Introduce your child to activity cubes to help develop their cognitive, social, and communication skills while having fun. We have curated a list of the best activity cubes for kids to help you choose the right product. These skill-building activity cubes can sharpen their hand-eye coordination, problem-solving, and cognitive skills and foster fine motor skills development while helping your child express themselves better.
An activity cube can quickly become your child’s favorite toy if they get the hang of it. So, if you are considering an activity cube for the little one to play with, you are in the right place. Explore our list of best-selling activity cubes to find one that suits your child’s interests.
15 Best Activity Cubes
1. Best With Nursery Rhymes: VTech Sort And Discover Activity Cube
With this activity cube, you can keep your child engaged for hours. The musical book plays a unique nursery rhyme on each page, the piano keys light up. The shape sorter comes in four different shapes, which will help develop your child’s motor skills. This video review will help you learn more about the plastic activity cube.
- Plays more than 75 songs, melodies, and phrases
- Comes with activities for introducing children to cookies, music, numbers, animals, and more
- Helps develop hand eye coordination
- Backed by a warranty of 90 days
- Might be smaller than expected
- Cube may not lay flat if the shape sorter side is used
"This cube never fails to entertain my daughter. It keeps her hooked for hours at a stretch thanks to its diverse sensory activities that are thoughtfully arranged all around the cube in a non-complicated manner, encouraging independent play."
2. Best For Tactile Development: Alex Toys My Busy Town Wooden Activity Cube
This wooden activity cube has many activities incorporated in it to keep your child engaged. This bright and cheerful activity cube features five sides of fun and includes curvy wire rides, bead mazes, peek-a-boo doors, animal blocks that can be spun and matched. The ABC word tiles and the racing rollers that can be turned. If you are still unsure, check out this honest review.
- Recipient of Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold Seal Award
- Designed to foster tactile development
- Made to engage kids for long time periods
- Suitable for children aged one year and older
- Grows with the child
- Cube may be easy to knock over
- Children may get their fingers stuck in the cube while playing
[mJ_RELATED_LINKS href=”https://www.momjunction.com/articles/best-activity-table-for-babies_00764814/” title=”Best Activity Tables”]
3. Best Gender Neutral: Battat Wooden Activity Cube For Babies
Make your little one’s eyes light up and invigorate his mind with the help of this bright and colorful activity cube. Beautifully crafted with solid wood, the five distinctly different sides of this wooden activity center feature zig-zag beads that go up and down, a multitude of spinners with different animals, cute little window nooks that open to reveal hidden painted animals, and many more. Click this video to learn more about this animal-themed activity cube.
- Comes in a gender-neutral color
- Recipient of multiple awards
- Heirloom quality wood frame made for added durability
- Improves hand-eye coordination
- May have sharp overhangings
- Paint may chip off over time
"The thoughtful design and assortment of games convinced me to choose this activity cube. It poses a slight risk of pinching little fingers, but with proper parental supervision, this can be easily averted. Get this if you want to engage your child for hours."
4. Best For Improving Cognitive Skills: Wolvol Educational Kids Activity Cube
This little wonder will be your child’s favorite toy in a matter of seconds. No matter which direction the cube is turned, there is something fun to do and something new to learn. It features a total of six sides of 15 different activities, which makes it a super engaging and educational cube for children to improve their literacy skills and logical thinking.
- Loaded with lights and sound effects that can excite your child
- Helps improve child’s eye-hand coordination and cognitive skills
- Highly interactive cube with rotating gears and in-built microphone
- Suitable for sensory stimulation
- Great gifting idea for occasions like birthdays
- Some children may find the toy a little complex
- Does not come with volume controls
5. Best For Logical Development: Hape Country Critters Wooden Activity Cube
One of the most stimulating and high-quality wooden activity cubes for babies, this one features cute little animals on multiple sides. A thrilling hub of activity, toddlers can get the colored mammal heads in a straight line to match the color-coded bubbles, the rotating honeycomb will send the bee on whichever path he wants to go, and your child can help the fish and bugs escape from the frog’s giant mouth. This mini activity cube is made of solid wood that ensures durability.
