If you are on the lookout for the best animal toys for boys and girls, you have come to the right place. Children love animal and farm-themed toys, and they are sure to collect all the animals to play with. These toys are adorable and act as excellent educational tools for kids. The more toys you introduce to your child, the more it will help them learn about the animal kingdom and the different sounds they make. They also encourage children to explore, imagine and be creative.
Animal toys are often crafted with great detail that helps create curiosity in little ones and keep them engaged for hours. With plenty of options to choose from, you can either opt for fuzzy animal-themed soft toys or choose wooden toys, animal playsets, stickers, animal puzzles, animal puppets, animal-themed building blocks, and more. To help you find the perfect toy for your munchkin, we have compiled a list of animal toys for kids.
13 Best Animal Toys
1. Best Scented: Whiffies S’mores Collectible Animals
This collectible animal set by Whiffies includes three cute squirrel characters: Gabby Graham, Marni Mallow, and Cocoa Carly. Each character measures 2.13 x 8.25 x 7.25 inches and features a unique, s’mores-scented, and colorful fluffy tail. Gabby Graham has a graham cracker scent; Marni Mallow has a toasted marshmallow scent; and Cocoa Carly has a sweet milk chocolate scent. Collect all the Whiffies characters and twist their tails in tandem to create delicious-smelling combinations such as strawberry banana, birthday cake, and mint chocolate.
- Soft and easy to hold
- Features bright colors
- Includes a collector’s sheet
- Characters have detailed features
- Ideal for ages five and up
- Might need slight support to stay upright
- Some might find the tail short
2. Best With Songs: Gund Flappy The Elephant Animated Plush
Meet the adorable singing elephant, Flappy, that comes to life with the push of a button and features two play modes to keep your child entertained. This entertaining and huggable elephant toy measures 7.7 x 10.5 x 12 inches and requires three AA batteries to provide entertainment. Press Flappy’s left foot to make him hide behind his oversized ears and play peek-a-boo with your baby. Press his right foot to hear a playful song in a child’s voice while his ears flap to the rhythm, and press either of his feet for three seconds to adjust its volume.
- Enhanced audio output
- Baby-safe embroidery
- Unisex design
- Ideal for six months old and up
- May not be suitable for machine-washing
- Some song styles may vary
3. Best For Cuddles: Jellycat Bashful Blush Bunny Stuffed Animal
This blush-colored stuffed bunny by Jellycat is an ideal cuddly companion for your child. It is made from polyester, and the eyes are plastic pellets. The adorable animal toy measures 12.2 x 9.84 x 9.84 inches and is available in two sizes to suit children of different ages. Besides, this stuffed bunny is also suitable for newborns, making it a trusted choice among parents.
- Soft to touch
- Ideal for gifting
- Gender neutral design
- Can be spot-cleaned
- May not withstand rough washing
- May not be easy to maintain
4. Best Engaging: Boley Farm Animal Figurines
Your child is simply going to love this set of 15 adorable toy farm animals with their young ones that are intricately detailed and realistic looking. They include a cute looking pig and piglet, a cow and calf, a rooster and chicken with chicks, a horse and foal, two geese, an adult and baby mule, and a sheep and lamb. Made of durable material and safe plastic, they are beautifully painted and have a textured surface for enhanced sensory stimulation. They are sturdy enough to withstand quite a bit of rough play and follow safety standards approved by ASTM, ICTI Care, and Sedex. These trusted barnyard domestic animal toys are sure to delight your toddler, keep them engaged, and provide hours of entertainment.
- Develops fine motor skills
- Introduces children to animals
- Enhances vocabulary
- Encourages sensory learning
- Introduces storytelling technique
- Serves as a collectible for animal lovers as well
- Some animals may not stand as expected
- Paint may chip off
5. Best For Open-Ended Play: Manhattan Toy Nursing Nina Cat Stuffed Animal
Meet Nina, the mama cat, and her three adorable kittens that cuddle up to their mama. The kittens have magnets in their mouths that attach to the ones in the mama cat’s inner pouch to keep the cat family close. These kittens act as functional toys with or without their mother. The nursing cat is made of ultra-soft fabric and has embroidered facial features and paws. According to the reviewers, it is an ideal animal toy for developing children’s social skills through open-ended play.
