Visiting the beach with your toddler is no mean task, as you would need to factor in several essentials. However, with the best baby beach gear at your disposal, you can make the trip a blissful experience.
Right from sunscreen to towels, hats, bags, toys, and diapers, you need to carry all the beach essentials your toddler would possibly need. Thus, here is a list of some essential baby beach gear that can have your back during your beach picnic. Add these best-selling ones to your shopping cart today and make every trip to the beach with your toddler a memorable experience while providing them everlasting comfort.
11 Best Baby Beach Gear In 2024
1. Best For All-Around Protection: hiccapop MiniPod Baby Dome
The hiccapop MiniPod Baby Dome is your perfect assistant for keeping the baby safe when heading to the beach. It has a built-in SPF 50 foldable sunshade that provides good protection from the sun. The dome has two safety locks, a waterproof bottom, and a heavy-duty zipper closure for convenience. And it comes with a quick-fold frame to let you carry it around and set it up with ease. This quality-tested and certified baby dome is a safe and trusted choice to keep your baby secure during outdoor fun.
- Lightweight and portable
- Cover and dome are machine-washable
- Offers protection from sun, wind, and bugs
- Anti-slip and scratch-resistant
- Suitable for both outdoors and indoors
- Bottom may not be well padded
2. Best Portable:Monobeach Baby Beach Tent
The Baby Beach tent by Monobeach is compact, easy to pack, and travel-friendly. This beach tent is large enough for a mini pool that you can create by adding water. Made from waterproof fabric, it is ideal for keeping a baby engaged in water play without taking them directly into the sea. It is UV-resistant, thus keeping your baby safe from harmful sun rays. As per reviews, the beach tent can be automatically set up in seconds for easy use.
- Includes a carry bag and four pegs
- Works for children up to three years
- Child-safe materials
- May be difficult to fold
- May not be ideal for windy days
3. Best Splash-Proof:F-Color Beach Bag
F-Color’s toddler beach gear keeps all their essentials stacked in one place as they enjoy some playtime in the sand. To help you pack some water bottles and baby sunscreen compactly, there’s a mesh lining that prevents spillage and odors. The eight large mesh storage pockets and an inner splash-proof zippered pocket can comfortably accommodate all your items in a well-organized manner while enabling them to dry quickly. Stash a pair of flip-flops in the exterior pocket, or put reusable swim diapers and children’s towels in the main compartment while you enjoy the calm ocean water as this lightweight tote bag has reinforced seams for sturdiness. With four rings attached on top, you can easily hang your keys, caps, or bottles on this inflatable pool gear for babies.
- Comfortable straps
- Holds up to 160lb
- Sturdy handles
- Strong ripstop mesh material
- Foldable and easy to store
- Available in different color options
- Some may find it floppy
- Mesh bottom may allow the sand inside
4. Best Compact:Summer Infant Pop N’ Jump Portable Activity Center
This tried-and-tested baby summer gear is delightful for playtime as it features a lightweight folding frame with up to three levels of height adjustment. The jumping support seat of this multipurpose beach toy can be easily detached or thrown in the washing machine, giving you convenience with regard to maintenance. A spinner ball, teether, mirror book, and rattle are the toys available for your child to pass the time. With the UV canopy offering sun protection, the child’s skin is safe. Even extreme temperatures won’t cause it to crack, break, or rust, while the travel bag with comfortable straps makes for compact carrying.
- Bouncy picnic mat
- Helps the baby to stay upright
- Supports up to 25 pounds
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Detachable canopy
- Easy-to-fold design
- Includes floor mat
- Machine washable
- Velcro hook may rub against the skin
Metal screws at the leg bottoms may scratch the floor
5. Best With Extra Storage:Coleman Camping Chair
Coleman’s summer baby gear brings you this lightweight chair that has a relaxed backrest coupled with full seat support. The steel frame is sturdy as it supports up to 250 pounds. With the carry bag included, you can transport the chair to any location easily. A mesh cup holder is convenient for holding beverage bottles, while the seatback pocket provides extra storage, facilitating a comfortable lounging experience for your little one.
