Avocados have gained immense popularity in recent years as more individuals seek to supplement their diet with healthy fats. And many individuals like to keep their avocados fresher for longer by storing them in the best avocado savers.
Avocado is notorious for being temperamental, despite its heart-healthy and nutritional properties. When ripe and freshly cut, this fruit is unquestionably creamy and delectable. However, it can be challenging to decide what to do with the other half of the avocado. When avocado is cut and not stored properly, it begins to discolor. An avocado saver comes in handy in this situation.
So, if you want to keep the other part of your avocado for later use, place it in an avocado saver. Although this won’t stop the browning, it will certainly slow it down. The avocado savers listed here can assist you in keeping the green fruit fresh for long.
11 Best Avocado Savers To Buy In 2023
As much as most people like to eat avocado, no one likes how it starts to brown pretty quickly. It turns into a sludgy mess, making it unappealing to consume. That’s why it’s important to store the avocado properly after it is cut. This pack, consisting of two pieces of avocado keepers, seems to be the best way to preserve avocado. All you have to do is place the unused avocado half face-down (after pitting it) in the green tray, put on the lid, and place it in the fridge for later use.
- Snap-on clear lid
- Air-tight case
- Might be difficult to store large avocados
With avocados, you most likely think you have only two options—either use it or lose it. Well, not anymore! With an avocado saver such as this one, you can prevent your leftover avocado from being exposed to air. This slows down the oxidation process and prevents the fruit from turning brown faster. This set includes two avocado holders made of plastic and features a sturdy and durable rubber strap that holds the avocado in place.
- BPA-free plastic
- Premium quality
- Can be carried along
- Top rack dishwasher-safe
- Keeps avocado fresh longer
- Might be bulky
Designed to look like the creamy green fruit, this green avocado storage container helps you store your avocado half securely so that it stays firm and fresh for longer periods of time. With this avocado holder at your disposal, you don’t have to use plastic wrap or a plastic bag. Simply place the cut-side down in the container and close the lid tight. But do remember to remove the pit before storage. The compact design of this container makes for easy storage in the fridge or convenient carrying wherever you go.
- Easy to clean in the dishwasher
- Prevents squashing or bruising
- BPA-free and FDA-approved plastic
- Might be able to fit only small avocados
Whether you want to store small or big sliced avocado, this handy kitchen tool has you covered. Each pack contains two silicone Avocado Huggers in different sizes that can easily flex and fold over the fruit to provide a tight seal so that no air enters. These holders are small and won’t take up too much space in your refrigerator. Plus, they are dishwasher-safe, making cleanup a breeze.
- Sturdy and thick
- BPA and phthalate-free
- Eco-friendly material
- Avocado can be stored with or without the seed
- Might take longer to dry once washed
Tired of using ziplock bags and wax paper to cover and store your half, unused fresh avocado? Then give this Avocado Saver a try! Tulz Avocado Save-A-Half is used to store and prolong the life of a sliced avocado when refrigerated, in turn, helping you minimize food wastage and plastic cover usage. This kitchen gadget is made of plastic that is BPA-free and food-safe, allowing you to use it over and again until it lasts. With a shape like that of an avocado, it makes for a cute addition in your kitchen.
- Space-saving design
- Includes a clear lid
- Ensures a tight seal
- Color and design makes it easy to spot in the fridge
- The cut out for the pit may be slightly small.
6. Best With Silicone Seal Ring:Cookduo Avocado Vault
Cookduo Avocado Vault is an excellent encapsulating option that ensures to keep your unused slice of avocado fresher for longer. It prevents air from entering, thanks to the silicone seal ring that provides an airtight seal. Measuring 5 x 2.7 x 4 inches, this avocado saver also includes a snap-lock feature for added protection.
- Built to last
- Easy to clean
- Made of BPA-free plastic
- May not work well for smaller avocados
Do you have half-cut vegetables and lemon leftover every time you make a small batch of avocado salsa or guacamole? Then this set of keepers for onion, tomato, citrus, and avocado is perfect for you! Place the cut-side of your produce face down in these keepers to keep them fresh and prevent them from drying out. These plastic keepers come with a snap-on lid that provides a secure seal to trap in the odor while also ensuring that air doesn’t enter the container. Not only are they compact but also stackable so that you can save on space when placed in the fridge.
- Clear lid
- Slightly expensive
Looking for a product that can do it all, from storing to slicing to mashing avocado? This multifunctional tool set is your best bet! A perfect gift for all the avocado lovers, this set includes a cutter, a pitter, a slicer, a masher, and a keeper. While the cutter and pitter are made with a combination of plastic and stainless steel, the rest of the tools are made of plastic. The saver is not only used to store the leftover avocado half but also doubles as a storage container for the tools. Here’s a tip: squeeze a little lemon juice on the avocado before keeping it in the saver and storing it in the fridge.
