Most of us keep a buy list ready and probably start buying things for our baby as the delivery date approaches. While the list includes major things like maternity and baby dresses, a crib, diapers, etc., it would not have some nondescript item such as a baby burp cloth.
Burp clothes have a great practical importance, and if you have missed it in your first list, do add it in your next. MomJunction helps you buy them by sharing some tips and suggestions.
What Is A Baby Burp Cloth:
Burping is an inevitable ritual every time your baby has a feed. It allows the gas in the baby’s stomach to come out. But more often than not it also makes the baby spit up. When you hold him on your shoulders to make him burp, your clothes are bound to get spoilt as he spits.
A baby burp cloth helps you avoid soiling your clothes.
How To Use A Burp Cloth:
You can spread the burp cloth on your shoulder before lifting your baby up for burping so that it absorbs the spit-ups.
Place the cloth in such a way that it covers your complete shoulder horizontally, and runs in the front and back of your shoulder vertically.
How Many Burp Clothes Do I Need:
There is no fixed number as it depends on the number of feeds your baby has in a day, and the frequency with which you can reuse them:
- Your baby may not spit every time he burps. It means that you can reuse the cloth for the next time.
- If you are in a habit of washing the cloth immediately after your baby spits on it, you would need fewer clothes as you can use the washed cloth after it dries up.
- Assuming that your baby has around 12 feeds in a day, and you wash the clothes immediately, you might need 12 or fewer.
- However, if you like to wash them all at the end of the day or the next day, you might need more.
- With the same assumption of 12 feeds a day, you would need around 24 clothes – two sets of 12 each, with the second set in use when the first is out to dry.
Criteria For Selecting Burp Clothes:
The market is flooded with a variety of burp clothes. As a new mother, you may be confused as to what could be the most suitable type for you. Follow this checklist to make selection easy.
1. Ease Of Use:
What use is a product when it is not easy to use? Try the burp cloth before buying, and see if you are comfortable with it. It cannot be so slippery that it would not stay on your shoulder, or so thick that it makes your sweat or feel itchy.
2. Check The Material And Texture:
- Choose clothes made of cotton or some other soft material, which do not harm or hurt the tender skin of your child when his face comes in contact with the cloth.
- The cloth needs to be absorbent so that all the spit sinks into it without rolling down your shoulders.
- The paints and prints on the material need to be waterproof.
- The texture needs to be such that the spit does not get stuck in between them, making it difficult to clean.
3. Size Of The Cloth:
The burp cloth should be big enough to spread across your shoulder, front, and back. You cannot predict where your baby would spit when you are holding him. Therefore, a bigger cloth will be able to field it wherever he spits.
Burp clothes are meant to be reused. They should not only be washable but also able to withstand regular and brisk cleaning. Once washed, they need to dry quickly under any weather conditions.
5. Price Tag:
Keep the price tag in mind while buying burp clothes. The basic ones are inexpensive, but there are fanciful clothes made with luxury material and designs. Decide how you are planning to use them, and if the price is worth it. If the clothes are multi-purpose and can be used for a longer period, a costlier option may be considered.
10 Ready-to-use Baby Burp Clothes:
Once you have ticked your checklist and made a picture of your requirements, it is the time to buy the product. To make your selection easy, here we list a few best selling baby burp clothes:
1. Gerber Baby 4-Pack Flannel Burp Cloth
Gerber offers 100% cotton burp cloths that are very absorbent. It is a two-layered burp cloth with the edges stitched to prevent fraying of the fabric and increase the durability of the fabric. The cloth is thick enough to absorb liquids, is machine washable and easy to clean.
2. PPOGOO Muslin Burp Cloths
You can forget drools, drips, and wet burps with this muslin burp cloth with six layers of fabric for maximum absorbency. The cloth is generously sized to be placed on the shoulder of an adult while they hold a baby. It is machine washable too.
3. Baby K’tan Burp Cloth (Multi-color):
The burp cloth is made from breathable mesh-absorbent microfiber on the back and soft cotton on the front. It has an open pocket (remains open when placed on your shoulder) to catch the spit of your baby.
Do not worry about the cloth slipping away, as you can Velcro it to your baby carrier, car seat, diaper bag, or the like.
