It’s very important to know that you need to have a very clean and healthy aquarium for your aquatic animals to thrive. Since it is natural for the temperature to change every season, it becomes difficult to maintain a consistent temperature in the tank which will have an effect on the fish too. And, to achieve the appropriate temperature, you need the best aquarium heaters that you can get. You need to provide them the perfect environment because some species depend on the water temperature to survive. It is also natural that if you are someone who just got your first aquarium, it is very hard to choose the right heater. So, here is our list of the 15 best aquarium heaters that will keep your underwater friends healthy.
Top 15 Aquarium Heaters In 2021
Having a regulated and consistent water temperature is the key to having a robust aquarium for your fish. This adjustable aquarium heater from Eheim is a modern electronic thermal device that uses the best and latest technology. This 300-watt heater is ideal for a 159-264 gallon tank. It is made from shockproof and shatterproof laboratory-grade glass that can be completely submerged underwater. It uses a Thermo Safety Control system that enables the “running dry” protection so that the heater automatically shuts down when it is taken out of the water and resumes its functions when returned. It includes a mounting bracket and suction cups for firm placement in the aquarium.
- It can be used for both freshwater and saltwater aquariums.
- It can precisely control the temperature between 18°C-34° C (65°F-93° F).
- It automatically shuts down when the water level becomes too low.
- You can increase/decrease the temperature by 0.5° C.
- It has an indicator light which indicates if the heater is active or not.
- It is resistant to chemical and biological substances which helps it withstand extreme temperature fluctuations.
- The heater might sometimes heat the water a little above the set temperature.
This 100% submersible heater is exactly what your little aquarium needs. This 25-watt heater uses its intelligent temperature control feature to adjust the heating automatically as and when needed. When the temperature of the water dips too low, it will automatically start heating and when the temperature hits its high mark, it will stop. It is a great option for a tank of 1-5 gallon capacity. It needs to be used only when it is completely submerged in the aquarium tank.
- The temperature can easily be set between 63°F-95°F.
- It comes with a free diving thermometer to check the temperature at any time.
- It has overheating protection which automatically shut-off the heater to avoid any damage.
- The length of the cord might not be satisfactory.
FREESEA is one of the most trusted brands in the market and this is why they get to appear twice on our list. They build the heaters using high-quality materials for durability and safety of the user. This model is a 50-watt heater that also uses an automatic start and stop feature for when the temperature goes below or above the set temperature. It works great as a 1-10 gallon aquarium heater. It uses a single-operation button that will be placed outside the tank which makes it very safe and easy-to-use.
- You can control the water temperature between 59°F-94°F.
- It has an LED display that shows real-time temperature.
- It has the highest waterproof level of IPX8.
- The temperature readings might be inaccurate sometimes.
This submersible heater from Fluval is all about doing the job efficiently without having the need of being noticed. It uses a unique reflective technology that works as a mirror and reflects the surroundings to blend into the environment. This 50-watt high-density ceramic heat stick is made from shock-resistant Borosilicate glass for ultimate durability. The installation is very easy owing to its slim profile which makes for a hassle-free placement. It is a great option for tanks with a 15-gallon capacity.
- It uses a computer-calibrated thermostat.
- It can control the temperature between 66°F-86°F.
- It has an easy-to-use temperature control dial.
- It can be used for both freshwater and saltwater tanks.
- The stick might be too tall for some tanks.
If you have owned aquarium heaters before, then you know how delicate they can be. This heater from Orlushy is made from shatter-resistant quartz glass that is built to absorb impact and lasts a very long time. It is a 100-watt aquarium heater and is an ideal choice for 15-30 gallon aquarium tanks. It has a precise temperature dial that lets you control the temperature anywhere between 68-89°F.
- It has a power indicator that turns on while the unit is heating.
- The dial lets you increase/decrease the temperature by 1°F.
- You can place it vertically or horizontally in the tank as needed.
- It is a universal heater which can be used in marine, freshwater, or tropical aquariums.
- The temperature readings on the screen might not be always accurate.
Aquarium fishes cannot survive in a fluctuating water temperature; you need to have control over the temperature. To have that kind of precision, this heater from Marineland is all that you need. The heater lets you change the temperature by 1°F with every turn of the dial. It is a 150-watt heater that will fit right in your 40-gallon tanks. The heating stick is surrounded by a heating mesh that allows for faster heat transfer.
- It has a thermal switch that automatically turns off the heater when it goes beyond the internal preset temperature and turns back on once it cools down.
- The sliding scale depicts the exact water temperatures.
- It has an advanced mounting bracket that securely attaches the heater to the glass and grants 3 viewing angles to check the temperature from different angles.
- It might heat the tank slightly beyond the set temperature.
