A 3D pen prints an object in three dimensions using the same technology as that of 3D printing. This is a less expensive yet fun alternative to a 3D printer that you can get for your child. A 3D pen has a nozzle that oozes out a line of molten plastic to draw figures and artwork. It allows you to build up layers on top of one another and lets the crafts stand on their own.
Here, MomJunction lists some of the best 3D pens for kids. But before that, let’s understand how they work to give a hassle-free crafting experience.
How Do 3D Pens Work?
The principle behind the 3D pen’s functioning is simple. It uses heat to melt the plastic filament inside and push it through the nozzle. The temperature varies based on the materials used for making the filament. The doodler or pen user can create different shapes and figures by moving the pen. Molten plastic, when extruded, cools down and solidifies immediately, taking form permanently.
The plastics that are usually used to make 3D-pen filament are ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene), PLA (polylactic acid), PVA (polyvinyl alcohol), PC (polycarbonate), HDPE (high-density polyethylene), polyamide, and glass-filled polyamide.
How Are 3D Pens Different From 3D Printers?
With 3D pens, you may start creating the object right away, whereas, with a 3D printer, you may have to think and design the object before you begin to create it. The immediacy of 3D pens makes them ideal for younger children. They are easier to use compared to 3D printing, which makes them ideal for children. Also, 3D pens could quickly repair failed or broken builds with ease, whereas it is not the case with 3D printers.
10 Best 3D Pens For Kids
Bring imagination to life with this professional 3D pen from MYNT3D. The package includes a 3D pen, three rolls of ABS filament, AC adapter, USB cord, manual, and nozzle replacement tools. The large OLED display helps you monitor the temperature of the material being used to achieve varied effects.
- Regulates speed to let you create intricate artwork
- Ergonomic pen design gives a good grip
- Temperature is adjustable between 130 and 240°C
- Easily replaceable modular nozzle
- Portably powdered with a battery power bank
- Does not run on battery
- When extruding, it may stop sometimes
As the name implies, this 3Doodler start pen is ideal for beginners to learn about designing, building, planning, and spatial understanding. It is a child-safe 3D pen with no hot parts. The kit comes with two mixed-color packs of 48 eco-plastic strands, a micro-USB charger, and an activity guide.
- Filament uses ‘eco plastic’ that is safe for kids
- One-click control making it easy to use for children over six years
- Works on rechargeable batteries
- Ideal for STEM education
- Wireless pen
- Filament takes time to harden
- Might clog if not used properly
The Super 3D printing pen from MYNT3D could be one of the best gifting options for kids, engineers, and artists of all ages. The kit comes with a slim 3D pen, three colors of ABS plastic filament, AC adapter, ABS filament, USB cord, manual, and repair tools.
- Speed slider that lets you regulate the filament flow
- Clog-proof ultrasonic sealed nozzle
- Smart LED indicator
- Temperature adjustment screw to switch between the ABS and FLS materials
- No OLED display or discrete temperature adjustment
- Wired pen may get tangled
MYNT3D introduces the Junior 3D pen that is specifically designed for younger kids. It allows their imagination to come alive with PCL plastic, which is usually recommended for the MYNTD3D brand. The pack includes a 3D pen, USB power cable, PCL filament, stencil, and a user manual.
- Ergonomically designed for use by smaller hands
- Low-temperature nozzle that may not burn hands
- Works with batteries, and charges with micro USB
- Comes with one year warranty that covers defects
- No risk of burns
- Not compatible with ABS or PLA
- Does not include AC adapter
Take your child’s creativity to the next level with this 3D Magic Imagi pen. The pen could be used to draw small pieces that may be connected to build a house or customize their favorite objects. Along with the pen, you will get two magic gels, one image pen stand, and two drawing mats.