- Serves educational purposes
- Can help develop caretaking skills
- Surface-washable fabric
- Ideal for cuddling
- Tail might feel a little stiff
- May be smaller than expected
6. Best For Safety: Melissa & Doug Farm Friends
Your child is sure to love this assortment of ten miniature collectible farm animal toys which vary from 0.75 to three inches in size. The adorable animal set includes a duck, horse, pig, chicken, cow, goat, donkey, sheep, rooster, and border collie, and gives you some interesting fun facts about each of these animals. They can be stored in a sturdy, divided wooden tray which simulates a fenced farm and measures 15.5 x 13.5 X 1.75 inches. Ideal for children above three years of age, you child can spend hours of creative playtime with these cute and realistic looking farm animals. The quality-tested, felt-covered animals have minute details like the duck has webbed feet and the horse a flowing mane, and all these toys adhere to the strictest safety standards.
- Detailed description at the back
- Stimulates imagination
- Ideal props for pretend play game time
- Animals stand easily
- Furr may shed off
- May have a chemical smell
7. Best Cake Toppers: Terra By Battat Farm Animals
These best-selling miniature toy farm animals come in fun shapes and vibrant colors that will keep your kid enthralled. There are 12 different animal toys such as roosters, chickens, pigs, sheep, cows, bulls, geese, and cats, all extremely realistically crafted. This animal set has 60 animals altogether and is ideal for a goodie bag, or as a cake topper. It provides an ideal prop to develop imagination and curiosity about animals as well as compassion and love for them. Ideal for children above three years of age, these toys greatly reduce screen time as they keep children completely engaged. Each figurine measures about 1.5 to 2.5 inches and is 1 to 1.5 inches long.
- Comes with a transparent storage container
- Has bold colors and an accurate design
- Helps learn vocabulary
- Ideal for animal-themed party
- May not be suitable for children below three years
- May not be suitable for indoors
8. Best BPA-Free: Volnay Safari Animal Figurines Toys
The seven-piece animal figurine set includes a moose, howling wolf, black bear, bald eagle, river otter, American bison, and crocodile. Each safari animal toy figure is made of eco-friendly, non-toxic, and BPA-free resin. In addition, these realistic toys are odorless and manually painted by professionals with non-fading paint. Many reviewers agree that these animal figurines are excellent for developing imagination, and can also be used as party decorations and game props.
- Solid and durable jungle animal toys
- Has a sturdy base
- Includes a bag for storage
- Ideal for preschool learning
- Complies with ASTM, EN71, and RoHS safety requirements
- Some may find it smaller than expected
- Colors might have slight variations
9. Best Barnyard-Themed: Bedwina Farm Animal Toys
In this set of 12 Barnyard-themed farm animal toys, you will find sheep, horses, goats, ducks, hens, roosters, turkeys, cows, and pigs to play with. With a variable length between three and five inches and made of durable PVC plastic, these trusted animal toys are ideal for school art and craft projects that teach children about different animals. You can also use them as cake toppers, decor, or prizes for the fun games at birthday parties or other animal-themed gatherings.
- Suitable for imaginative play
- Vibrant colors
- Realistic details
- Made of durable material
- Ideal for children aged three years and up
- Some may not have a stable base
Some may not withstand rough play
10. Best With Containers: Joyin Assorted Small Animal Figures
These 69-piece animal figures by Joyin come individually packed in labeled containers. Each container has 13 to 16 pieces of a specific kind of animal figure, including sea creatures, insects, dinosaur, wild, and farm animal toys. These animals are ideal to use as stocking stuffers and Easter basket stuffers. In addition, you can encourage your child to sort the animal figurines according to their themes or hide them in different places to make hide-and-seek more fun.
- Toxin-free plastic material
- Sparks imagination and improves hand-eye coordination
- Ideal choice for animal and dinosaur enthusiasts
- Easy to hold with little hands
- Vibrant colors
- May not be suitable for children below three years
- Some animal colors might vary
11. Best For Developing Imagination: Yeonha Toys Animal Figures
This animal toy set comprises 12 jungle animal toys that are made of durable plastic and are painted in detail with non-toxic paint. The wide variety of animals include a lion, tiger, elephant, giraffe, leopard, zebra, two trees, and four sets of grass. Children learn to recognize different wild animals, and these forest animal toys are a great learning resource. Loved by many reviewers, this set of 12 wild animals also help with imagination and creativity development. Each animal measures about eight inches and is suitable for children above the age of three years.
- Environmental protection PVC material
- Encourages storytelling
- Easy to hold
- Free of lead and BPA
- Trees and grass may be flimsy
- May seem small to some
12. Best For Improving Social Skills: Joyin Mini Animal Toys
Available in a pack of 24 mini plush animal toys, each animal measures about 2.5 to three inches. These tried-and-tested soft animal toys can be used as party favors, Easter egg fillers, in pinatas, as key chains, or as gifts. They come in attractive, vivid colors, and are made with premium, soft cloth. Every animal imaginable is present in this animal set of mini plush toys— a duckling, cow, bunny, monkey, bear, dinosaur, and dog to name a few. Children love the feel of these soft and cuddly toys which positively influence cognitive behavior, creativity, and social skills.
