- 21 best baby bottles
- What are the different types of baby bottles?
- How to pick the ideal baby bottle?
- Tips for baby bottle usage
A baby bottle can be used to feed formula or milk for babies aged one or older. Feeding bottles for babies come in various sizes and with several nipple choices. Picking the best can be overwhelming, considering the plethora of options you have in the market.
21 Best Baby Bottles
Key benefit: The bottle has a specialized nipple valve that directs air towards the bottle instead of the baby’s tummy, thus making it the best baby feeding bottle for gassy and colicky infants.
- The wider nipple comes closest in appearance to the breast nipple, which makes the bottle ideal for mothers looking to combine bottle feeding with nursing.
- The silicone nipple is soft and easy to latch on to for babies.
- The specialized “petal” design prevents nipple collapse when the baby releases it.
- The nipple section is easy to disassemble and clean.
- The bottle comes in volume capacities of 2, 4, 9, and 11 ounces (60, 118, 266, and 325 ml).
- Ships with a slow flow nipple for babies older than a month. The bottle is made from BPA-free polypropylene.
Shop Related Products:
Key benefit: You can boil the bottles on a stove, in a microwave, or a dishwasher to sterilize it.
- The bottle’s body is entirely made of silicone, which makes it flexible and unbreakable. No BPA, PVC, and phthalate.
- The silicone body makes it easy to clean the bottle without the need of a bottle cleaning brush.
- There are only fours parts: the main bottle, a stopper ring, the nipple, and the cap.
- Dual vents on the nipple allow air passage and reduce the risk of the baby gulping down air.
- The bottle can sustain a maximum temperature of 120°C (248°F).
- The bottle volume is 8oz. (236 ml), and ships with a medium flow nipple suitable for babies between the ages of three to six months. Parents can buy other nipples separately. Bottles are available in other sizes as well.
Shop Related Products:
Key benefit: The bottles are made with tempered glass, which makes it one of the strongest and best baby glass bottles.
- The tempered glass material makes it naturally free of any plastic-based chemicals and other chemicals such as BPA, phthalate, and PVC.
- The soft silicone nipple is easy to disassemble and contains micro vents to prevent nipple collapse.
- The bottle mouth rings are designed to fit into most breast pumps, which means you can pump directly into the bottle.
- Ergonomic bottle shape makes it easier for a parent to hold the bottle while holding the baby in the lap.
- The bottle holds 8oz. (236ml) of liquid and has a slow flow nipple. It is available in 4oz. (118ml) capacity too and comes in a pack of six.
Shop Related Products:
Key benefit: A patented liquid vent system reduces the flow of air from outside into the formula/milk. Less aeration may help retain the best nutritional value of the milk. If your baby tends to slurp and gulp excessive air, then this bottle can help prevent liquid aeration and excessive air gulping.
- Slow flow nipple in combination with the special vent prevents the baby from ingesting air and also reduces aeration of the milk.
- The rings on the mouth are designed to fit the most popular breast pumps so you can pump directly.
- Made from BPA-free plastic, which is dishwasher safe.
- The soft silicone nipple is ridged in a way to prevent nipple collapse.
- The bottle volume is 8oz. (236ml) and is available in other volumes as well.
Shop Related Products:
Key benefit: The nipple is shaped like a breast nipple and accepted by babies almost immediately. The bottle is suitable for mothers who want to switch between nursing and bottle feeding on the go.
- The silicone bottle nipple is shaped like a breast nipple to allow a natural latch.
- An air valve helps equalize the air pressure, which prevents the baby from ingesting air and reduces the risk of colic.
- Made from BPA-free plastic. Contours on the bottle make it convenient for a parent to hold it while feeding the baby.
- Ships with a slow flow nipple. The bottle capacity is 9oz. (266ml).
Shop Related Products:
Key benefit: A high-grip, silicone sleeve covers the exterior of the glass bottle. If you only prefer glass bottles and intend to give them to your baby to hold, then this baby feeding bottle will be the best choice.
- Made with glass, which makes the bottle naturally free of BPA, PVC, phthalate, and other plastic-based compounds.
- Removable silicone sleeve with non-slippery surface offers optimum grip for both the baby and the parents.
- The entire bottle, including the silicone sleeve, is safe to wash in a dishwasher. All raw materials are US FDA approved.
- The nipple is made from soft silicone and enables a slow flow of milk.
- The mouth rings are designed to fit into most breast pumps.
- The bottle comes in 4oz. (118ml) capacity with various color options for the silicone sleeve. Other volume capacities are also available.