Unlike other heaters that are made from glass, this one is made from PTC element, an oxide ceramic material that will not catch fire or break easily. It has a longer life span and much safer than other heaters. You can adjust the temperature from 61°F-90°F and have an additional stick-on thermometer to check the water temperature when needed. If you have a 50-100 gallon tank, then this 200-watt heater is the one you should go for.
- It has an overheat protection feature that turns off the device when it reaches the set temperature.
- The heating rod has a detachable protective cover that is safe to touch, both for humans and fish.
- It can be used for both freshwater and saltwater tanks.
- Due to its protective cover, the heater can also be used in a 100-gallon turtle tank.
- It might have difficulty in maintaining a consistent temperature after a certain period.
If you just got a new aquarium for your home, you would also be needing a heater to keep the water at the right temperature. This 300-watt heater which is made from high-quality, break-resistant quartz glass is the perfect fit for it. You can use the temperature dial to set the temperature as needed. It does not matter if you have a freshwater or saltwater aquarium because this heater will work for both types.
- It is available in multiple sizes that you can choose from.
- It is very easy to install; thanks to the suction cups that hold a firm grip in the aquarium.
- It has a built-in thermostat that clearly shows the temperature at both °C and °F.
- It might not be ideal for long-term use.
Provide your aquatic creatures a heater that suits the ambience of their tank. This 200-watt heater has an intelligent IC chip to control the temperature. It lets you change the temperature by 1°C/2°F to meet the requirements of the tank with precision. It is made from glass that has the highest rating of IP68 for the best waterproof protection. The tube is made from titanium and is backed by explosion-proof and anti-corrosion benefits. The intelligent light indicator uses red light to indicate when the temperature is below the set range and uses blue light when the temperature is within the required range.
- It includes overheating and water-shortage protection features.
- You can control the temperature without getting your hands wet by using the external touch-button controls.
- It is CE, FCC, and ROHS certified.
- You can control the temperature between 68°F-94°F(20°C-34°C).
- It is suitable for tanks with 30-40 gallon capacity.
- It can be used for freshwater and marine aquariums, aquaculture, glass containers, and hydroponic systems.
- It has an anti-flaming heater cover which keeps the fish from swimming into it.
- The double sensing probes on top offer the desired amount of induction.
- It has 2 suction cups for a firm grip on the tank.
- The heater might need to be replaced after a year as per the instructions.
Since fish cannot generate their own body heat, they have to depend on the water temperature for their living and this is why a water heater is extremely crucial. This shatter-proof heater is great for safe temperature control. It is made from Quartz glass to have the durability to last a long time. It can endure high temperatures and does not contain any materials that will harm the fish. You can check their instruction chart to see the best-recommended places where you can install the heater.
- To avoid any unwanted temperature fluctuations, the heater’s preset at 78°F which also leaves out any manual adjustments.
- It can be used for both freshwater and saltwater environments.
- The heater completely submerges underwater and uses strong-grip suction cups that are easy to install.
- The temperature might not be hot enough.
This 400-watt digital aquarium heater from POPETPOP offers precise adjustments for accurate thermal control using its intelligent chip. It also uses a nickel-chromium heating wire that helps in faster heat transfers. The heating element is made from high-quality titanium for extended durability. It has an upgraded sensor probe on top of the heater for proper induction and to reduce temperature errors. It has an LED digital display that allows for easy temperature checks without you needing to put your hands in the water. You can adjust the temperature between 68°F-94°F (20°C-34°C).
- It is CE, FCC, and ROHS certified.
- It is usable for freshwater aquariums, saltwater aquariums, aquaculture, terrariums, and hydroponic systems.
- To extend the safety measures, the heater is explosion-proof, waterproof, and scald-preventing.
- It uses 2 durable suction cups that hold on to the glass very firmly.
- It automatically shuts down when the sensing probe is exposed to air due to low water levels.
- Might have difficulties reaching the high temperatures after a certain duration.
You do not require any fancy heaters for your aquarium, you just need something that is easy to operate to get the job done. This aquarium heater from KASANMNU fits the bill perfectly. It is an easy-to-operate heater owing to its simple temperature controls and easy-to-read temperature indicators on the rod. The thermal conductivity is extremely efficient due to which the heating speed is very fast and accurate. The heater is made from thick Quartz glass material and has two suction cups for easy installation and can easily be hidden from view.
- It is explosion-proof and anti-corrosive.
- It has a knob-style control to adjust the temperature as needed.
- You can adjust the temperature anywhere between 68°F-93°F.
- It can be used in 10-25 gallon tanks.
- It can be used in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums.
- It adheres to IP68 high-grade waterproof standards and has double-layer waterproof insulation.
- It might not be an ideal option for long-term use.
IOAOI has a pretty good reputation for their high-quality products. This 50-watt aquarium heater does not use any glass material and instead, it uses a stainless steel tube on the inside with an engineering plastic tube on the outside which protects the heater from external damage. It also features a dry-fire protection device. This insulated heater is safe to use but must be fully submerged underwater. It uses suction cups to hold on to the glass.
