Introduce your child to activity cubes to help them develop their cognitive and social skills while having fun. So, we have made a list of the best activity cubes for kids to aid in the development of their hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, and cognitive ability. Infants aged 15 months can speak a few words and gestures and point at things to communicate. These activity cubes promote problem-solving skills and help your child express themselves better.
An activity cube can quickly become your child’s favorite toy if they get the hang of it. So, if you are considering an activity cube for the little one to play with, you are in the right place. However, finding the right one can be difficult, with several options to choose from. So, explore our list to find one that suits your child’s interests.
15 Best Activity Cubes
1. Best With Nursery Rhymes: VTech Sort And Discover Activity Cube
With this activity cube, you can keep your child engaged for hours. The musical book plays a unique nursery rhyme on each page, the piano keys light up. The shape sorter comes in 4 different shapes, which will help your child’s motor skills. This video review will help you understand more about the product.
- Plays more than 75 songs, melodies, and phrases
- Comes with activities for introducing children to cookies, music, numbers, animals, and more
- Helps develop hand eye coordination
- Backed by a warranty of 90 days
- Might be smaller than expected
- Cube may not lay flat if the shape sorter side is used
2. Best For Tactile Development: ALEX Toys My Busy Town Wooden Activity Cube
This wooden activity cube has many activities incorporated in it to keep your child engaged. This bright and cheerful activity cube features five sides of fun and includes curvy wire rides, bead mazes, peek-a-boo doors, animal blocks that can be spun and matched. ABC word tiles that can be turned, and also racing rollers. If you are still unsure, check out this honest review.
- Recipient of Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold Seal Award
- Designed to foster tactile development
- Made to engage kids for long time periods
- Suitable for children aged one year and older
- Cube may be easy to knock over
- Children may get their fingers stuck in the cube while playing
3. Best Gender Neutral: Battat Wooden Activity Cube For Babies
Make your little one’s eyes light up and invigorate his mind with the help of this bright and colorful activity cube. Beautifully crafted with solid wood, the five distinctly different sides of this cube features zig-zag beads that go up and down, a multitude of spinners with different animals, cute little window nooks that open to reveal hidden painted animals, and many more. Click this video to learn more about the product.
- Comes in a gender-neutral color
- Recipient of multiple awards
- Heirloom quality wood frame made for added durability
- Improves hand-eye coordination
- May have sharp overhangings
- Paint may chip off over time
4. Best For Improving Cognitive Skills: Wolvol Educational Kids Activity Cube
This little wonder will be your child’s favorite toy in a matter of seconds. No matter which direction the cube is turned, there is something fun to do and something new to learn. Featuring six sides and 15 different activities, one can be confident that the fun will never end.
- Loaded with lights and sound effects that can excite your child
- Helps improve child’s eye-hand coordination and cognitive skills
- Highly interactive with rotating gears and in-built microphone
- Great gifting idea for occasions like birthdays
- Some children may find the toy a little complex
- Does not come with volume controls
5. Best For Logical Development: Hape Country Critters Wooden Activity Cube
One of the most stimulating wooden activity cubes for babies, this one features cute little animals on multiple sides. A thrilling hub of activity, toddlers can get the colored mammal heads in a straight line to match the color-coded bubbles, the rotating honeycomb will send the bee on whichever path he wants to go, and your child can help the fish and bugs escape from the frog’s giant mouth. Made of solid wood, this cube ensures safety and durability.
- Toy is coated with non-toxic, water-based paint.
- Certified by Forest Stewardship Council
- Encourages problem-solving, logic development, and motor skills
- Compact and comprehensive build
- May not be suitable for children below three years of age
- Smaller than expected
6. Best For STEM Learning:Play 22 Activity Cube With Bead Maze
Made of non-toxic and child-friendly materials, this activity cube comes with five interesting and engaging sides and your child will never see a dull second. One side features number tiles, and the other features word tiles. The rest of the sides include a pathfinder, an abacus, and a shape puzzle. The shape puzzle has hollow spots carved out in which your child can insert the correct shape. The top wire and bead section is detachable as well.