- Toy is coated with non-toxic, water-based paint.
- Certified by Forest Stewardship Council
- Develops problem-solving, logical thinking, and motor skills
- Compact and comprehensive build
- May not be suitable for children below three years of age
- May be smaller than expected
"It was very easy to assemble this cube and its vibrant colors have come in handy to improve my child’s color recognition skills. Its five sides featuring different activities also keep him from getting bored. The cube’s paint did chip when my child dropped it from a height but overall it has been serving the purpose well."
6. Best For STEM Learning:Play 22 Activity Cube With Bead Maze
With this set, your child will never see a dull second. Made of non-toxic and child-friendly materials, this activity cube comes with five interesting and engaging sides and several differently shaped blocks. One side features number tiles and the other features word tiles. The rest of the sides include a Pathfinder, an abacus, and a shape puzzle. The not-so-complex puzzle cube has hollow spots carved out for your child to insert the correct shape. The top wire and bead section is detachable as well.
- Can help your child learn shapes, colors, how to count, and solve mazes
- Helps build fine motor skills and encourages STEM learning
- Aids critical thinking skills
- Chew-friendly wire and beads section on the top can be detached
- No assembly required
- May have sharp corners
- Beads may crack over time
"I would recommend this cube to any parent looking for a multipurpose cube with interactive features. It makes a great educational toy, and the bead maze on top is completely detachable, making it convenient to store. However, the cube may not withstand extreme rough play."
7. Best For Improving Memory: Top Bright Activity Cube Toys
Perched on top of this play cube is a beaded wire maze that can improve your child’s memory power. It also comes with spinning gears on the back and is flanked by counting beads and sliding insects on the left and right sides. The front of the cube comes with a glorious elephant trunk, which holds a spinning ball. Safe and durable, this elephant-inspired developmental activity cube has soft and well-rounded edges, and only non-toxic water-based paint has been used.
- Cube and elephant structure pose as two unique toys to play with
- Meets ASTM and CPC standards for safety
- Comes with activities to learn numeracy in a fun-filled way
- Made to engage kids for a long time
- Help improve math skills
- Size may be smaller than expected
- Paint may chip off over time
8. Best Entertaining: Fehn Activity Cube
Keeping a newborn baby entertained can be quite the task, but at the same time, it is easy to distract them as well. Before you reach out for your mobile phone or an electronic device to give to your baby, why don’t you try Fehn’s Activity Cube? Made of soft fleece fabric, the cube features plastic circles that rattle with movement. Decorated on all sides with cute animals like a lion and a rabbit, this activity cube is machine washable as well. As it comes with a circular plastic clamp, you can also hang it on your baby’s crib or stroller.
9. Best Multifunctional: Top Bright Activity Cube Wooden Toys
The Top Bright Activity Cube wooden toy is a multi-functional cube with various developmental benefits. It features five sides of interactive activities, including a shape and color sorter, an insect slide, a clock, a bead roller coaster, and spinning gears. Made of high-quality wood, this toy is safe for your child to play with. The vibrant colors and fun designs will keep your child entertained for hours. This wooden activity center can help improve your child’s hand-eye coordination, problem-solving skills, math skills, cognitive skills, and fine motor skills. It is suitable for children aged between one and three years.
- Easy to clean
- Meets ASTM safety standards
- No assembly required
- Easy-to-store box
- May be smaller than expected
- Small parts can be a choking hazard
"It's a joy to watch my little one play with the different elements of this activity cube. The weighted cube is stable and does not topple over even when my little one is roughhousing. Its beads tend to get stuck at times, but the overall benefits outweigh that minor hassle."
10. Best Vibrant: Ulmisfee Activity Cube Toy
This wooden activity cube is child-friendly and coated with non-toxic paints. This tested and trusted cube can encourage your child to recognize shapes, colors, alphabets, numbers, characters, and so forth while enjoying himself. It comes with a clock, a bead maze, an abacus, and a shape sorter to improve their fine motor and problem-solving skills and aid their cognitive development.