Key benefit: A set of four bottles, with separate bottles for slow flow and medium flow. Ideal for long-term usage.
- The set contains two 4oz. (118ml) bottles with stage one (slow flow) nipples, two 8oz. (236ml) bottles with stage two (medium flow) nipples, one newborn pacifier, and a bottle cleaning brush.
- The silicone nipple is flexible and moves at its place. It means the bottle stays in place even when the baby tilts or moves their head while feeding.
- The nipple stretches just like the real breast nipple and can help the baby maintain adequate suction and also prevents ingestion of air.
- Mouth rings are designed to fit into most breast pumps so that you can pump breast milk into the bottle directly.
- Made with BPA-free raw materials. Bottle safe to wash in a dishwasher.
Key benefit: The bottle is available in 4oz. (118 ml) volume only. It is intended for younger infants who need smaller servings.
- The bottle is made with high-quality borosilicate glass, which is heat and shock resistant.
- The flexible, spiral nipple is wide and resembles a breast nipple, allowing the newborn an easy latch.
- Air vents within the nipple allow the air to flow within the bottle instead of going into the baby’s mouth.
- The bottle comes with a slow flow nipple, but can be upgraded with other Philips Avent nipples as the baby grows.
- Since the bottle is made from glass, it is naturally free of BPA.
Key benefit: This bottle attaches to nearly all popular Medela breast pumps thus removing the need to have a separate storage bottle for expressed milk.
- The bottle comes with nipples and a cap, letting you convert it from feeding bottle to storage bottle.
- Made from BPA-free plastic. Dishwasher and microwave safe.
- The silicone nipple is easy to latch and comes with a wide, slow flow nipple.
- It is a 5oz. (147ml) bottle available in a pack of three, two or six.
Key benefit: This baby feeding bottle almost entirely resembles the shape of a breast. The concave base prevents the milk from losing much heat when stored. The design of the bottle and its purpose makes it the best bottle to store and feed expressed breast milk.
- The bottle has a unique dome-like design with a base that concaves to the inside.
- Freshly stored expressed milk does not lose heat rapidly due to the unique design of the bottle’s base, which is patented by the manufacturer.
- The concave base helps in quick and equal distribution of the heat each time you reheat the milk. Milk becomes warmer faster in this bottle than it does in other feeding bottles.
- The nipple has a valve that prevents the baby from ingesting air.
- Easy to clean and easy to store since you can stack the bottles on top of one another.
- Made with materials that are free of BPA and phthalate.
- The bottle volume is 5oz. (147ml). It comes with a slow flow nipple and an adapter to attach to a breast pump directly.
Key benefit: It is specially designed for preparing formula. The formula powder and water are put in different compartments and mix when shaken. The best bottle for babies on formula.
- The lower compartment of the bottle holds water while the middle section contains the formula powder. Two buttons by the side of the middle section release the formula into the water when needed. All you
- have to do is shake the bottle to mix the formula well.
- The design is especially useful for busy Moms who don’t want to deal with the hassles of mixing the formula on-the-go. Just load the formula and the water into the bottle, and shake it well to make formula anytime, anywhere.
- The air vent on the nipple prevents baby from ingesting air while feeding.
- It is made from material free of BPA, latex, PET, phthalates, and PVC.
- The bottle capacity is 5oz. (147ml). It comes with a slow-flow nipple.
Key benefit: The bottle has Dr. Brown’s patented vent system to reduce ingestion of air by and prevent aeration of the milk. You can remove the vent tube and use the bottle the conventional way if you like. It allows you to use the bottle even when the baby is older and their feeding is better established.
- It is made entirely of glass, which makes it naturally free of PVC, BPA, and other harmful compounds.
- The patented vent system eliminates vacuum build-up, which may cause the baby to ingest a lot of air suddenly.
- Use the vent system until the baby is young. For older babies, remove the vent and use the bottle the conventional way to feed directly from the nipple.
- The spiral-shaped, slow flow nipple provides a natural latch.
- The bottle volume is 5oz. (147ml), and comes in a pack of three or more.
Key benefit: Simple and easy-to-clean design. The clear plastic almost looks like glass.
- The nipple is shaped like the mom’s breast nipple and is flexible enough to accommodate the baby’s movements during the feed.
- The contours on the bottle make holding it easier for a caregiver and also the baby.
- An anti-colic valve regulates air flow and reduces the chances of the baby becoming gassy and colicky after a feed.
- The bottle comes in 5oz. (147ml) and 9oz. (266ml) capacities, with a slow flow nipple.
Key benefit: A compact silicone bottle that is easy to carry anywhere.