- Portable and foldable design
- Easy to open and close
- Low chair height
- Wide seat
- Easy to assemble
- One-year limited warranty
- No adjustable recline
- Some may find the cup holder flimsy
6. Best UV Protection:Optix 55 Baby Sunglasses With Strap
Optix 55’s pool gear for babies features high-grade protection of UV 400 so as to keep the dangerous UVA and UVB rays of the sun at a distance. With seven fun colors to choose from, these unique, parent-recommended sunglasses also allow your child to enjoy the cold water without any hindrance. The PC Smoke lenses work to reduce eye strain and glare without dulling the vision, so your little one’s delicate eyes are always shielded. A handy rubber strap is attached for security, which doesn’t get damaged in the water or cause the eyewear to slip constantly. Not only can you adjust the fit of these sunglasses, but the matching EVA case keeps them in great shape.
- Comfortable and stylish option
- Bendable material
- Easy to put on
- Non-irritating straps
- Ideal for infants and toddlers
- Velcro adjustment may not be adequate
- Straps may be flimsy
7. Best Heat-Resistant:Eccosphoy Sandproof Beach Blanket
Ideal for your baby beach pack, Eccosophy’s blanket is made of ripstop parachute nylon. Fully breathable, lightweight, heat-resistant, and soft to the touch, this swimming gear for babies is versatile. In case it gets dirty due to some spills or stains, you can easily wash it in the machine as it is also quick-drying. Based on durability evaluation, the material is puncture-resistant, lightweight, and can be stashed into any travel bag or even carried to your backyard baby pool for a fun time.
- Attached compression bag
- Includes four pegs
- Triple reinforced stitching for durability
- Sand-proof design to shake off dirt easily
- Large size
- Corner pockets for sand filling
- Available in different color options
- Some may find it too thin
- Carrying case might not be long lasting
8. Best For Fun Play:Biulotter Beach Sand Toys
To engage your child’s imagination, this set of 20 beach toys is all you need. There are six castle modes included for the cleanest sandcastles, four sea animal molds, two shovels, and a bucket, rake, watering can, mesh bag, hourglass, box, and truck wheel. Made of soft propylene plastic, these toys are resistant to corrosion and won’t hurt your child’s soft, tiny hands. You don’t have to worry about any harmful chemical effects because the toys are BPA-free, and their edges are smoothed to prevent any cuts or pricks.
- Easy to grip with little hands
- Reusable bag made of mesh material
- Easy to carry
- Suitable for ages three and up
- Molds may be smaller than expected
- Dump truck may be a bit fragile
9. Best Easy-To-Install:Botindo Family Beach Tent Sunshade
Botindo’s baby beach tent comes with tall poles that keep the shade canopy high to accommodate families and friends at the shore. With a carrying bag and instructions included, this beach tent is made of strong and stretchable Lycra. Offering UPF 50+ protection, the tried-and-tested tent’s aluminum rods are rustproof and easy to fold and carry. All you need to do is reinforce the attached poles with the cord, as the ground stakes and fillable anchor bags keep the baby tent stable. Allowing you ease of installation wherever you go, this sunshade is available in four pretty colors.
- Provides a large shade area
- Durable, water-resistant material
- Adjustable integrated anchors
- Can be difficult to set up when windy
- Poles may not be easy to disassemble
10. Best Washable:Baby Delight Go With Me Eclipse Portable Playard
This outdoor play area by Baby Delight is made of sturdy nylon and features a removable sun canopy for blocking out 98% of UV rays. Folding and opening up in a matter of seconds, the gear has two safety locks, so the whole contraption is secure. Its sturdy and durable frame construction offers optimal quality assurance and safety for your child. The mesh sides allow your child to see the world as they have fun on their own, and the storage pocket included can be used to store their necessities. The base is both removable and washable in cases of spillage or staining, while the metal frame withstands all your baby’s shenanigans. Packing easily into a compact travel bag, this on-the-go adventure is a must-have for your kid.
- Sturdy frame construction
- Easy to carry
- Easy to wipe-clean
- JPMA-certified safe design
- Ideal for ages six to 24 months
- May not be adequately padded
Mesh may fall apart with long-term use
11. Best For Fine Motor SKills:Fisher-Price On-The-Go Baby Dome
To keep babies between zero to five months well-protected and entertained outdoors, this is great newborn beach gear. Doubling as a mini bed with soft padding and a play area wrapped in one, this dome by Fisher-Price also has a UPF 20 sun shade to keep harmful rays and bugs away, keeping your baby safe on beach trips. These trusted hanging toys have a baby-friendly design and are a great way for your little one to exercise their fine motor skills and strengthen their dexterity. With two removable toys, this dome folds easily with flat handles so you can transport it wherever you like.