- Sturdy build so that your child can sit on it
- Helps improve your child’s color perception
- Intellect systems in this toy can help in shape recognition and hand-eye coordination
- Crafted with wood to be less prone to deformation
- Small parts may pose as a choking hazard if pulled out
- Top part may not stay in place
"The soft pastel colors of this cube are soothing to the eye and gel well with the minimalist decor of my child’s nursery. And while it's smaller than I expected, it has proven to be a great companion for my child during travel."
11. Best Multifaceted: ToyVelt Activity Cube For Toddlers
With this cube, you can rest assured that your child will never see a moment of boredom. Armed with six different and fun skillful activities, your child is in for a treat with this learning cube. It features shape-matching pieces in different shapes, colorful gears and beads, a steering wheel, a door that can be locked with a key, a musical piano, and an old-school rotary dial phone. Thus, it stands out as both a learning and creative cube, promoting literacy skills and other diverse skills in your child.
- Multifaceted activities for for stimulating imagination and creativity
- Sides of the activity cube are detachable and can be laid flat on the floor
- Cube can be used as a building toy and puzzle
- BPA-free and made from soft materials
- One side panel may have sharp parts
- Music may not be loud enough
"My little one can’t get enough of this toy as it offers various activities, keeping her occupied for long periods. Although I did expect the construction to be a bit sturdier, it deserves a special mention for its ability to cater to different stages of the child’s development."
12. Best For Teaching Time: Battop Wooden Activity Cube
Made of high-quality wood and non-toxic materials, this multifunctional activity cube will be one of the most useful toys for your toddler. It comes with a bead maze, roller bells, an alphabetical and numerical puzzle, a colorful clock, a ladybug maze, and counting beads to offer many developmental benefits.
- Non-toxic and water-based paint
- Improves problem solving skills.
- Rounded and fine polished corners for reducing chances of injuries
- Promotes time recognition
- Small pieces may fall off from the cube and can pose as a choking hazard
- May be smaller than expected
"The ladybug on this cube instantly caught my little one's attention. He loves to flip the beads and pretend as if he is making the bug walk. Although on the smaller end, the multiple activities on the cube keep my toddler thoroughly occupied. Hence, despite the slight size issue, I am glad I made this purchase."
13. Best For Karaoke: iPlay, iLearn Baby Music Activity Cube Center
Let the sound and music effects of this musical cube take your child on a happy and melodious journey. It features buttons for different instruments like the guitar, trumpet, jazz drum, and bass drum, all of which play soft and simulated rhythms. This electronic activity cube comes with three adjustable volume levels and has a five sides for endless fun.
- Comes with a microphone
- Equipped with a variety of songs
- Develops an interest towards music in child
- Promotes listening skills
- Boosts child’s creativity and imagination
- Not intended for rough handling
- May be smaller than expected
"The speaker equipped handle of this cube keeps my little one entertained even when we are out and about. My child loves the microphone, and I am glad the toy has a convenient and much-needed volume control option, making it easy for me to keep the sound levels under check. Overall, it's been a great find."
14. Best For Storing Toys: Rolimate Wooden Activity Cube
If you are specifically interested in a wooden activity cube made of high-quality wood, you might want to take a look at this one. This expert-approved cube provides five different kinds of games, which include a bead maze, a penguin clock, a rotary crab, and two kinds of fish matching games. It can also withstand a weight of up to 75 kilograms. This type of toy is a must-have in your child’s collection owing to its developmental benefits.
- Can be used to store toys
- Rounded and soft corners make it safe to use
- Certified by CPSIA, ASTM F963, and EN71
- Made from environmentally safe beech wood
- Kids may find the cube a bit bulky
- Pearls may get stuck sometimes
"I am very impressed by the durability, colors, and unique activities offered by this cube. The side with the clock is a big hit in my house, it is also helping with my children’s hand-eye coordination. Plus, the compact design allows me to store and carry the toy with ease."
