If family movie nights are a tradition in your home, we have made a list of the best funny English movies for kids to help you out. Watching movies together can be a great way to spend quality time with your family. However, when you have children, you need to ensure the movies are child-friendly and wholesome. Our list includes funny, entertaining films suitable for all age groups. So, if you’re confused about which funny English movies are appropriate for your children to watch, look no further. You can browse our list of films to pick one for your next movie night.
25 Best Funny English Movies For Kids To Watch In 2023
Here is our list of the classic kids Christmas movies of all times that your tots will absolutely love to watch, and so will you:
1. Best Spooky Movie: A Charlie Brown Christmas
- The movie A Charlie Brown Christmas revolves around the character named Charlie Brown and shows the various ups and downs in Charlie Brown’s life.
- The movie shows the real feeling of Christmas as against the way it has been turned into a commercial thing in these times.
- At the start, Charlie Brown is sad that Christmas has become more like a job for people, but soon there are various things that make Charlie Brown happy again.
- This amusing film for young audiences also has some wonderful music that your kids will enjoy.
2. Best For Entertainment: The Nightmare Before Christmas
- The movie The Nightmare Before Christmas is not really a scary movie but a spooky movie that will also make your kids laugh and enjoy.
- It is a fascinating, stop-motion animated movie based on a poem by Tim Burton.
- The Christmas movie for kids revolves around the pumpkin king of Halloween, Jack Skellington, who has become bored of doing the same thing over and over again each Halloween.
- Now Jack discovers Christmastown and plans something different. He decides to kidnap Santa Claus and make things exciting.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas is a fun giggle-inducing film for children that combines the best of the spirit of Halloween and the joy of Christmas.
3. Best Adventure Movie: The Santa Claus
- The movie The Santa Claus is about a father who is upset because his ex-wife has told their son that Santa Claus is not a real person at all.
- On Christmas Eve, as the father is reading out The Night Before Christmas to his son, he hears someone who seems to be climbing on the roof.
- It is actually Santa Claus, who gets startled when the father calls out and falls down. As Santa Claus vanishes, he leaves behind his sleigh with the eight reindeer attached to it.
- Now that Santa Claus is gone, the father will have to take over his place and do what Santa Claus does on Christmas, by delivering presents to all the kids around the world.
4. Best Adventure Movie: Arthur Christmas
- The movie Arthur Christmas revolves around the character who goes by the same name as Arthur Christmas.
- Arthur lives in the North Pole with Santa Claus, and it is his responsibility to make sure that all the kids around the world receive their Christmas presents on time.
- The fun-filled English movie for kids aims to answer the one most asked questions that kids all around the world seem to have in relation to Christmas – how does Santa Claus manage to give gifts to all the kids on the same day all over the world?
5. Best Comedy Movie: National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- The silly kid’s movie National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation revolves around the character Clark Griswold and is an extremely funny movie.
- All Clark wants is to have a simple and traditional Christmas celebration with his family.
- But instead, it seems that everything is set to go just wrong and nothing seems to work for him the way he planned it.
- Clark’s brother comes up and parks his RV in the driveway, creating many problems, while his cat gets electrocuted with the wires that are used to light up the Christmas tree.
- With so much going on and so much drama happening, it seems Clark will not really have that quiet, traditional and simple Christmas time he was hoping for after all.
Best Family Holiday Movies
We usually get overwhelmed and often get indecisive about what all activities to indulge in to make our bond stronger. Here is a compilation of some of the most loved family holiday movies.
1. Best Children’s Comedy: Home Alone
Released in the year 1990, the movie turned out to be a blockbuster hit at the box office and still continues to be one of the most loved family movies.
- It is the story of a little boy who is left back home while the other members of his family go to France. This 8-year-old boy then guards his house against some reckless burglars.
- The movie is loved for its rib-tickling humor and makes an ideal witty English comedy for young viewers.
2. Best Classic Movie: Children Of Heaven
This is an Iranian family drama released back in 1997. The movie revolves around a brother sister duo. As the story begins, the brother accidentally loses his sister’s shoes.
- Scared to share the incident with their parents, who are already going through major financial crises, the two plan to share the brother’s shoes.
- The story has been knit very aptly and the child artists have done a commendable job.
3. Best 3D Movie: The Adventures Of Tintin
The 2011 release includes the story of a brave reporter Tintin and Captain Haddock. During the course of the film, the two go out for a fascinating treasure hunt in a sunken ship that was commanded by Haddock’s ancestors.
- This 3D motion capture computer animated adventure movie has an intriguing plot that is sure to keep you hooked on to the screen until the end.
- The movie is based on the famous comic series by the same name. If you and your family enjoy watching thrilling and adventure movies, then this is a must watch for you.