- Also suitable for indoor use
- Retractable canopy
- Suitable for tummy time
- Easy to set up
- May be a bit heavy
- Padding may be crinkly
How To Choose The Right Baby Beach Gear?
Consider the following factors when choosing the best baby beach gear.
- Essentials: These items are necessities that your child will need when you take them to the beach. Sunscreen, reusable or disposable swim diapers, sun or bucket hats, rash guard or cover-up, beach blanket, beach tent, baby powder, wet bags, water bottles, towels, beach umbrellas, water shoes, and sunglasses are just the basics every parent needs to have. You can carry a huge compartmentalized beach bag with zipper pockets to keep your little ones’ belongings, cooler packs to keep beverages fresh, and separate containers for formula.
- Toys: If your child isn’t old enough to go into the water by themselves, they’d do well with some toys while the adults take a dip in the sea. Molds for sandcastles or others, buckets, shovels, trucks, and water ducks are some fun picks. On the other hand, foldable chairs, floaties, flippers, and life jackets are suitable for children who will be venturing into the water.
- Features: Plastic items like toys should be BPA-free and have smoothed edges so that they won’t prick or hurt the children. Baby strollers, play areas, and canopies should come with sun protection of at least UPF 50+ to safeguard the skin from UV rays. Additionally, anything cloth-related like towels or mats must be lightweight and easy to clean while also being sandproof. Look for items that are easy to install and fold up compactly with a carrying case included for convenient transportation. As an eco-conscious step, opt for beach gear made of sustainable and recycled materials for the benefit of the environment.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a good age to take a baby to the beach?
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends not taking children under one to any water activity programs (1). Remember that your baby has delicate skin, and exposure to sun rays on beaches may harm their skin.
2. How should I keep my baby safe at the beach?
If you take toddlers or babies above six months to a beach, ensure you apply sunscreen with a good SPF value. Use protective umbrellas or beach tents that minimize the sun rays and heat.
3. How long can a baby be at the beach?
Your babies should come in contact with water for a maximum of 30 minutes.
4. Do sunglasses protect babies from UV rays?
Yes, some sunglasses are specially designed to protect babies’ eyes from UV rays. However, ensure that you are using sunglasses for babies older than six months, as babies below six months should not be exposed to sun rays.
5. Is beach water safe for babies?
Your babies are safe in beach water when they are not exposed for prolonged periods. Also ensure that you only allow the water to touch them up to their knees. Try to wrap them in a towel if your baby feels cold or shivers.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is a passionate content writer with years of experience who strives to make your search for baby products easier. She has curated a list of the best baby beach gear after thorough research to help you make the right decision when shopping. These products have been chosen after considering numerous trusted websites and user reviews. She has also included an elaborate segment on how to choose the right baby beach gear to help you make a suitable purchase so you can enjoy the perfect beach day.
A visit to the beach with a toddler is undoubtedly fun, but packing for the trip requires careful consideration. Packing the right beach gear for babies can make your beach day enjoyable and exciting. While it might be a bit frustrating to carry extra luggage on vacations, a well-fed, well-dressed, and well-entertained toddler can help you put your feet up and relax. Hence, our top recommendations include the easy-to-fold Summer Infant Pop N’ Jump Portable Activity Center, the Fisher-Price On-The-Go Baby Dome, which doubles as a bassinet, and the Biulotter Beach Sand Toys, ideal for tiny hands. Moreover, check out the list of the best baby beach gear to ensure you have all the necessary items to make your vacation or trip to the beach hassle-free and memorable.
Infographic: Essential Baby Beach Gears You Should Carry
Whether you live near a seashore or planning a beach trip with your baby, investing in good quality baby beach gear would be useful. It will help carry your baby’s essentials easily and keep the baby safe from prolonged sun exposure. Check out the infographic below to learn baby essentials for a beach trip.
Is It Safe to Take a Newborn to The Beach?