Air mattresses are useful for camping and overnight outdoor picnic or backpacking trips. If you are planning a trekking expedition, you may want to get the best air mattresses for camping. This post will help you buy one for your trip.
Air mattresses listed below are puncture-resistant, waterproof, self-inflatable, made from micro-coil layers to resist outdoor elements while sleeping. Here, you will find well-researched air mattresses for camping, along with tips on choosing a suitable air mattress for a comforting sleep in your outdoor stay.
Our Top Picks
15 Best Air Mattresses For Camping
The SoundAsleep Dream Series queen size air mattress is designed with comfort coil technology and a sure grip bottom, which reinforce the bed to maintain its firmness and shape. The 40 internal air coils give a flat sleeping surface for both single sleepers and couples. It is 19 inches high and keeps the sleeper way above the ground level.
- Built-in pump for easy inflation and deflation
- Inflates in four minutes and stays inflated for days
- Withstands a weight of 500lb
- Comes in twin, twin XL, and king sizes
- Extra thick and durable waterproof PVC top
- Multilayer 15 gauge puncture-resistant material
- Provides suction grip on hard and flat surfaces
- Carry bag included for easy folding and storage
- Relatively heavy mattress
- Takes up a lot of space
Shop Related Products:
Constructed with enhanced coil technology, this King Koil air mattress provides extra spinal support while sleeping. If you are seeking a luxurious stay in camping, this queen bed could be a good option, thanks to its built-in pillow. It comes with a thick quilt for added comfort and to promote sound sleep.
- High-quality, puncture-resistant top PVC combined with a soft flocking layer
- Prevents normal wear and tear
- Flocking layer on both the top and sides
- Waterproof and durable
- Built-in high-speed pump to adjust the inflation until it stays firm
- Separate inflation and deflation valves
- Reaches full inflation in two minutes
- 20in height designed for ease of getting in and out of the bed
- Could make a bit of noise
- May seem smaller for taller people
Shop Related Products:
If you are worn out from camping on a rocky, rough, or chilly terrain, you can make it through this Sleepingo’s insulated camping pad. The 2.2in thick water and rip-resistant mat is designed with interconnected air cells that adjust depending on your resting level. It measures around 75x23in and is suitable for both tall and short campers.
- Noise-free and flexible nylon material
- Neither rocks nor twigs would puncture the mat
- Remains inflated throughout the night
- R-value (a measure of resistance to heat flow) of 2.1 gives warmth in colder nights
- Lightweight, super sturdy, and comfortable
- Foldable to a size of thin water bottle that is easy to carry
- Valve option to inflate the bed
- May deflate quickly
- May not provide enough cushioning
Shop Related Products:
The Wellax ultralight air sleeping pad, with its inflating mat dimensions of 78x24x2.5in, is ideal for any outdoor activity, including camping, backpacking, and traveling. Its air-sprung cells mimic the feel of a standard mattress, and it is both grippy and cushiony.
- Offers relaxation to the back muscles and keeps you warm
- Nylon and TPU layer offers the right balance between lightweight and sturdiness
- Does not wobble or bottom out
- Waterproof, tear-resistant, and reflects heat
- Does not make a squeaky or crinkly noise
- Two flat valves for inflation and deflation
- Inflates with seven to nine breaths
- R-21 insulation that gives you extreme warmth
- Valves may be hard to open
- May be uncomfortable for side sleepers
- Not suitable for heavyweight sleepers
Shop Related Products:
Constructed from puncture-resistant PVC, the Noble queen size air mattress is built to last long. The soft flocking top gives extra comfort to the sleeper. It rises to 18in from the ground, making it easy to get in and out of bed.