4. Best Movie About Animals: Babe
The comical family-friendly film is about a baby pig that grows up in a farm and desires to be a sheepdog. Will his dream come true?
- The movie is set in a working farm, and the kids will have a ball checking out the various animals that live in the farm.
- A heartwarming holiday movie for all ages, this movie teaches kids the value of dreaming and following through what you believe.
5. Best Christmas Movie: Polar Express
The Polar Express is a computer-animated Christmas film, which tells the story of a child who has grave doubts about Christmas.
- On Xmas Eve, a young boy finds a grand train waiting on his doorstep. He has been invited to take a journey on the Polar Express!
- Does he get on the train? Yes, he does… watch the humorous family movie to join him on his spellbinding adventure.
Funny English Movies For Kids
Here are some of the best English movies for kids that you should make sure them to watch:
1. Charlotte’s Web
Charlotte’s Web is a lighthearted English comedy for kids that was made in the year 1973. It was originally adapted from the classic book of the same name by author E.B. White.
- The story is about a spider named Charlotte who is very smart and who spins a web of words to help save a pig named Wilbur.
- The love and sacrifice that Charlotte shows towards Wilbur makes him feel very special and loved.
- The movie will teach your kid about the importance of love, friendship and being kind. It also teaches how it is important to be there for something you feel is important.
- The music in the movie is also very nice and will appeal to kids.
2. Hachiko A Dog’s Tale
Hachiko A Dog’s Tale is an enriching movie that was based on a true incident that happened with a dog and his master.
- The movie is about the professor Parker Wilson who one day happens to find a puppy who has been abandoned at the railway station near his house. He takes it home for the night, planning to take it back and return it to the owner the next day.
- However, when no one shows up, Professor Wilson and his family decides to keep the puppy with them.
- Soon the puppy becomes a very important part of the professor’s family and is a family member.
- To this day, there is a statue of the dog Hachiko at the railway station where he was found and where he used to sit in wait for his master.
3. Monsters, Inc.
Monsters Inc. is not really a scary movie but more so a cute and laugh-out-loud children’s movie that can make your kids super happy.
- The idea behind the movie starts from the thought that asks if there is really a monster under your kid’s bed.
- This cute and funny movie is about a blue-furred monster called Sulley and the fascinating one-eyed monster called Mike, who is also Sulley’s assistant.
- Both of them work in the world of monsters known as Monsters Inc and their job is to collect the screams of kids. The more screams they get the better the monster world will function.
- When Sulley meets a little girl who is not afraid of him, things start getting all out of control in Monster’s Inc.
4. The Harry Potter Series
The Harry Potter series is a spectacular movie series that you can introduce your kids to at different ages.
- It is based on the much-acclaimed book series by the same name that was written by the author J.K Rowling.
- The story is about a little boy called Harry Potter who lives in sad conditions with his uncle and aunt. He is freed from their cruel behavior by the wizard world, which claims that Harry is a part of them.
- The movie revolves around boarding schools, school sports, school friendships, witches, wizards, fighting magical creatures and more.
- Start by showing the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone to kids who are aged seven or above, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to kids who are aged eight or above, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban to kids who are aged ten or above and the remaining to kids who are aged 12 or more.
5. Finding Nemo
Finding Nemo is the story of Nemo, a fish kid who does not listen to his father and is taken away from the safe world he knew till now.
- This fun-filled English movie for kids was made in the year 2003 and is about Nemo, who heads out on an adventure while trying to get back to his father.
- Nemo is a little fish who lives with his father but loves exploring around. One day, as he does not listen to his father again, he gets caught by divers and is taken away.
- While his father tries to reach him, Nemo also tries many different ways to come back to his father, and meets lots of new characters on the way.
Hugo is a jovial family movie that was made in the year 2011.
- The movie Hugo is based on the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.
- The spectacular movie tells the story of a young boy named Hugo who wants to unlock the secret that his father left behind.
- In his attempt to understand the answer to the secret, he transforms his own life as well as that of those around him.
7. Miracle On 34th Street
Miracle On 34th Street is a 1947 classic movie.
- The funny kid’s movie tells the story about a man who dresses up as Santa Claus and entertains kids at a department store.
- It is also the story about a nine year old girl who believes that you should always be nice and kind to those around you.
The movie Annie came out in the year 1982 and is set in the 1930s.
- It is the story of a small girl who lives in an orphanage.
- Little Annie has to go through a lot of trouble due to a very cruel woman named Miss Hannigan.
- However, it seems that Annie will have a better life, when a nice rich lady chooses Annie to live with her.
9. Mary Poppins
Mary Poppins is based on the books by the author P. L. Travers.
