Allow your child to explore their creativity with our list of the best 3D pens. A 3D pen comes with a nozzle that produces a line of molten plastic. This oozing fluid is used to draw three-dimensional artworks by building up layers on top of one another. A fun and handy alternative to 3D printers, these pens work on the same technology as 3D printing. You can create models for presentations or toys, and they can stand on their own.
With various options available, choosing the right one can be challenging. So, explore our expert-approved list to take your pick. And ensure you choose these for children aged above six years.
How Do 3D Pens Work?
The principle behind the 3D pen’s functioning is simple. It uses heat to melt the plastic filament inside and push it through the nozzle. The temperature varies based on the materials used for making the filament. The doodler or pen user can create different shapes and figures by moving the pen. Molten plastic, when extruded, cools down and solidifies immediately, taking form permanently.
The plastics that are usually used to make 3D-pen filament are ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene), PLA (polylactic acid), PVA (polyvinyl alcohol), PC (polycarbonate), HDPE (high-density polyethylene), polyamide, and glass-filled polyamide.
How Are 3D Pens Different From 3D Printers?
With 3D pens, you may start creating the object right away, whereas, with a 3D printer, you may have to think and design the object before you begin to create it. The immediacy of 3D pens makes them ideal for younger children. They are easier to use compared to 3D printing, which makes them ideal for children. Also, 3D pens could quickly repair failed or broken builds with ease, whereas it is not the case with 3D printers.
10 Best 3D Pens For Kids
Bring imagination to life with this professional 3D pen from MYNT3D. The package includes a 3D pen, three rolls of ABS filament, AC adapter, USB cord, manual, and nozzle replacement tools. The large OLED display helps you monitor the temperature of the material being used to achieve varied effects, making it one of the most creative 3D pens available online. You can check out this testing video if you need to know more about this 3D pen model.
- Regulates speed to let you create intricate designs
- Ergonomic 3D pen design gives a good grip
- Adjustable temperature settings
- Easily replaceable modular nozzle
- Portably powdered with a battery power bank
- Does not run on battery
- When extruding, it may stop sometimes
As the name implies, this 3Doodler start pen is one of the best beginner-friendly 3D pens that can help your child learn about designing, building, planning, and spatial reasoning. It is a child-safe 3D pen with no hot parts, making it one of the safest options on our list. The skill-building kit comes with two mixed-color packs of 48 eco-plastic strands, a micro-USB charger, and an activity guide. To find out more about these children’s 3D pens, check out this video review detailing a tester’s experience of using it.
- Filament uses ‘eco plastic’ that is safe for kids
- One-click control making it easy to use for children over six years
- Rechargeable 3D pen
- Ideal for STEM education
- Wireless pen
- Filament takes time to harden
- Might clog if not used properly
The Super 3D printing pen from MYNT3D could be one of the best gifting options for kids, engineers, and artists of all ages. The tried-and-tested kit comes with a slim 3D pen, three colors of ABS plastic filament, AC adapter, ABS filament, USB cord, manual, and repair tools for a seamless user experience. If you are an absolute beginner, click on this review video to learn more.
- Speed slider that lets you regulate the filament flow
- Compact body and clog-proof ultrasonic sealed nozzle
- Smart LED indicator
- Temperature adjustment screw to switch between the ABS and FLS materials
- No OLED display or discrete temperature adjustment
- Wired pen may get tangled
MYNT3D introduces the Junior 3D pen that is specifically designed for younger kids. Being one of the most versatile 3D pens, it allows their imagination to come alive with PCL plastic, which is usually recommended for the MYNTD3D brand. The pack includes a portable 3D pen, USB power cable, PCL filament, stencil, and a user manual.
- Ergonomically designed for use by smaller hands
- Low-temperature nozzle that may not burn hands
- Works with batteries, and charges with micro USB
- Ideal gift option for kids that love art and crafts
- Comes with one year warranty that covers defects
- Not compatible with ABS or PLA
- Does not include AC adapter
If you are looking for safe 3D pens, then take your child’s creativity to the next level with this 3D Magic Imagi pen. The durable pen could be used to draw small pieces that may be connected to build a house or customize their favorite objects. Along with the pen, you will get two magic gels, one image pen stand, and two drawing mats.
- Uses non-toxic, quick-curing and child-friendly gel
- Operates on battery
- No heat, and safe for kids
- Suitable for children aged from eight to 15
- Uses ultra-safe LED light
- Super sticky gel that may turn messy
- Does not include a battery
6. Best With Temperature Control: Pika3D Super 3D Printing Pen
The compact body and lightweight design of this pen by Pika3D allow you to create unique and colorful 3D models in no time. It has a ceramic nozzle and temperature and speed control slide buttons for creating precise lines. Plug the pen into a power source, give it a couple of seconds to heat, select a color filament, and you can draw magnificent 3D structures.