15. Best Exploration Cube: Top Bright Activity Cube
An activity cube that is also a car; this unique toy will have your child exploring its different facets for a long time. It is a shape sorting cube with features such as spinning gears, color counting beads, and cause-and-effect windows, and as the cube is a car, it can be pushed or pulled. Made of safe and durable natural wood and stained with non-toxic water-based paint, with this cube, you can never go wrong.
How To Choose The Right Activity Cubes?
Consider these pointers to ensure you choose the right product and let your child reap the benefits of activity cubes.
- Safety: When buying an activity cube or any other toy for that matter, make sure that there are no sharp corners. The edges have to be soft and well-rounded to avoid any sort of mishap. Also, choose a cube that is coated with non-toxic water-based paint.
- Small parts: Toddlers are very curious and like to put small parts into their mouths. Choose a cube that doesn’t come with very small pieces. Monitor your child’s activities when he is playing with the cube.
- Various activities: An ideal cube for a toddler would be one that includes numbers, letters, animals, noise effects, and mazes. All of these help in improving your child’s fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, cognitive skills, problem-solving skills, communication skills, and social skills.
- Weight: Ensure that the cube is not too light as it may easily topple over, and not too heavy as well. Look for one with a sturdy base if your child takes support of things when trying to stand up.
- Travel-friendly: If you are looking to take the cube around wherever you go, you need to buy one that is compact and has detachable sides. Some cubes also come with tops that can be removed and sides which can be laid down flat on the floor.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the earliest age I can give an activity cube to my child?
You may introduce your child to an activity cube once they are 18 months old as they start playing with toys (1). However, if you want to give it to your child earlier, look for soft cubes made of cotton or fleece material.
2. Are activity cubes made of safe materials?
It may differ across brands. However, activity cubes by trusted brands are non-toxic, sturdy, and made of eco-friendly materials. In addition, they go through a series of rigorous tests and certifications until they are deemed child-friendly.
3. How should I clean or disinfect an activity cube?
You can clean your activity cube with a solution of rubbing alcohol. Soak a cloth in the solution, gently wipe the activity cube, and let it air dry. However, it also depends on the material of the activity cube. For example, an activity cube made of cloth can easily be hand- or machine-washed.
4. Is it OK for a child to climb on an activity cube?
It is unsafe for your child to climb on an activity cube. Small parts of the cube can poke your child, and they also pose a risk of falling because of their small size.
5. Are wooden activity cubes better?
Yes, wooden activity cubes are great in terms of durability and their sturdy structure.
6. How many curved surfaces does a cube have?
A cube has six flat surfaces and lacks any curved surface.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is a toy and gift aficionado. Her interest in choosing the best activity cubes is backed by her research skills and analyses. Most of the toys in this list have several games that improve a child’s cognitive skills, observational skills, and hand-eye coordination in one piece. Priti has selected toys that would grab a child’s attention and keep them engaged, thereby improving their abilities. She has described each toy’s unique features briefly, along with a buyer’s guide to help you choose the right activity cube.
Cognitive and social skill development and having fun can go hand-in-hand when you invest in the best activity cubes for your children. To help you choose the right one for your little Einstein, we have compiled a list with various types of activity cubes after considering their safety, age requirements, and complexity. Our notable picks include the VTech Sort And Discover Activity Cube to help develop hand-eye coordination and motor skills and the Wolvol Educational Kids Activity Cube with light and sound effects. The Battat Wooden Activity Cube For Babies is another popular gender-neutral cube with many engaging activities. These tried-and-tested cubes help your child recognize colors, shapes, alphabet, and numbers and offer numerous educational benefits. Some even play music for your toddler to dance to. So, choose the right one for your child and keep them engaged productively.
Infographic: Advice For Selecting Children’s Activity Cubes
Activity cubes help promote developmental skills in children, from cognitive to motor skills and enhanced hand-eye coordination. The attractive colors and gameplay can also keep children entertained and attentive for longer. Therefore, if you wish to buy an activity cube for your child, look at our infographic below for some tips.
- Important Milestones: Your Child By Eighteen Months