- It tells the story about a banker father and his two kids who are very naughty.
- To help manage the kids, he hires a nanny who also has some magical and mysterious qualities that make the kids love.
Paddington is a 2015 movie.
- Based on the book of the same name, Paddington tells the story of the young Peruvian bear who is named Paddington.
- He has been sent to the city by his grandmother and tries to find a home where he can stay.
- As he is lost, he is taken in by a family with two kids and their parents.
- Everything looks perfect till a museum taxidermist spots him and wants to capture him.
Halloween Movies For Kids
Here is our list of good Halloween movies for kids that are fun and spooky:
The movie is suitable for kids aged 6 and above.
A popular children’s horror book by Neil Gaiman inspired the movie.
The fascinating movie revolves around Coraline, who is unhappy and lonely in the new house she has moved into with her parents.
One day she discovers a hidden door where she finds more caring and attentive versions of her parents! The little girl gets torn between her feelings for her real parents and the hidden version she discovers.
What happens when Coraline gets trapped by these seemingly loving new parents? Can she escape and rescue her real parents? One of the best Halloween movies for kids.
2. It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
This is a hilarious English film for kids.
The pumpkin is the star here, as Linus waits in the pumpkin patch with hope and expectation.
The movie also has loads of fun elements like costume, trick or treating, apple bobbing and more.
It is an ideal watch for kids aged four.
Can Halloween come with a secret? This fascinating Halloween movie for kids comes with a secret.
Marnie Piper loves Halloween, but her mother does not want her to celebrate the festival.
Things take a turn when the audience finds out that the mother is a witch!
During her grandmother’s visit, Marnie decides to go with her to Halloweentown.
The whimsical children’s comedy is an ideal watch for kids who are at least seven years old.
4. The Witches
What if your kid suddenly stumbled upon a group of scheming witches?
Luke is on a seaside trip with his grandmother. He stumbles upon a group of scheming witches who are planning to kill all the children.
He tries to stop them. But it is hard for him, as they turn him into a mouse!
It is an entertaining and hilarious film for the whole family.
If your kid finds his younger sibling troublesome, this movie will be the perfect watch for him.
Sarah is fed up with her baby brother and wishes the goblins take him away.
The King of Goblins takes away her baby brother and keeps him in a labyrinth.
Sarah has only 13 hours to find her baby brother.
This cheeky movie is apt for kids who are above eight years of age.
Make sure you watch the above movies recommended above along with your kids to relive and enjoy the joys of being young and innocent.
How To Choose The Right Funny English Movies For Kids?
Here is a list of factors to consider when selecting a suitable movie for your child.
- Age-appropriacy: Choose a movie based on its ratings to ensure it is suitable for young children. You can look up the plot to determine if your child can understand it. Try to watch out for the trailers and check reviews by parents.
- Inappropriate content: Ensure that chosen comedy movie for children is devoid of inappropriate content, including violence and foul language.
Elisabeth Daly, a blogger, book and movie reviewer, and English teacher, says, “Watching funny movies with family creates opportunities for bonding. However, be sure to check the film’s age rating to ensure your child does not see or hear anything that’s inappropriate.”
- Interest: Choose a movie based on your child’s preferences. From Christmas-themed adventures and animal-themed stories to fantasy and spooky films, pick one that will keep your child entertained.
- Message: Consider choosing a movie with a social or personal message. Comedy movies use humor to convey important themes. Your child can learn new values while having fun.
- Visuals: Choose a movie with vibrant animation, pictures, and effects to offer your child an immersive experience.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Family movie nights are a cherished tradition in many households. So, if you love watching movies with your family, Wedetso Chirhah, writer, editor, and reviewer, has compiled a list of funny English movies for kids. After a thorough study of the reviews and content, he brings you a collection of the most engaging and funny child-friendly movies that are delightful to watch. He ensures these movies are appropriate for all ages.
In many households, movie nights are a sacred tradition that keeps everyone involved and serves as a great bonding experience for the entire family. Of course, a core part of the process is to pick out movies that children and adults alike would love. The best Funny English movies are not only wholesome and kid-friendly but also super-entertaining for anyone. These movies come in a wide range of themes to make you laugh, cry, and exclaim in delight with your kids.
Infographic: Things To Consider When Choosing Funny Movies For Children
Watching a funny movie can fill your family’s movie nights with fun and laughter. A comedy movie that evokes laughter brings the family together and lightens the mood. Read through the infographic to learn about the factors you should consider when choosing a funny movie for children.
- Media and Children
- Best Animal Movies For Kids
- Best Movies For Toddlers
- Best Dinosaur Movies For Kids
- Best Teen Pregnancy Movies