- From the body of the bottle to the nipple, nearly everything is made of silicone.
- The nipple is flexible and resembles the breast nipple. Dual vents on the nipple help prevent ingestion of excessive air.
- The nipple is slightly off-center to prevent residue. The bottle’s wide neck makes it easier to clean it with hand.
- The silicone used is 100% non-toxic and dishwasher-safe.
- Since the bottle is made from silicone, it is free of BPA, PVC, and phthalate.
- The bottle volume is 8oz. (236ml) and comes with a medium flow nipple. The bottle is also available in 4oz. (118ml) capacity, which comes with a slow flow nipple.
15. MAM Baby Bottles
Key benefit: You can stack all parts of the bottle on top of one another, pour water inside the bottle, and sterilize the bottle in the microwave.
- Unlike several other bottles that have holes on the nipple, this one has on the base. The removable base of the bottle contains several holes to allow air flow while feeding and reducing the chances of vacuum buildup.
- The self-sterilization feature allows you to sterilize the bottle quickly. Fill the bottle cap with water, transfer it to the base, then stack all the components on top of the base. Place the bottle in microwave and
- heat for three minutes on the maximum heat setting. Let the bottle cool for 10 minutes to complete the sterilization process.
- The nipple is textured to fit into the mouth of the baby easily.
- An air valve on the nipple prevents the nipple from collapsing.
- The bottle opens from both ends and is easy to clean.
- The bottle has a capacity of 5oz. (147ml) and comes in a pack of two. The nipple shipped with the bottle is a slow flow nipple.
Key benefit: Disposable, single-use baby bottles that are made from recyclable plastic. This product makes an excellent choice when you are traveling or during moments when you do not have access to a sterilized bottle.
- Each disposable bottle and nipple is factory-sterilized. It means you can fill it with milk or formula right out of the box and feed your baby.
- The plastic used in making the bottle is recyclable and does not contain BPA and phthalate.
- Each bottle has measuring lines so that you know the quantity of fluid you poured into the bottle.
- The capacity of each bottle is 9oz (266ml). The product comes in a pack of 10, with a fast flow nipple, which is ideal for babies older than six months.
Key benefit: Bottle is angled such that the milk does not flow with high intensity into the baby’s mouth. The bottle is thus suitable to feed babies with reflux and colic.
- The vent at the bottom of the bottle prevents the formation of a vacuum and allows for a smooth flow of air.
- The tilted angle of the bottle prevents gravity from rushing the milk downwards and allows better control of the flow while feeding.
- A plastic feeding bottle free of BPA, PVC, and phthalate.
- The bottle comes in a pack of three with the capacity of each bottle being 9oz. (266ml). It comes with a medium flow nipple that is ideal for babies aged three to six months. The 6oz. (177ml) bottle comes with
- a slow flow nipple, which is suitable for babies from birth to three months.
Key benefit: Easy to clean silicone baby bottle, with a removable plastic sleeve. Push the silicone out to separate it from the plastic sleeve to clean the main bottle component separately.
- Soft silicone nipple resembles natural breast nipple, which allows the baby to latch easily.
- An inner silicone bottle goes through a removable plastic sleeve. Press the silicone bottle outwards from below, and it comes out of the sleeve. It allows you to wash the bottle easily.
- Made with food-grade silicone and the outer plastic sleeve is made from polypropylene. It does not contain any BPA, PVC, latex, and phthalates.
- Safe to sterilize in boiling water, microwave, and also safe to place in a freezer.
- The bottle volume is 8oz (236ml) and comes with a stage-one nipple, which is a slow flow nipple. You can also purchase extra nipples suitable for older babies.
Key benefit: This bottle is made with a variant of plastic called PPSU, which stands for polyphenylsulfone. The material is durable and does not absorb color, develop an odor, and can be sterilized several times without degenerating. It is one of the best durable plastic feeding bottles.
- It has a sturdy design and made with material free of BPA, phthalate, and lead.
- The vent on the bottle’s nipple helps prevent the baby from ingesting air and prevents suction.
- The large diameter of the nipple allows for a secure latch. The nipple design helps to switch between breast-to-bottle and bottle-to-breast feeding easily.
- The bottle comes in 9oz. (266ml) and 5oz (147.8ml) capacities, and comes with a medium flow nipple.
Key benefit: It is a feeding bottle and a sipper. It means you can continue using the bottle even when the baby has transitioned into toddlerhood.
- You get a nipple, a spout (to make it a sippy cup), and a straw to make it bottle sipper. Swap the components of the bottle to convert into the various styles.