- Pillow-like top flocking for extra comfort
- Built-in 120V AC pump for easy inflation and deflation
- Inflates in three minutes
- Inflated bed dimensions are 80x58x18in, and is ample space for sleeping comfortably
- Thick and durable waterproof quilt gives good support to the body
- Ultra-suede top prevents wobbling
- May give a peculiar smell
- May lose air easily
At just 5.6lb, this air mattress is lightweight and easy to carry around. Constructed with a revolutionary fabric, it is both phthalate-free and PVC free. When inflated, the bed dimensions are 80.1×55.1×7.1in, and when packed, it is 16.5×8.9×8.9in.
- Two-way Boston valve adds firmness
- Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) lamination for superior durability
- Suitable for standard queen size sheets
- Keeps temperature stable and abrasion-resistant
- Battery-operated pump for easy inflation
- Patented stabilizer system spreads the weight evenly and minimizes bounce
- Small in height, and closer to the ground
- Batteries are not included
The Intex Dura-Beam offers a comfortable sleeping surface with its multiple air chambers that evenly provide support to the body. A good alternative to double-height beds, a 16in bed makes it easy to get in and out of bed. It is a queen size bed that fits with the standard sheets.
- Dura beam interior construction gives maximum support and durability
- Lightweight and high strength fibers
- Luxurious flocked top and sides
- Internal electric pump for quick inflation and deflation
- Option for manual pumping of air
- Covered with a soft velvety top
- Convenient carry bag for easy storage and transportation
- May not hold air for a longer time
- May form bumps in the middle
Measuring 18 inches thick, Coleman’s double-high support rest air mattress is suitable for most sleepers regardless of their sleep position and weight. It features a flocked cover and built-in airtight system that offers a good sleep. You will get it in both twin and queen sizes.
- Interior coil construction takes the shape of the body for better support
- Plush flocking top for improved comfort levels
- Extra height to easily to get in and out of the bed
- Dual-seal valve keeps it firm
- Reinforced construction adds stability
- Suitable for standard queen size sheets
- Withstands up to 600lb. weight
- May not hold air for a long time
- Size may not be as expected
- May give a strange smell
This premier microfiber air mattress with a silky soft flocking top gives you a feeling of sleeping on a cloud. It is 20% more abrasion-resistant, 20% more puncture-resistant, and features about 30% more tensile strength that other such mattresses. The thermo-regulating microfiber will not cause you to overheat or chill.
- Reinforced internal coil beams offer stability and support
- Stretches to holds air intact
- Maintains shape and does not deform in the long run
- Welded seams give strength
- Weights just 12.8lb
- Compact and foldable to a portable size
- Output pump of 120V/210W for quicker inflation
- Inflates within 90 seconds
- Motor pump might make a noise
- Smaller than standard queen size
The SleepReady mattress could be one of the best air mattresses because of its CertiPUR-US memory foam construction that is free from phthalates, lead, mercury, ozone depleters, and fire retardants. It sets up in no time, thanks to its unclip and roll-out mechanism. You will get in twin, kids, and single bed sizes.
- Made of three-inch memory foam that contours the body for support
- Comfy hypoallergenic waterproof cover
- Easy-to-carry storage bag with a convenient handle
- Quick and painless setup
- Cotton terry and polyester fabric sleep
- Premium stitching with zippers and fasteners
- Machine-washable cover
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Could be bulky and too large
- May feel thin for some people
Designed with the latest I-beam air coils, it provides gentle support to the spine offering a soundless sleep. The double-layered material prevents leakage of air, and it can hold about 661lb. When inflated, the air mat dimensions are 90x60x17in, and when deflated, they are 13×7.5×15.5in.
- Top flocking layer on eco-friendly PVC
- Adjusts according to your weight, shape, and sleeping posture
- Raised air mattress gives support to your head and neck
- Skin-friendly and waterproof cover
- Built-in electric pump that takes three to five minutes for inflation
- Deflates to a small size for easy carrying
- May cause noise when inflating
- Mixed reviews on dimensions
You can enhance your sleeping experience with this OlarHike inflating sleep pad even without adding extra sheets. The soft flocking fabric surface offers you that cozy homely feeling. Ideal for one person, you can also use it as a guest bed in a smaller room or in RV travel.