- High-quality and durable
- Eco-friendly plastic
- Food-grade materials
- Convenient-to-use tools
- Easy to wash in dishwasher
- May not provide a tight seal
It’s a known fact that cut avocados are notorious for turning brown quite quickly. Thus, it’s essential you store them in something and in the right way. These storage boxes are an excellent solution! Made of durable plastic, each box comes with a transparent container and green lid. The lid of these boxes seals tightly to prevent airflow, which reduces bacterial growth and keeps your half avocados from going bad for a while.
- Durable and reusable
- Integrated buckle cover design
- Easy to open and close
- Dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning
- May not fit large avocados
Designed to look like an avocado, this storage pod is easy to identify when placed in the refrigerator. It helps you store half an avocado so that you can use it for later. Ensuring a tight seal, this tool prevents airflow, which slows down oxidation and preserves avocado’s freshness for a longer time. It’s effortless to use – all you have to do is place the avocado in this container, put the lid on, and snap it shut. It is recommended to be washed before use.
- Compact design
- Top rack dishwasher-safe
- Made of food-safe plastic
- Prevents avocado from getting smashed
- Might be difficult to open
Treat your avocado right by storing them in an avocado holder such as this one. This set includes six pieces of avocado holders in different colors that easily stand out among other items in the fridge. Made of food-grade silicone, these holders feature a durable base and elastic handle that help you store a half-cut avocado face down and secure it in place. Although it’s called an avocado holder, it can store other unused fruits to preserve their freshness.
- Isolates air
- Easy to use
- Tough and durable
- Can be washed in a dishwasher
- May not seal tightly
How To Choose The Right Avocado Saver?
Before purchasing an avocado saver, go through the points given below
- Size: When looking for an avocado saver, the foremost factor you should consider is its size. If you opt for a large keeper, you may not be able to store smaller avocados because there is a possibility of more air being trapped in the keeper. Plus, if you want to carry the tool with you, the chances of small avocados getting bruised and smashed is high. Similarly, a small keeper may only be suitable for small avocados as it would be too compact for larger ones. Since one can’t predict an avocado’s size, it’s best to have two or three keepers in varied sizes on hand.
- Material: Most avocado keepers are made of plastic and silicone because they are cost-effective and more efficient. But do make sure the materials are food-grade, BPA-free, and FDA-approved.
- Ease of cleaning: Since an avocado saver is used to store your produce that you would be consuming later, you need to clean it thoroughly before use. While some models can be cleaned by hand using soapy water, others are suitable for cleaning in a dishwasher.
- Design: There are two main types of design when it comes to avocado savers – one with a lid and other with an elastic or rubber strap. The models with straps do not come with a lid but allow you to store the avocado face down, restricting air from reaching the meat of the fruit. But, this leaves the remaining part of the fruit exposed to air, which means it could absorb odors from other food items in the fridge. As for the savers that come with a lid or top cover, they offer good encapsulation and seal tightly to prevent odors and flavors from leaching into the box. Plus, the lids with a snap-on lock make for a great option if you want to take avocado on the go.
Akino Ogata, a Japanese culinary expert and food influencer, says, “Some recommend squeezing lemon into avocados to keep them fresh in the fridge for a couple of days. But according to me, it is best if you store the avocado in an airtight container with the stone still attached. The stone is rich in antioxidants. Try finding an avocado saver that lets you store the fruit with the stone intact.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is a writer and reviewer who specializes in the kitchen and furniture segments. His review process involves researching and comparing different products to make sure he gives readers a thorough understanding of what they are buying. In this article about the best avocado savers, he has reviewed each product thoroughly based on various parameters. Moreover, the article also has a buying guide section consisting of the different factors you should consider before taking your pick.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is there a way to keep avocados from turning brown?
You can slow down the browning of avocados by creating an air-tight seal around them. To create an air-resistant barrier, you can use an air-tight jar or apply a coat of lemon juice or olive oil on avocados.
2. How quickly do avocados turn brown?
An uncut avocado can take a few days or a week to become ripe. On the other hand, a sliced avocado can turn brown in a few hours due to exposure to oxygen.
3. Are avocado savers safe to use?
Yes, avocado savers are safe when made from food-grade materials. The savers can keep your avocados dirt-free and slow down the browning process.
An avocado saver can be helpful if you are trying to follow portion control and regulate your food intake. Now, you can curb your cravings without forcing yourself to eat the entire avocado. You can seal away the other half in the saver and store it in the fridge without worrying about browning. Pick the best avocado saver from the list above, and ensure you check the material, size, durability, and additional features before purchasing to make the right decision.