- Made of durable plastic
- Has a legible OLED display
- Includes four color filaments
- Includes a user manual and stencil guide
- Filament might take time to dry
- Might get jammed at times
Your child could make their own eccentric-looking HexBug creatures with this 3Doodler 3D pen set, which includes doodle molds to create the insect body parts. This award-winning set includes a 3D printing pen, three Hexbug micro-robotic motors, two packs of 3Doodler start plastic, four themed doodle molds, micro USB charging cable, manual, and activity guide.
- Fosters STEM learning in kids
- Stepwise activity guides that help create the creatures
- Ideal for children aged over six years
- Uses non-toxic, BPA-free, and child-safe plastic
- Personalized insectoids
- Operates on batteries
- May give short battery life
- Molded parts may sometimes be difficult to attach
The Robotics Themed 3D pen set could help your child create simple, two-legged, four-legged, and six-legged walking Robots. It is a tactical learning toy for child engineers and roboticists, and ideal for STEM learning. The parent-recommended pen kit includes a 3D printing pen motor, battery, activity guide, doodle sheets, doodle blocks, micro USB cable, and two packs of start plastic.
- Uses low-heat, BPA-free, and non-toxic plastic
- Suitable for children aged over eight years
- Operates only on one speed and one temperature
- Supports fine motor skills
- Comes with free replacement policy within 360 days
- Requires practice before using it
- Plastic strands may expand quickly
3D designs are always attractive and colorful. Scrib 3D Advanced Pen can be used to create, doodle, draw, and sketch with convenience, making it one of the best easy-to-use 3D pens. Tested by several reviewers, the sleek and ergonomically designed 3D pen features speed control and a large LCD screen, an advanced feature that helps to monitor heat and displays the settings. The kit includes three colors of PLA plastic and is ideal for beginners and advanced learners, making it one of the most sought-after 3D pens.
- Wireless 3D pen
- Clog-free smooth application
- Buttons to unload and load
- Adjustable speed settings for optimal flow
- Soft-touch surface for optimal doodling
- Shorter shut-off feature
The unique CreoPop’s 3D printing pen uses a cool ink or photopolymer instead of a plastic filament. The 3D drawing pen just needs a press of the button to release ink for precision crafting. Its cartridges could also be easily changed to create complex models, making the device one of the best precision 3D pens.
- Cordless and works with a battery
- Safe since no heat is generated
- Lightweight and easy to manage
- Comes with one year of warranty
- Convenient LED light
- Cold ink may not be durable as ABS and PLA plastics
- Supported ink is available with the manufacturer only
How To Choose The Right 3D Pens For Children?
Listed below are some features you should look for when selecting kid-friendly 3D pens.
- Design: Choose an ergonomically 3D pen that is easy to hold. Also, in this case, the heat from the molten plastic will not make the grip uncomfortable.
- Customizable settings: The 3D pen with customizable settings will provide a choice of extrusion speeds. It makes it easy to switch between the slower intricate work, faster infill work, and multiple temperature settings. This allows working with various filament types.
- Filament compatibility: Consider 3D pens that work with a variety of filament brands. In that case, you may take any filament that is easily available rather than going for a specific type when you run out of it
- Corded or cordless: Cordless models are better than corded 3D pens as they offer convenience and portability.
- Safety: The filament material should not give any smelly or dangerous fumes. Opt for ones made of non-toxic and child-safe materials to ensure safe usage.
- Reliability: A reliable 3D pen is not prone to filament clogs and will not break easily. Read the reviews to understand its reliability.
Why Trust MomJunction?
A 3D pen allows a child to explore their imaginative side to create fun and creative artworks. We have scoured numerous trusted websites and analyzed individual products and customer reviews to bring you a collection of some of the best available 3D pens online. These pens are safe, easy to use and come with numerous features. Glance through our buying guide when selecting the most age-appropriate pen considering your child’s needs and interests.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a 3D pen used for?
3D pens are a popular choice for model-making, 3D drawing projects and printing repair, artistic work, and prototyping, as they come in handy for creating complex shapes with ease.
2. Are 3D pens environmentally damaging?
When you choose a 3D pen that is specifically designed using biodegradable materials, your 3D pen will not have environmentally damaging repercussions.
3. Do 3D pens smell?
ABS-based 3D pens may have a slight plastic-like smell to them. However, if you’re using a PLA-based 3D pen, it may have more of a popcorn or syrup-like smell.
3D pens are a good alternative to 3D printers. Their ease of use makes them a good choice for young children. To invest in the best 3D pens, you should explore each product’s design, settings, safety features, and price. Different products come with different functionalities. Hence, going through the products listed here and comparing them based on factors such as grip, regulation of filament flow, type of nozzle, and weight could help you make the right choice. Try the MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen With OLED Display, which has a temperature-adjustable feature. The 3Doodler Start 3D Pen For Kids with a child-safe design makes a great option too. Choose a pen according to your child’s age and needs and give wings to their creativity.
Infographic: How To Use A 3D Pen Correctly?
Besides purchasing a high-quality and well-designed 3D pen, patience, practice, and the proper techniques are crucial for acing this art. So, check out the following infographic to learn some of the basic nuances involved in 3D pen drawings.