeeding?
Latest posts by Payal Morjaria (see all)
- Norovirus Infections And Pregnancy - Everything You Should Be Aware Of - November 17, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Body Odor During Pregnancy? - November 16, 2015
- Marfan Syndrome In Babies - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - November 4, 2015
- Is It Safe To Take Dandelion Tea During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Can You Eat Banana While Breastfeeding? - November 3, 2015
- How To Set Boundaries For Teenagers? - October 31, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Shrimp When Breastfeeding? - October 31, 2015
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Complications - October 27, 2015
- The Christmas Story For Kids - Birth Of Jesus Christ - October 25, 2015
- What Is Prosocial Behaviour & When Should You Intervene? - October 16, 2015