- A removable double-sided handle that goes onto the bottle makes it easy for the baby to hold.
- Made from plastic containing no BPA, phthalates, and lead.
- The bottle capacity is 9oz. (266ml) and comes in a pack of two. The bottle comes with a slow flow nipple, medium flow nipple, sippy spout, and straw for each bottle.
Key benefit: If you are looking for a popular brand that has been around for a long time, then Lansinoh is the one for you. The brand has been making maternal care products for several decades, and their feeding bottle is one of the most rated product.
- The nipple is designed to prevent nipple confusion when the baby is transitioning from breast to the bottle.
- The air ventilation system helps curtail intake of gas, reduces chances of colic and spit up. There are no extra parts for the ventilation system, which makes it easy to clean.
- It is made with BPA-free plastic. The bottle and nipples are dishwasher-safe.
- The bottle has a capacity of 5oz. (147ml) and comes in a pack of three, with slow flow nipples. You can buy bottles of higher capacities too.
What Are The Different Types Of Baby Bottles?
Baby bottles can be categorized based on the material they are made of. Typically, four types of materials are used to make baby feeding bottles:
- Plastic: It is by far the most common material used for making bottles for babies. Bottle manufacturers use high-quality polyethylene or polypropylene plastic to make these bottles. The raw materials do not contain bisphenol A (BPA), which makes modern plastic feeding bottles safe. Since plastic does not shatter, it is often the first choice for parents. On the flip side, plastic may not last longer when compared to glass or stainless steel.
- Glass: Glass was the default material for baby bottles before the advent of plastic. Glass bottles are safe and are long-lasting. However, glass can be prone to shattering and chipping, which can be hazardous to a baby. Most manufacturers give silicone sleeves to go over the bottle and provide optimum grip to the holder.
- Silicone: Bottles made from silicone tend to be soft and flexible in movement. The material is naturally free of BPA and durable. They are also more resilient to heat. Silicone bottles can be prone to cracking when subjected to extreme flexing or rough-handling.
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel bottles are unbreakable and will last the longest. They are also multi-purpose. But stainless steel bottles are opaque, which makes it impossible to see the quantity of liquid inside the bottle and harder to clean. It makes them less preferable when compared to other materials.
Bottles are also classified based on the type of nipple they feature. The following are the standard parameters for differentiating the nipples:
- Shape: Here you can choose from orthodontic nipples or traditional nipples. Traditional nipples look like a standard dome-shaped nipple while orthodontic nipples have a sleek shape resembling the breast nipple thus fitting into the baby’s mouth better.
- Flow: Slow flow nipples allow for a steadier flow of the fluids, making it quite close to the natural flow of the milk from the breast. Medium to high flow nipples are ideal for toddlers who can gulp down higher quantities of liquids.
How To Pick The Ideal Baby Bottle?
Choosing the right baby bottle depends on the usage and the needs of the baby. Here are some salient points about picking the right baby feeding bottle:
- A glass bottle is ideal when parents feed: If you or a caretaker will feed the baby in their arms, then glass can be a good option. Giving a glass bottle to a baby or toddler to hold can be risky since glass is heavy. Several manufacturers ship glass bottles with silicone or rubber sleeves that go over the glass to insulate from bumps and provide grip.
- Slow flow nipples for newborns: Breastfeeding is the best for your baby. However, if for some reason, you need to bottle feed a baby before six months, then only use slow flow nipples, which make bottle feeding similar to breastfeeding.
Medical experts also recommend starting with the slowest flow nipples (1). For infants between three to six months, you can use medium flow nipples. You can use fast flow nipples for a baby older than six months.
Tips For Baby Bottle Usage
Here are a couple of tips that can help you use baby feeding bottles safely:
- Check bottles periodically: Look out for any signs of wear and tear of the bottle, especially around the nipple. Teething babies can bite the nipple, which can cause the nipple to crack and compromise the flow.
Discard any damaged nipples and get a new one. When using plastic bottles, check for any signs of damage, and in the case of glass bottles, check for any chipping due to impact.
- Follow manufacturer’s recommendation for sterilization: Stick to the owner’s manual or leaflet says for sterilizing the bottle, to avoid irreversible damage.
A baby bottle is highly convenient for Moms: it allows formula feeding when you decide to get back to work, stores expressed breast milk, and gives the other family members a chance to feed the baby. When picking a bottle, choose the one that best works for your baby’s age and your feeding style. With proper care, you should be able to put the feeding bottle to optimal use.
What was your choice of baby feeding bottle? Do tell us by leaving a comment in the section below.