- Can help your child learn shapes, colors, how to count, and solve mazes
- Helps build fine motor skills and encourages STEM learning
- Chew-freindly wire and beads section on the top can be detached
- No assembly required
- May have shapr corners
- Beads may crack over time
7. Best For Improving Memory: Top Bright Activity Cube Toys
Perched on top of this activity cube toy is a beaded wire-maze that can improve your child’s memory power. It also comes with spinning gears on the back and is flanked by counting beads and sliding insects on the left and right sides. The front of the cube comes with a glorious elephant trunk, which holds a spinning ball. Safe and durable, this activity cube elephant has no sharp edges, and only non-toxic water-based paint is used.
- Cube and elephant structure pose as two unique toys to play with
- Meets ASTM and CPC standards for safety
- Comes with activities to learn numeracy in a fun-filled way
- Made to engage kids for a long time
- Size may be smaller than expected
- Paint may chip off over time
Keeping a newborn baby entertained can be quite the task, but at the same time, it is easy to distract them as well. Before you reach out for your mobile phone or an electronic device to give to your baby, why don’t you try Fehn’s Activity Cube? Made of soft fleece fabric, the cube features plastic circles that rattle with movement. Decorated on all sides with cute animals like a lion and a rabbit, this activity cube is machine washable as well. As it comes with a circular plastic clamp, you can also hang it on your baby’s crib or stroller.
9. Best Multifunctional: Top Bright Activity Cube Toys
If you are looking for a toy for your toddler or your friend’s toddler, there is no better gift you can give than this one. This multifunctional wooden activity cube features seven sides of endless fun activities. It comes with color counting beads, wooden bead maze, rainbow gears, a colorful shape sorter, a teaching clock, and an animal flip board, among other things.
- Complies with CPC and ASTM safety standards
- Comes with features to improve child’s motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Made with animal faces to engage children for long periods of time
- Enhances hand-eye coordination
- May not be sturdy enough to be used as a support
- Smaller than expected
10. Best Vibrant: Ulmisfee Activity Cube Toy
This wooden activity cube is child-friendly and coated with non-toxic paints. This cube can encourage your child to recognize shapes, colors, alphabets, numbers, characters, and so forth, all while enjoying himself. It comes with a clock, a bead maze, an abacus, and a shape sorter to balance out body movements, and aid in his problem-solving and cognitive development.
- Sturdy build so that your child can sit on it
- Helps improve your child’s color perception
- Intellect systems in this toy can help in shape recognition and hand-eye coordination
- Crafted with wood to be less prone to deformation
- Small parts may pose as a choking hazard if pulled out
- Top part may not stay in place
11. Best Multifaceted: ToyVelt Activity Cube For Toddlers
With this cube, you can rest assured that your child will never see a moment of boredom. Armed with six different and fun learning activities, your child is in for a treat. It features shape-matching pieces in different shapes, colorful gears and beads, a steering wheel, a door that can be locked with a key, a musical piano, and an old-school rotary dial phone.
- Multifaceted activities for for stimulating imagination and creativity
- Sides of the activity cube are detachable and can be laid flat on the floor
- Cube can be used as a building toy and puzzle
- BPA-free and made from soft materials
- One side panel may have sharp parts
- Music may not be loud enough
12. Best For Teaching Time Recognition: Battop Wooden Activity Cube
Made of high-quality wood and non-toxic materials, this multifunctional activity cube will be one of the most useful toys for your toddler. It comes with a bead maze, roller bells, an alphabetical and numerical puzzle, a colorful clock, a ladybug maze, and counting beads.
- Non-toxic and water-based paint
- Improves problem solving skills.
- Rounded and fine polished corners for reducing chances of injuries
- Promotes time recognition
- Small pieces may fall off from the cube and can pose as a choking hazard
- May be smaller than expected
13. Best For Karaoke: iPlay, iLearn Baby Music Activity Cube Center
Let the sound and music effects of this musical activity cube take your child on a happy and melodious journey. It features buttons for different instruments like the guitar, trumpet, jazz drum, and bass drum, all of which play soft and simulated rhythms. It comes with three adjustable volume levels and has a total of five sides.