- Uses non-toxic, quick-curing and child-friendly gel
- Operates on battery
- No heat, and safe for kids
- Suitable for children aged from eight to 15
- Uses ultra-safe LED light
- Super sticky gel that may turn messy
- Does not include a battery
The SketchPro 3D pen comes with the latest technology with features such as auto shut-off option, adjustment flexibility, and quick-cleaning function. It includes the 3D pen, adapter, filament sampler, power cord, and user manual.
- Ergonomically designed for a comfortable hold
- Large LED screen that is easy to read
- Changing filaments takes less time
- Lightweight and comfortable to use
- Digital speed and temperature control options
- May clog after prolonged use
- Hot filament may curl as soon as it exits the nozzle
Your child could make their own eccentric-looking HexBug creatures with this 3Doodler 3D pen set, which includes doodle molds to create the insect body parts. This set includes a 3D printing pen, three Hexbug micro-robotic motors, two packs of 3Doodler start plastic, four themed doodle molds, micro USB charging cable, manual, and activity guide.
- Fosters STEM learning in kids
- Stepwise activity guides that help create the creatures
- Ideal for children aged over six years
- Uses non-toxic, BPA-free, and child-safe plastic
- Personalized insectoids
- Operates on batteries
- May give short battery life
- Molded parts may sometimes be difficult to attach
The Robotics Themed 3D pen set could help your child create simple, two-legged, four-legged, and six-legged walking Robots. It is a tactical learning toy for child engineers and roboticists, and ideal for STEM learning. The pen kit includes a 3D printing pen motor, battery, activity guide, doodle sheets, doodle blocks, micro USB cable, and four packs plastic.
- Uses low-heat, BPA-free, and non-toxic plastic
- Suitable for children aged over eight years
- Operates only on one speed and one temperature
- Supports fine motor skills
- Comes with free replacement policy within 360 days
- Requires practice before using it
- Plastic strands may expand quickly
The dikale 3D pen is a practical tool that lets your child create handmade gifts, decorations, and also fix worn-out cables to improve aesthetics. The motor and nozzle are made of eco-friendly ABS plastic and include PLA filament refills that come in 12 colors. It also includes a power adapter, finger stall, pen holder, and PVC drawing board.
- Nozzle could endure high temperatures
- Auto-shutoff and auto-sleep options
- Adjustable speed and temperature
- LCD screen displaying the speed
- Comes with one year warranty, and 30-days money-back guarantee
- May be prone to clogs
- May give out a clicking sound when molten filament oozes out
The unique CreoPop’s 3D printing pen uses a cool ink or photopolymer instead of a plastic filament. It just needs a press of the button to release ink for precision crafting. The cartridges could also be easily changed to create complex models.
- Cordless and works with a battery
- Safe since no heat is generated
- Lightweight and easy to manage
- Comes with one year of warranty
- Convenient LED light
- Cold ink may not be durable as ABS and PLA plastics
- Supported ink is available with the manufacturer only
How To Choose The Right 3D Pens For Children?
Listed below are some features you should look for when selecting a 3D pen for your child.
- Design: Choose an ergonomically 3D pen that is easy to hold. Also, in this case, the heat from the molten plastic will not make the grip uncomfortable.
- Customizable settings: The 3D pen with customizable settings will provide a choice of extrusion speeds. It makes it easy to switch between the slower intricate work, faster infill work, and multiple temperature settings. This allows working with various filament types.
- Filament compatibility: Consider 3D pens that work with different filament brands. In that case, you may take any filament that is easily available rather than going for a specific type when you run out of it
- Corded or cordless: Cordless models are better to corded 3D pens as they offer convenience and portability.
- Safety: The filament material should not give any smelly or dangerous fumes. Check the ones made of non-toxic and child-safety materials.
- Reliability: A reliable 3D pen is not prone to filament clogs and will not break easily. Read the reviews to understand its reliability.
- Price: Set a budget before planning to buy a specific product. Once set, make a list of expectations you may get within that budget. Accordingly, you may buy the right product.
With our list of the best 3D pens, and buying guide tips, purchasing a good one might become easy for you. Consider your child’s needs and select a product that offers unlimited features.