- Easy to hold
- Soft to touch
- Hanging loop
- May not be suitable for children below three
- Joints may need restitching for some
13. Best For Learning About Marine Life: Terra By Battat Assorted Miniature Sea Animals
Give your toddler a glimpse into the underwater world with 12 miniature sea animal toys and a total of 60 fish toys in all. These small animals are boldly colored and realistically designed with six different kinds of fish and six crab toys. They are ideal for a fish-themed party or to fill into a goody bag and are a great learning experience as well. They provide information about marine life, boost imagination, and promote compassion for animals. Your child can build a fantasy underwater aquarium at home and this marine animal set will pique their curiosity about oceans and the animals found in it. Ideal for children aged three and above, these animals are made of durable plastic and measure about 1 to 2.5 inches x 1.5 to 2.5 inches.
- Comes with a storage case
- Builds curiosity
- Doubles as bath toys
- Some may have sharp edges
- May have some repetitive toys
How To Choose The Right Animal Toys?
Here are a few points you should keep in mind when choosing an animal toy for your child..
1. Color: Always go for vividly colored animal toys as children find them more attractive. Also, they should have a realistic appearance so that children can recognize them easily and are able to relate to real life experience, such as zoo animal toys and pet animal toys.
2. Size: The animal toys should be small enough so that your child’s tiny hands are able to grasp them easily, but not so small that they become a choking hazard. Also ensure that there are no small buttons or removable eyes on them as all these can be potentially dangerous.
3. Safety: Make sure the toys are made of completely safe and non-toxic plastic or other material. Children often put toys into their mouths and you cannot expose them to hazardous material. The paint also should be non-toxic so that you don’t have to worry every time your child puts it into their mouth.
4. Stimulating: The primary purpose of any toy is that it should be fun, but it’s always better if it can provide an educational experience as well. Toys should ideally also promote eye-hand coordination, cognitive development, language skills, creativity, and imagination. It should help your child build a world of fantasy while being educational at the same time.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is adept at reviewing children’s toys and gifts. She provides detailed information on products based on customer reviews and in-depth research. In this post, she has compiled a list of the best animal toys that are durable and made of high-quality materials. Further, Priti has provided a detailed description of each product and included a handy buying guide to help you pick the right animal toy.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When should I introduce animal figurines to my baby?
18 months is the right age to introduce animal toys (1), as children start role playing. You can also mimic animal sounds to make them learn about different animals.
2. How many animal toys does a baby need?
Do not overload with a lot of animal toys, and give them three to five toys at a time. Once they are familiar with those toys, you can replace them with other interactive animal toys.
3. Are animal toys toxic?
Animal toys that are made to be compliant with ASTM safety standards are non-toxic. However, certain animal toys may be toxic. Therefore, check the label for paraben, BPA, and other harmful materials.
4. What can my child learn from playing with animal toys?
Playing with animal toys makes your child connect with them. It eliminates the fear of animals. They also learn to care and show empathy towards other creatures. You can also help them learn the names and sounds of each animal using these toys.
5. Can I put animal toys in bath bombs?
Yes, you can safely put non-toxic toys in bath bombs. Ensure that the toys are not made of plush material and the bath bomb is talc-free.
Animal toys are a great way to introduce the animal kingdom to your child. They are fun and engaging as they come in various shapes and sizes and colorful patterns. Adding the best animal toys to your child’s toy collection can help them improve their vocabulary, fine motor, and gross skills while allowing them to express their creativity and imagination. There are several options to choose from, and you must consider some crucial factors that will help you bring home the best animal toys for kids. Keeping safety in mind, ensure that they are small enough to grab but do not have removable parts that may be a choking hazard. Also, select toys made from safe, non-toxic materials with fun and vivid colors.
Infographic: How To Play With Animal Toys?
Purchasing the right and safe animal toys is only half the job done. It’s also crucial to know how to play with these figurines in an interactive, exciting, and educative manner. So, check out the following infographic to learn how these animal toys can be used besides pretend play.
- Important Milestones: Your Child By Eighteen Months
- Best Animal Toys For Toddlers
- Best Stuffed Animals For Babies And Toddlers
- Best Farm Toys For Kids
- Best Shark Toys