- Upgraded 35% thick material for added comfort
- Includes an electric handheld pump and extra car adapter
- Nine-inch mattress supporting up to 300lb weight
- Insulates from the cold and wet ground
- Upgraded seams and weld crafting keep it firm and airtight
- Ideal for sandy beaches, hiking, camping and backpacking trips
- Free pillow for extra comfort levels
- Too thin for some
- Requires electricity for functioning
The AirExpect inflatable air mattress is made for adventure camping with puncture-resistant and waterproof, extra thick PVC material. It uses Duracoil technology, including 40 internal air coils that give the right support to the spine and the body. The air mat dimensions are 80x39x19in.
- Integrated raised pillow designed for a sound sleep
- Raises to nine inches from the ground
- Withstands weight of 600lb
- Rechargeable wireless built-in pump for quick inflation
- Inflates within 90 seconds to desires firmness
- Includes a storage bag for easy carrying
- PVC emits a peculiar odor
- Twin size is a bit narrow
The EnerPlex queen size airbed is designed to be supportive and firm promoting spinal alignment. It includes a high-speed pump that allows you to inflate the bed to your desired comfort level. The pump comes with three universal nozzles that could be used for other inflatables too.
- Puncture-resistant PVC that withstands prolonged use
- Soft top flocking offers comfort and durability
- Airtight seal inside the valve prevents leakage
- Rechargeable travel pump
- Anti-slip bottom prevents wobbling on tile and wood floors
- Offers two-year quality promise
- Easily foldable into a compact carrying case
- Mixed reviews on deflation
- Valve may be faulty
The EZ Inflate luxury air mattress features an upgraded eco-friendly top flocking for added comfort. You can use this queen size mattress without sheets. It could be folded compactly for easy storage and creates an ideal sleeping space at your home too.
- Coil beam technology adds support and stability
- Comes with a two-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Wide sleeping area that accommodates two people
- Includes a built-in pump that inflates within 90sec
- Withstands up to 600lb weight
- Puncture resistant PVC that is durable
- Allows you to customize firmness by inflating or deflating
- Some may find it heavier
- May not be ideal for taller people
How To Choose The Right Air Mattress For Camping?
Consider the following factors to choose the correct camping mattress for your needs.
- Weight: Air mattresses come in heavier and lighter modes. It depends on the material used for the construction. Heavier ones are made of thick material, last longer, and work well for those with kids. If you are a camper who is into trekking, hiking, or rock climbing, prefer a lighter one.
- Pump: Most of the air mattresses include their pumps. Some have electric pumps that inflate the bed quicker, while some are rechargeable and battery-operated that do not need electricity. Some have built-in, and some offer external pumps.
- Size: Consider the size of the bed, depending on where you will place it and how you will use it. Air mattresses are available in king, queen, twin, and single bed sizes.
- Cover: Flocked covers provide more warmth and resistance from slipping than non-flocked covers. Also, flocked surfaces are antimicrobial and waterproof, making them ideal for outdoor sleeping.
- Reviews: Read the reviews of popular brands to find a good air mattress. Compare the charts and specifications to conclude what is best for you.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our skilled product writers and reviewers understand the demands of outdoor adventurers. In this well-researched article, we suggest some of the best air mattresses for camping and outdoor use after reviewing and comparing various products on different websites. We have also mentioned the pros and cons of each product and included a buying guide to assist you in selecting the right product for your needs.
The best air mattresses can enhance your every trekking, camping, or hiking experience by providing you with a cozy, comfortable, and convenient place to sleep in the outdoors. These can also serve as an extra bed for guests at home. When buying one, ensure it is waterproof, easy to inflate, puncture-proof, and resistant to outdoor elements. Besides, check its weight, pump type, and size. You may also want to check the quality of the cove and ensure the mattress is portable.