- The temperature can be controlled between 68°F-88°F and can be changed with a frequency of 1°F using the knob on top.
- The indicator will turn on the light when the heater is in use.
- It can be placed vertically or horizontally.
- Be it freshwater or saltwater, it can be used in both types of tanks.
- The readings on the temperature knob might not be accurate.
Be it a turtle tank or fish pond, you need the best of the best environment for your water pets. If you have a tank with a capacity of 99 gallons and below, this heater is a great option that you should consider. This submersible aquarium heater from JackSuper is a 300-watt aquarium heater that lets you control the temperature anywhere between 68°F-93°F. It uses an automatic constant temperature function which if the heater goes beyond the set temperature will shut down, and if it goes below the requirement, it will start heating automatically. It is one of the highest-rated aquarium water heaters on Amazon.
- It includes suction cups that can be used to install the heater vertically or horizontally.
- The LED light indicator shows if the heater is active or not.
- You can use it for both freshwater or saltwater aquariums.
- It might not be durable enough to last a long period.
Since water temperature plays an important role, you need the best heater to do the job. This titanium steel aquarium heater is extremely energy efficient due to its fast heating ability. There are two sizes of the heater available— 500-watt for 60-120 gallon tanks and 800-watt for 120-180 gallon tanks. With just a touch of a button, you can set the temperature of the heater as needed between 70°F and 94°F.
- It features MAX heating and ECO heating that heats up the water more efficiently while saving some bucks on your electricity bills.
- You can see the temperature on the digital display that is on both the heater and the external controller that comes with it.
- It has a built-in thermometer and waterline detector which turns off the heater if the water is over 97°F or the heater itself is 0.8 Inches out of water.
- The heater is covered with a sturdy plastic guard for protection.
- It adapts to both freshwater and saltwater aquariums.
- The display on the controller might stop working after a certain period.
So, that was our list of the top 15 aquarium heaters to give your little friends the perfect living space they need. But before you click and buy away, we would like to suggest a few points that will help you understand how to choose the right aquarium heater.
Different Types Of Aquarium Heaters
Hanging/Immersible Heater: These are one of the common types of heaters that hang over the tank and the heating element is suspended into the water.
- Submersible Heater: These are installed inside the tank for convenient and more efficient water heating benefits.
- Substrate Heater: These heaters are used as an additional heater to the existing ones. They are in the form of wires which are buried at the bottom of the tanks to heat the water.
- In-line Heater: These are installed between the sump and the filter to heat the water as it returns to the tank.
- In-sump Heater: These heaters are installed within the sump to heat the water and need less maintenance than others.
Choosing The Best Aquarium Water Heaters
Here are a few points that you need to keep in mind while picking an aquarium heater to make the most out of it.
- Tank Size: The first thing that you need to consider is the size of the aquarium since every heater is built for a certain size group of aquarium tanks. If you have a small tank, then a heater with less power should suffice.
- Type: Choosing the type of heater is all about your preference. But we highly recommend buying a submersible heater because they are the most efficient ones.
- Material: The majority of the heaters have heating elements that are made from glass. The glass needs to be thick enough or at least be shatterproof so that it does break at high temperatures.
- Temperature Range: The temperature requirement totally depends on the type of fish that you have in your aquarium. Some fishes need high temperatures and some require moderate to low. So depending on that, you can choose the one you want.
- Temperature Control: To have precise control over the temperature, the heater needs to have a dial or buttons that let you set the heater at the desired temperature.
Installing An Aquarium Heater The Right Way
- When you unpack the heater, make sure it is intact and not damaged in any way.
- Find the best location where the heater can be installed.
- Using the suction cups, install the heater in the desired location. Make sure it holds on tight to avoid slippage.
- Allow the heater a while to adjust to the temperature of the water before turning it on.
- Turn on your heater and set the desired temperature.
- Give it a few hours to an entire day before checking the water temperature and adjust the heater accordingly if needed.
- You can release the fish once the water is at the desired temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Where should I place my heater?
A. Place the heater near the filter inlet or outlet for even distribution of heat.
Q. Do I need two heaters?
A. When the temperature outside the tank is too cold, a single heater might not be able to raise the temperature to the required level. It is in this situation we highly recommend using two heaters.
Q. Do I need to check my heater?
A. Aquarium heaters are known to overheat sometimes. So, it is suggested that a regular check on the heaters should be done.
Aquariums are not a natural habitat for fish or any other aquatic animals, so it is very difficult to provide them the environment they need to survive. Since they need a source of heat, these heaters on our list should help you provide them with that. And with the help of our buying guide and installation guide, you should be able to choose and install the heater without breaking a sweat.