The multi-purpose cloth can be used for nursing your baby discreetly in the public. Its streamlined design makes the cloth shorter than the nursing clothes but serves your purpose. You can also use the K’tanCloth to cover you baby from the sun.
4. Born Free Soft Clean Burp Cloth, Moroccan Floral:
Available in various designs, the Born Free soft clean burp cloth is made from soft muslin and absorbent terry. In addition to spreading it on your lap or shoulder for burping your baby, you can use it for wiping his face.
5. Dwell Studio 2 Pack Burp Cloth Set, Bears:
Made from 100% cotton percale with terry back, the burp cloth is soft and absorbent. The Scandinavian designs feature animal patterns with hatch-marked details.
6. Baby Kicks 3 Pack Premium Burp Cloth, Baby Boy:
The burp clothes are part of BabyKicks Hemparoo Premium Duz it Alls, and can be put to various uses. They can be used as a burp cloth, cloth diaper inserts, an emergency diaper, and for diapering a newborn.
The cloth has two layers of hemp and organic cotton jersey knit, and a layer of super soft and absorbent hemp fleece.
7. Carter S Baby Burp Girl Cloth “Little Princess”, 3 Pack:
The cloth comes with two-layered 100% cotton and has an elongated design. It is machine-washable.
8. Hudson Baby 6 Piece Bib And Burp Cloth Set, Giraffe:
The pack has three burp clothes and three bibs. Its front is made from 100% soft cotton and back from cotton/polyester blend terry. The bib is easy to close. It comes in various colors and has a giraffe design on it.
9. Babies R Us Boys 3 Pack Interlock Burp Clothes:
The white and blue burp clothes are made from 100% soft cotton. Its central panel is double layered for extra absorption.
10. Trend Lab Set Of 4 Burp Cloth, Baby Barnyard:
The product is a set of four burp clothes. It has 100 cotton prints front and white 100 cotton loop terry back.
How To Make Baby Burp Clothes At Home:
Buying burp clothes is an easier option but making them at home helps you personalize them to your requirements. You can choose the materials and unleash your creativity. They could also prove to be cheaper than the readymade ones.
Here is how you can make baby burp clothes at home:
Burp Clothes From Diapers Or Cotton:
You can make these burp clothes using soft material, 100% organic cotton or cotton diapers.
You Will Need:
- Soft and absorbent cloth
- Alternatively, cotton diapers
- 100% cotton cloth for the topside
Burp Cloth Instructions:
- The diapers will give you the required thickness.
- With cotton or any other soft material, you may use an additional layer to make it thicker.
- Wash and iron the material before making the cloth, as it could shrink.
- Measure the two clothes and cut them into equal sizes (10X18in).
- Pin them up together along the edges so that both are evenly placed one over the other.
- Stitch them along half-inch below the borders on all the sides.
- Topstitch in the middle of the cloth for easy folding.
- You may embroider your baby’s name on it or use various colors, patterns, and designs of the top cloth.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What is organic cotton, and why is it good for baby burp clothes?
Organic cotton is grown from non-genetically modified seeds, and without the use of any chemicals such as fertilizers or pesticides. In the US, organic cotton needs to meet the standards of the National Organic Program (NOP).
The burp clothes made of organic cotton do not have artificial colors or bleach. This means that they are soft on your baby’s skin, and avoid irritation, rashes, or other allergies.
2. What is the best fabric for making burp clothes?
Chenille, flannel, terry cloth, and cotton are ideal for making burp clothes as they absorb the spit efficiently and avoid seepage.
3. For how long can I use burp clothes for my baby?
You can use burp clothes for about six to nine months that is as long as you are burping your baby. Once your baby learns to sit or move around, burping is not required and neither are the burp clothes.
What cloth did you use while burping your baby? Did you make something at home? Let us know your experience and suggestions in the comments section.
- 25 Best Selling Baby Products You Should Definitely Know
- Top 5 Places To Shop For Quirky Nursery Items For Your Little Babies
- 4 Useful Tips To Choose The Right Stroller For Your Baby
- 7 Tips To Help You Buy The First Pair Of Shoes For Your Baby
- Top 10 Chicco Baby Products For Your Little Ones