- Comes with a microphonet
- Equipped with a variety of songs
- Develops an interest towards music in child
- Promotes listening skills
- Boosts child’s creativity and imagination
- Not intended for rough handling
- May be smaller than expected
14. Best For Storing Toys: Rolimate Wooden Activity Cube
If you are specifically interested in a wooden activity cube made of high-quality wood, you might want to take a look at this one. This cube provides five different kinds of games, which include a bead maze, a penguin clock, a rotary crab, and two kinds of fish matching games. It can also withstand a weight of upto 75 kilograms.
- Can be used to store toys
- Rounded and soft corners make it safe to use
- Certified by CPSIA, ASTM F963, and EN71
- Made from environmentally safe beech wood
- Kids may find the cube a bit bulky
- Pearls may get stuck sometimes
An activity cube that is also a car; this unique toy will have your child exploring its different facets for a long time. Its various activities include shape sorting pieces, spinning gears, color counting beads, cause-and-effect windows, and as the cube is a car, it can be pushed or pulled. Made of safe and durable natural wood and stained with non-toxic water-based paint, with this cube, you can never go wrong.
How To Choose The Right Activity Cubes
When buying an activity cube or any other toy for that matter, make sure that there are no sharp corners. The edges have to be soft and well-rounded to avoid any sort of mishap. Also, choose a cube that is coated with non-toxic water-based paint.
2. Small parts
Toddlers are very curious and like to put small parts into their mouths. Choose a cube that doesn’t come with very small pieces. Monitor your child’s activities when he is playing with the cube.
3. Various activities
An ideal cube for a toddler would be one that includes numbers, letters, animals, noise effects, and mazes. All of these put together help in improving your child’s fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, cognitive development, problem-solving skills, and also his social skills.
Ensure that the cube is not too light as it may easily topple over, and not too heavy as well. Look for one with a sturdy base if your child takes support of things when trying to stand up.
If you are looking to take the cube around wherever you go, you need to buy one that is compact and has detachable sides. Some cubes also come with tops that can be removed and sides which can be laid down flat on the floor.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is a toy and gift aficionado. Her interest in choosing the best activity cubes is backed by her research skills and analyses. Most of the toys in this list have several games that improve a child’s cognitive skills, observational skills, and hand-eye coordination in one piece. Priti has selected toys that would grab a child’s attention and keep them engaged, thereby improving their abilities. She has described each toy’s unique features briefly, along with a buyer’s guide to help you choose the right activity cube.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the earliest age I can give an activity cube to my child?
You may introduce your child to an activity cube once they are 18 months old as they start playing with toys (1). However, if you want to give it to your child earlier, look for soft cubes made of cotton or fleece material.
2. Are activity cubes made of safe materials?
It may differ across brands. However, activity cubes by trusted brands are non-toxic, sturdy, and made of eco-friendly materials. In addition, they go through a series of rigorous tests and certifications until they are deemed child-friendly.
3. How should I clean or disinfect an activity cube?
You can clean your activity cube with a solution of rubbing alcohol. Soak a cloth in the solution, gently wipe the activity cube, and let it air dry. However, it also depends on the material of the activity cube. For example, an activity cube made of cloth can easily be hand- or machine-washed.
4. Is it OK for a child to climb on an activity cube?
It is unsafe for your child to climb on an activity cube. Small parts of the cube can poke your child, and they also pose a risk of falling because of their small size.
5. Are wooden activity cubes better?
Yes, wooden activity cubes are great in terms of durability and their sturdy structure.
6. How many curved surfaces does a cube have?
A cube has six flat surfaces and lacks any curved surface.
Cognitive and social skill development and having fun can go hand-in-hand when you invest in the best activity cubes for your children. To help you choose the right one for your little Einstein, we have compiled a list of activity cubes after considering their safety, age requirements, and complexity. These cubes cover a range of activities to help your child recognize colours, shapes, alphabets, and numbers. Some of them even play music that your toddler can dance to. So choose the right one for your child and keep them engaged in a productive way.
- Important Milestones: Your Child By Eighteen Months